ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Using FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches

(1/3) > >>

gaikokujinkyofusho:
Hi, I am trying to figure out how to "send" opera searches from FARR, that is be able to type something like:

www g search-term

And have it open opera up in google looking for "search-term" (though i have a bunch of others, not just google). It seems kind of redundant to put in all the searches i use in opera into FARR as well, when it would be much easier to just be able to type something out in FARR and have it use opera's search terms. I am sure this is possible but i just haven't been able to figure out how.  Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Josh:
Easy, modify the SEARCH group under the groups tab on FARR. You can add custom entries with this, just follow the examples listed. Basically, to add a new one it would be in a format like such

fileforum $$1 | http://fileforum.betanews.com/search?search=$$1

Where you replace the text after ?search= with $$1 to send your input string to the command. FARR then forwards this to your default browser.

jgpaiva:
Ok... Here's a way to create a group alias, that you can type:

o g foobar

and it'll search for foobar in opera. This will work for everything defined in opera.
Remember that you'll have to change the path to the path where you have opera installed. I you'd like to use another prefix, just replace 'o' for anything else. (leave the ^ at the beggining of the prefix).

Using FARR with custom Opera (9b2) searches
(click to zoom in)

kfitting:
Way cool.  I finally see some real benefit to alias'! 

One note: if you have multiple versions of opera open it doesn't necessary choose the one you want.  I had both Opera 8 and Opera 9 up (Opera 8 is email only... don't trust 9 just yet!), and it kept opening the search in Opera 8.  I closed 8 and it opened right up in 9.  Yes, they are in different paths and I used the correct path.  Just a minor quirk!

Kevin

jgpaiva:
@kfitting:
HeHe... Alias have a bunch of useful features, actually ;)
You got that behaviour while using the alias i posted?
Try placing " " before and after the name:

--- ---"c:\program files\opera 9 beta\opera.exe" "$$1"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version