ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SPAM reaching epidemic proportions

<< < (4/9) > >>

JavaJones:
I have my own domain and have a catch-all address setup to filter into a specific folder which gets more heavily spam checked. I have a few specific addresses filtering into my main Inbox, the rest go in there. I can make up any address @oshyan.com any time I want and then later if it starts getting heavily spammed I can just file it straight into the trashbin. It's nice because I can make very descriptive addresses to help me determine who sells my info on, etc. I can make one for newegg, one for donation coder, etc. and if someone ever sends to newegg AT oshyan.com I know Newegg is either selling my info or has had a security breach.

- Oshyan

JeffK:
Having your own doamin for email is a very good idea.  And if you have you will probably find that the spam you get is adressed to info@yourdomain, wemaster@, support@, sales@ and so on.  You can safely block and/or delete all email to these addresses.

Jeff

Carol Haynes:
That's what I am doing now - I am filtering out everything that isn't delivered via specific addesses and it has certainly cut out a lot of crap. My biggest problem is that my ISP is heavily hit by spammers using dictionary attack techniques and so I get tons of rubbish just because my name is Carol !! Damn nuisance. The only trouble is I get some legitimate mail to this address too.

Edvard:
I sympathize heavily Carol. I get 300+ spam emails over the weekends and about 50 or so during the day. It doesn't seem like the future of spam is going to change anytime soon and for every spam fighting technique there is a matching anti-spam-fighting technique. For personal webmail use, I have gone with Bluebottle and Cashette. They both work with an "allowed" list and Challenge/Response filtering. Bluebottle can even act as a filter with their forwarding service, and Cashette has a pay scale for receiving advertising email (get paid for spam!). So far, for work, K9 has done a very good job at dumping the garbage and gleaning the gold, even though some of the commercial solutions appear to be better. I'm either too poor or miserly to try them out. One feature I use a lot is the "WhiteList" where I can put in emails that will be classed good all the time. Too bad it isn't automatic, it's a text file where you can define good addresses, subjects, regex's and stuff. Also for some reason it bogs my CPU at random intervals. Ah, the price you pay for a little peace of mind.

Carol Haynes:
Actually having gone back to Mailwasher (combined with FirstAlert and SpamCop) after a long break I am finding it very useful. The 'multiple cc to carol*' filter is quite effective against my ISP spam as it is usually addressed to at least 10 'carols' and so is easily identifiable. As I get legitimate mail to that address I'll move subscriptions to alternatives and then eventually I can just do a 'dump the lot' approach on that address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version