ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Experimenting with Other Programming Languages

<< < (5/6) > >>

ewemoa:
One of the features that caught my eye was the debugger -- I didn't quite get it to work on my *nix installation though.  Of course there's the official debugger, but I was looking for something a bit more flashy.

In the mean time I'm using Devel::REPL for some interactive development -- which is better than nothing, but it leaves me feeling that it needs some love and attention...

In any case, good luck with your Perl-ing!

x16wda:
I'd like to branch out from my current language of choice (Rexx, which I've been using for the last 25 years). Coincidentally I have a need for a small routine written in Lua. Should I just hit lua.org and go through the live demo? I know I ought to buy the book and support the project, but I just wanted something fairly basic to play with at the beginning. Does anyone have some suggestions on the various online resources? Some tutorials can be better than others...

ewemoa:
Haven't done much recently with Lua, but I remember the lua-users site to be helpful and specifically the Learning Lua wiki page to be a relevant starting point for learning lua.

I understand it's used for extension in a number of projects -- e.g. VLC, wireshark, etc, -- and this presents one potentially nice approach for learning the language: identify a project (preferably one you have interest in) that's using it for plugins/extensions and start studying the existing plugins/extensions, including modifying them and writing one's own.

Jibz:
The first edition of Programming in Lua is available free online, and is still a good resource when learning the language.

x16wda:
Thanks for the hints folks, I'll start playing around with it this week lwatcdr.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version