topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: tablet toolbar creator (willing to pay)  (Read 8688 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: tablet toolbar creator (willing to pay)
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:53 PM »
So I've had a windows tablet for a couple of months now, and I'm itching for a decent toolbar creator.  I posted most of my thoughts here, below is a copy:
Well...I've been holding off on this trying to figure out which of mouser's programs would I want touchified first.  THe answer is pretty obvious...LBC.

The artist community has been having fits trying to deal with the lack of keyboards.  Some of the third party tools being used:
toolbar creator 2.2
touchkey
artdock
Radial Menu

none of them is really perfect, they all have major klunky issues.  But they get the job done if they work.  They don't all work on all windows devices (which is weird to me, why shouldn't they?)  The best one is actually touchkey, but it's pretty much all in japanese and you configure it with text files....so I need to set aside a couple of hours to learn that syntax. undecided

LBC would be perfect for this sort of thing.  But it needs to be touchified.  That means:
--being able to scale well on high-res devices.  Windows tablets are high res, and there are some interesting settings for scale and such.  Basically, it makes some programs look really odd and buttons and menus are too small or text is too small, etc...you have to be very precise with touching things that tiny.  So scaling needs to be addressed.

--Beyond scaling, individual buttons would need the ability to be resized.  That's what most of the programs listed above are specialized at (the other stuff is just what the button does if pressed, all already in LBC).  So you can make buttons bigger or smaller, etc.  Some even offer more interesting layouts than just rows and columns...radial menus, or masonry-style layouts...all handy to have.

--Ability to detect difference between a finger and a pen.  Sometimes you only want one of them, sometimes both.

I'd be willing to pay for this, maybe $100.  It sounds like the challenges are with the scalability of the buttons (high-dpi screens), interesting combinations of triggers (not just normal buttons, but press-hold, press-drag, press+release, etc.).  Most of the options listed above have these built in, but like I said, they just don't really work.  The other challenge seems to be compatibility with both the Wacom pens and the N-trig pens.

If it could be done in the usual high quality style of DC, that would be awesome.  I've already spent hours on this, that's why I feel I'm willing to pay for it.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: tablet toolbar creator (willing to pay)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43 AM »
Have you considered my tool WinButtons? (and probably ask for some specific enhancements?)
It doesn't have the press-hold, press-drag, press-release stuff (yet) but that can probably be added.

And, IMHO, DesktopCoral and LaunchBar Commander would be nice 'toolbars'

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Have you considered my tool WinButtons? (and probably ask for some specific enhancements?)
It doesn't have the press-hold, press-drag, press-release stuff (yet) but that can probably be added.

And, IMHO, DesktopCoral and LaunchBar Commander would be nice 'toolbars'
WHoa!  No I didn't know about that.  I'm going to fully test it out.  You will be hearing from me. 

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:32 PM »
It's excellent. I was able to put application-aware custom panels for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere onto a 10" MIMO touch screen for a friend who has bad arthritis and finds constant fiddling with mouse/menu/hotkey stuff increasingly difficult. The panel improved his life more than a little. Since the usual gear engaged in my brain is reverse, it's remarkable that this was possible, and a testament to Ath's skill.

Ath's willingness to help is impressive!

Thanks, Ath!  :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:11 PM »
It's excellent. I was able to put application-aware custom panels for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere onto a 10" MIMO touch screen for a friend who has bad arthritis and finds constant fiddling with mouse/menu/hotkey stuff increasingly difficult. The panel improved his life more than a little. Since the usual gear engaged in my brain is reverse, it's remarkable that this was possible, and a testament to Ath's skill.

Ath's willingness to help is impressive!

Thanks, Ath!  :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:

-cranioscopical (November 04, 2014, 08:32 PM)
Can I get a copy of the setup files or script?  I want to try it out also.  TIA!!!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:33 PM »
See PM

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:30 AM »
There is also Nexus- I formerly used that. (you can find it at winstep.net)