topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need a hand with a laptop issue.  (Read 4070 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need a hand with a laptop issue.
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Long story short...this damn laptop is pissing me off something chronic.

Basically...it runs smooth as a baby's ass when it is running on battery power...Everything works perfectly...yet...if I plug it into the wall...HOLY LAG BATMAN...

Anybody any clues wtf could be happening?

It is a Acer Aspire E 15 (If that helps anybody help me)!

Thanks in advance!

~Stephen

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need a hand with a laptop issue.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:34 PM »
That's very weird. Sounds like your power management settings may be screwed up. Try resetting PM to the default and see if the problem improves. Once you're there you can customize power plans and settings via the control panel. I have everything set to high performance when running on AC.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:01 PM »
When a laptop is connected to the mains, it will start to run (background) tasks that aren't allowed to run when on battery power. Defragging your partition(s), re-indexing Windows Search and similar stuff.

Perhaps that is the reason for the lag you experience.

At least, verifying which tasks are executed when on main power would be the first thing I would do...then deciding if those tasks are worth it or to let these run overnight to get them out of the way + adjusting intervals.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Shades guess is interesting.  Maybe a thing to do is keep it off mains, bring up Process List (ctrl+alt+del), sort by cpu use, and then when its running well, plug it into mains and see if any new processes start running or using cpu.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:20 PM »
When a laptop is connected to the mains, it will start to run (background) tasks that aren't allowed to run when on battery power. Defragging your partition(s), re-indexing Windows Search and similar stuff.

Perhaps that is the reason for the lag you experience.

At least, verifying which tasks are executed when on main power would be the first thing I would do...then deciding if those tasks are worth it or to let these run overnight to get them out of the way + adjusting intervals.

Wouldn't background tasks show up somewhere, either in generic Task Manager or something more hi-tech?
So what if you took screenshots of both conditions and compare them?

Edit:
I was joking with Stephen in the chat with some pseudo-Scorpion technobabble, but this really does sound like what my minor deity of the week used to blog about.

SysInternal's list of process utilities
http://technet.micro...ysinternals/bb795533

Example blog: The case of the slooooow system
http://blogs.technet...8/09/24/3126858.aspx

Epic quote:
" I suspected that something was hogging the CPU and likely could have resolved the problem simply by logging off or rebooting, but knew that if I didn’t determine the root cause and address it, she’d likely be calling on my technical support services again in the near future. In any case, stooping to that kind of troubleshooting hack is beneath my dignity. I therefore set out to investigate. "
(Corollary: When your husband is Mark R, you don't get cheap 4th world type tech answers!!)

More of his blogs about slow stuff:
http://blogs.technet...2/07/02/3506849.aspx
http://blogs.technet...9/05/26/3244913.aspx
http://blogs.technet...0/12/07/3373406.aspx

Stephen, of course, being the genius head of Scorpion with a 197 IQ, will find a clue in one of these tools and blogs, and fix his system. As Administrative Assistant, I'll just send these off to Scorpion, head of writing!
:P

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:42 PM by TaoPhoenix »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Wouldn't background tasks show up somewhere, either in generic Task Manager or something more hi-tech?

Yes, the often forgotten and frequently never use - but as of the last few OSs insanely popular - Scheduled Tasks.