topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any fans of the TV Sci-Fi show "A Town Called Eureka"?  (Read 6103 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any fans of the TV Sci-Fi show "A Town Called Eureka"?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »
ATCE-Show-Image_0.jpg

Eureka is an American science fiction television series that premiered on Syfy on July 18, 2006. The fifth and final season ended on July 16, 2012. The show is set in a fictional town in Oregon called Eureka (although, in the pilot episode, Eureka was located in Washington State). Inhabited almost entirely by scientific geniuses, most residents of Eureka work for Global Dynamics - an advanced research facility responsible for the development of nearly all major technological breakthroughs since its inception. Each episode features a mysterious accidental or intentional misuse of technology, which the town sheriff, Jack Carter, then solves with the help of town scientists. Each season also features a larger story arc that concerns a particular major event or item.
-Wikipedia

I honestly LOVED this show, and watched all 5 seasons around 6 times each...It never got old and I still hate the fact it got cancelled and yet the SyFy network still play crap like Sharknado and Warehouse 13 :(

One of the best TV Sci-Fi shows ever created as far as I am concerned.  Anybody else watch and fall in love with the show?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any fans of the TV Sci-Fi show "A Town Called Eureka"?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Well, Warehouse 13 was campy fun, but it has ended! : (

And SyFy TV grade C movies don't count - they're one offs and always there.

But I did do a marathon of Eureka this summer. Fun little show!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57 AM »

From what I understand, the reason Eureka got cancelled was due to a dispute from the main cast over what they should be paid.  Stupid reason to can a show that was so good though :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:02 PM »
I watched it sporadically. (GF was a big fan.) But she felt it sort of went off the deep end the last season. Said she didn't much care for it once that space travel project got underway.

Liked what little I saw. Especially scenes with Felicia Day in them. Too bad they didn't give her and Allison. Scagliotti from WH13 their own show. Maybe the promised but never delivered WH12 which was to be set in the Victorian Age. Make them the top two agents. Bring back Jamie Murray ("HG") as the conservator-in-charge...
 ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I watched it sporadically. (GF was a big fan.) But she felt it sort of went off the deep end the last season. Said she didn't much care for it once that space travel project got underway.

Liked what little I saw. Especially scenes with Felicia Day in them. Too bad they didn't give her and Allison. Scagliotti from WH13 their own show. Maybe the promised but never delivered WH12 which was to be set in the Victorian Age. Make them the top two agents. Bring back Jamie Murray ("HG") as the conservator-in-charge...
 ;)

I must admit, the Space Program for me was a really good story-line for me.  I agree Season 5 kinda went downhill and you could really feel they tried to end the show really quickly...but the end of it pissed me off hugely as it was left WIDE open (Although I won't explain how here as I wouldn't wanna give spoilers to anybody who wants to watch and didn't yet) :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24 PM »

From what I understand, the reason Eureka got cancelled was due to a dispute from the main cast over what they should be paid.  Stupid reason to can a show that was so good though :(

Well, if it's anything like the last season of House MD, it's not so stupid to the actors! Very badly paraphrasing from what I read elsewhere, the show producers said, "we want to 'cut costs'. So let's pay you gang *less* than we paid you last season!"

As I understand it, that's the chief reason Lisa Edelstein / Cuddy left, along with a couple of others.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:29 PM »

Well, if it's anything like the last season of House MD, it's not so stupid to the actors! Very badly paraphrasing from what I read elsewhere, the show producers said, "we want to 'cut costs'. So let's pay you gang *less* than we paid you last season!"

As I understand it, that's the chief reason Lisa Edelstein / Cuddy left, along with a couple of others.

Yeah, to me it doesn't make sense to try pay the actors LESS than the previous seasons when the show is gaining in popularity and bringing in LOADS of money for the station.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Eureka was an awesome show at the beginning, but it took a turn for the worse when they started ignoring their own world-building. Remember in the first season it was established that Eureka was a top-secret government project and its entrance was hidden from the world so that strangers couldn't pop in unannounced?

