ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Experimenting with Other Programming Languages

<< < (3/6) > >>

ewemoa:
Why not LISP?
-Tuxman (November 13, 2014, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've started working my way through Clojure for the Brave and True.  Pretty nice so far.

mouser:
Phew, 16 days later and I have released my first Android/Java app.  Details here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=39626

Two languages down and now I have to take a break and concentrate on updating my "real" programs and working a bit more on NANY 2015.  Will resume the programming language experiment in 2015.

mouser:
From my experience with Android, I just want to make a plug for the IntelliJ IDE for android development.  I can't really compare it to Eclipse, the giant multi-language more well known IDE for Android, except to say that the last time I used eclipse I found it quite overwhelming.  IntelliJ is still a monster of an IDE feature-wise, but it seems more manageable to me.

IntelliJ is a commercial product, but there is a free community edition, and if you are actively involved in an open-source project you can apply for a free open-source full license.  IntelliJ was also repackaged as Android Studio which looks to be a great free solution for new Android developers.

When I'm coding in a plain vanilla language (like C++), an IDE is not all that important -- but for something like android, the autocomplete features of the IDE are indispensable, and IntelliJ does a very nice job with such things, and just in general makes it much less stressful learning about android project structure organization and building.  There is a *lot* of confusing overhead involved in building android projects that has nothing to do with programming and everything to do with build management and file structures, etc., so I welcome any help I can get.

40hz:
Why not LISP?
-Tuxman (November 13, 2014, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've started working my way through Clojure for the Brave and True.  Pretty nice so far.
-ewemoa (December 02, 2014, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That one looks very interesting. I think I'm going to give it a whirl. :Thmbsup:

Ath:
I'll not bite in the IDE-wars (again) ;)

The last couple of days I had to dive into perl, as one of our Jira required plug-ins (Jira Commit Acceptance) is no longer supported on the latest Jira version (6.3) that we want to migrate to, and 'only' a perl script is available as an alternative.
The script was, ofcourse, 80% right for what we need, but that last 20% had to be added as well (multiple issue-numbers in a commit-message all must apply to the set rules, the issue must exist and not have a 'Resolution' set).

It's been a pleasant surprise on the ease of getting into some (to me) trickery stuff/features of the language (and Google is my friend :P), as perl combines a lot of features from Java/C-like languages, bash shell scripts and the basic-ish language I've come to like in AutoIt3.
Ofcourse I'm not (yet) creating (or planning) full-fledged applications in perl any time soon, but it is been really easy to use. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version