topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches  (Read 9385 times)

gaikokujinkyofusho

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Hi, I am trying to figure out how to "send" opera searches from FARR, that is be able to type something like:

www g search-term

And have it open opera up in google looking for "search-term" (though i have a bunch of others, not just google). It seems kind of redundant to put in all the searches i use in opera into FARR as well, when it would be much easier to just be able to type something out in FARR and have it use opera's search terms. I am sure this is possible but i just haven't been able to figure out how.  Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Easy, modify the SEARCH group under the groups tab on FARR. You can add custom entries with this, just follow the examples listed. Basically, to add a new one it would be in a format like such

fileforum $$1 | http://fileforum.bet...s.com/search?search=$$1

Where you replace the text after ?search= with $$1 to send your input string to the command. FARR then forwards this to your default browser.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Ok... Here's a way to create a group alias, that you can type:

o g foobar

and it'll search for foobar in opera. This will work for everything defined in opera.
Remember that you'll have to change the path to the path where you have opera installed. I you'd like to use another prefix, just replace 'o' for anything else. (leave the ^ at the beggining of the prefix).

Screenshot-06_06_08,00_28_29_thumb.pngUsing FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches
(click to zoom in)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Way cool.  I finally see some real benefit to alias'! 

One note: if you have multiple versions of opera open it doesn't necessary choose the one you want.  I had both Opera 8 and Opera 9 up (Opera 8 is email only... don't trust 9 just yet!), and it kept opening the search in Opera 8.  I closed 8 and it opened right up in 9.  Yes, they are in different paths and I used the correct path.  Just a minor quirk!

Kevin

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:49 AM »
@kfitting:
HeHe... Alias have a bunch of useful features, actually ;)
You got that behaviour while using the alias i posted?
Try placing " " before and after the name:
"c:\program files\opera 9 beta\opera.exe" "$$1"

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40 AM »
I'll give it a try.  One other thing... with the alias named starting with Opera (I used "Opera Search") if I launch FRR to open Opera, I only get the alias as a result, the exe's no longer show.  I tried decreasing the alias from 1000 to 100 but to no avail.  Any ideas?

Oh, I knew alias' were extremely powerful... I just never quite got my head wrapped around them from the begginning (which, if you read some of the first threads on them, you can verify!).  I use FRR for launching programs and this is something it does well natively.  Between not seeing a "need" and not understanding, I just let it go!  But this is one actually seems interesting.  Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 05:47 AM »
One other thing... with the alias named starting with Opera (I used "Opera Search") if I launch FRR to open Opera, I only get the alias as a result, the exe's no longer show.  I tried decreasing the alias from 1000 to 100 but to no avail. 
Oh, i think what your problem is. Go to the options menu, and under the tab "interface", uncheck "Stop search on exact alias match" ;)

I understand the problem with aliases, the regular expressions feature can scare people away. On the other hand, it's the most powerful feature about it!  :D

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Got it... thanks!

Kevin

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:06 AM »
I understand the problem with aliases, the regular expressions feature can scare people away. On the other hand, it's the most powerful feature about it!

I wish I would understand what you are doing :(
I installed FARR two days ago and have set various alias groups mainly to find and launch files I often use. This is pretty good but I am very keen on understanding your more sophisticated tricks.  If I set up the opera search as per your screenshoot, nothing happens. Besides, I don't quite understand how and where you are inputting the search string.
If my first input is opera (to look for the alias of Opera), how and where do I enter the actual term I am looking for.
Sorry if I am not very clear.  :-[

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 03:20 AM »
beethoven, the easiest way to see how it works is to use the search alias already pre-existing in farr.

just type for example:
search beethoven

and youll see a list of searches it can conduct on the web.

then by looking at that "search" alias you can probably figure out how to add a new one or modify your own, etc.

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 05:26 AM »
 :D just tried it and I am really amazed - there is so much more to discover with this program, guess I need a holiday to find the time to try everything  :o
I will try to read more on this forum, I am sure this should help a lot too :)

gaikokujinkyofusho

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 07:32 AM »
Ok... Here's a way to create a group alias, that you can type:

o g foobar

and it'll search for foobar in opera. This will work for everything defined in opera.
Remember that you'll have to change the path to the path where you have opera installed. I you'd like to use another prefix, just replace 'o' for anything else. (leave the ^ at the beggining of the prefix).

[ Invalid Attachment ]
(click to zoom in)

Hi, i posted about this and eventually got it working (thanks to the forums help). I could have *Sworn* i backed up the .ini but apparently it was the old one and not the modified one (doh!!!). So now i am back to where i started.

I have created a "opera" group in FARR using the syntax you did:

opera in opera |  "C:\Program Files\Internet\Opera9p2\opera.exe" "$$1"

(I have tried it w/o quotes too). but when i try to type something like "opera g searchwords" it gives me "found 0 matching files". I think i had this problem before but i can't for the life of me remember how it was resolved. Any ideas?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 07:56 AM »
gaikokujinkyofusho notice that i have something written in the "optional regular expression" field. You need that.
If you write something like:
^opera (.*)
It'll work just as you mentioned. Writing opera g foobar in farr will make a google search for foobar.

gaikokujinkyofusho

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 12:37 PM »
gaikokujinkyofusho notice that i have something written in the "optional regular expression" field. You need that.
If you write something like:
^opera (.*)
It'll work just as you mentioned. Writing opera g foobar in farr will make a google search for foobar.

Actually i do have that:

Group Alias Name: opera
Optional Regular Expression Pattern: ^opera (.*)
Results, programs, etc: opera in opera |  "C:\Program Files\Internet\Opera9p2\opera.exe" "$$1"

I have tried variations like:

opera in opera |  C:\Program Files\Internet\Opera9p2\opera.exe "$$1"

and

^o (.*)

but still nada.