topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How can I back up and restore tray configuration, please>  (Read 3399 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How can I back up and restore tray configuration, please>
« on: October 31, 2014, 05:51 PM »
I run Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, UAC On, user account.  Lately I've had a number of BSODs.  When Windows finally crawls back into action, I usually find the tray has been partially scrambled.  The Network icon is usually missing, and the icons whose notifications I've customized are all set to Hide when inactive.

Please, is there any way to save the tray configuration for these, so I don't have to change them back to the way I want them by hand?

TIA...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How can I back up and restore tray configuration, please>
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I don't know where the settings are kept.  My first thought would be try ERUNT registry backup.

Note that it talks about NT but I still use it on Windows 8. If it gives an error try running it as Administrator.  Restoring with it changes fewer things than using a Restore Point.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:36 PM »
i wouldn't mess with any registry restoration unless you are damn sure its not changing other settings..

ajlixx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:14 AM »

settings are probably kept in key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

in values iconstreams and pasticonstreams (actual items amd past items, accordingly)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57 AM »
i wouldn't mess with any registry restoration unless you are damn sure its not changing other settings..

I've been using this since NT.  In the readme it details how to set up a rotating backup of 7 days(or you can set another number) so that every first boot of the day you are backed up.  The oldest is deleted on wrap around.  The hives backed up are described and you can choose which to back up.

If the specific settings can be isolated that's fine.  But most find ERUNT another layer of protection. There used to be an ERU command in Win9x which is what this emulates.

Even if set up for automatic run you can always run it manually after a program install or whatnot.  Hasn't burned me yet.  As noted in the readme the main issue is if you run the restore after booting from other than the HD.  In which case you need to change the restore batch file to use the correct drive letter.   Step by step is given in the readme.  It's a bit densely packed with info.  But in most cases to restore you just open the C:\erdnt folder and double click inside the saved folder(they are saved with date/time names by default) that you wish to load from.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:05 AM by MilesAhead »