Fast forward a few seasons and you start seeing story-lines centered around strangers popping into town unannounced. :)   Even without the contract dispute I really don't see it having lasted much longer. The writers were running out of ideas and didn't know what to do with the characters.

Warehouse 13 was a very enjoyable show. The quality between episodes wasn't always high, but it was nearly always entertaining. It ended right where it needed to. The characters had run their course, but I see a lot of untapped potential with the premise of the show. Maybe in a couple years there will be a Warehouse 14 with an entirely new cast.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Eureka was an awesome show at the beginning, but it took a turn for the worse when they started ignoring their own world-building. Remember in the first season it was established that Eureka was a top-secret government project and its entrance was hidden from the world so that strangers couldn't pop in unannounced?

Fast forward a few seasons and you start seeing story-lines centered around strangers popping into town unannounced. :)   Even without the contract dispute I really don't see it having lasted much longer. The writers were running out of ideas and didn't know what to do with the characters.

Warehouse 13 was a very enjoyable show. The quality between episodes wasn't always high, but it was nearly always entertaining. It ended right where it needed to. The characters had run their course, but I see a lot of untapped potential with the premise of the show. Maybe in a couple years there will be a Warehouse 14 with an entirely new cast.

I thought in Warehouse 13 It wasn't so much the characters running their course, as after the brilliant 2nd Season they got stuck trying to follow the double act of Egyptian-Awesome and Helena Wells stealing the show! So season 3 was a little tricky. But then when one writer hands you a broken script the others have to now deal with it. So once the Astrolabe entered the picture, with the power to *reset the entire world*, "only" at the cost that it just makes the user crazy, they created an Elephant in the Room. So the whole Dark Artie season 4 faltered.

C. C. H. Pounder / Mrs. Frederic mastered her "one-act" of stern glares, but I'm betting the actress began to grow tired of the role because she tended to have useful tips, but didn't "do much" to "save the warehouse". And then the last season had too few episodes for what I thought was a really promising premise.

If I recall the show correctly, Paracelsus was among the smartest of all the caretakers. To me, he showed the true danger of the warehouse: each artifact is nasty all by itself. But when you start playing Magic, the Artifacts Gathering and smashing them together, TRULY astounding things are possible!

Some can be really good, if used responsibly. All of Season 4 was about Artie's desperate attempt to undo the total warehouse destruction.

I'm borrowing a bit of chess concepts here.  Let's call Artie a "Master" of the warehouse. He's pretty good. But his solution was the Astrolabe that only worked for 24 hours, and left him insane.

Paracelsus smashed three artifacts together, and created a *full time machine* with *apparently no downsides*.  

So that should have scared the beejees out of Mrs. Frederic, because Paracelsus was a "Grandmaster" who just happened to be a psycho.

Plus, using the mid season break, the Season 5 opener had some of the best set design ever in the show.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the significance or meaning of the spelling 'EUReKA' on the town's sign? :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I rather liked Eureka. I never really was annoyed much by much going on in the show as it developed. There were a few characters that I didn't like at all, and others that were fantastic. Fargo was hilarious and really helped make the show what it was.

Warehouse 13, well... as it went on, I started to get annoyed by some of the characters. They morphed into, well... I just didn't like some of them. Claudia... She was such a wonderful, fun character to start with, but become this nasty, jaded shell of her former self later on. I really started to hate Claudia. Steve and Pete on the other hand... Always fun characters. Even when Steve is whiny and desperate (which was still a bit annoying).

Especially scenes with Felicia Day in them.

Felicia Day plays some of the most brilliant, wonderful characters! She's also in Supernatural from time to time, and those episodes are always fantastic. She just brings a whole new level of fun and energy to whatever show she's on.

I think the first time I saw her was on Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. That was a brilliant show! The long promised sequel has yet to materialise though.

One show that really never should have been canceled so unceremoniously was Farscape. It really was fantastic for building its own, unique universe, similar to how Eureka and Warehouse 13 build their own worlds. Still... Farscape did a much better job at universe building than either Eureka or Warehouse 13.

But hey, why create a profitable masterpiece when you can have low-budget reality shows that insult your intelligence and are enough to drive any sane person to suicide simply to escape from them?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker