ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts on the tech on the TV show Scorpion?

(1/5) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

So, another show has appeared about tech geniuses. For this thread, I'm skipping the controversy that Walter O'Brien is hyping himself, or casting problems, or plot cliches, etc.

I figured I'd ask y'all about the tech shown on the show.

Even to lil' ol' me, two categories stand out.

1. Ludicrous situations
In the pilot, supposedly the only way they could get some key software from point A to B was to fly a plane 8 feet above the ground and attach a cable!

2. Making things too hard for themselves
In another later episode ("Cyclone"?), there was supposedly some super incriminating file, and after a bomber blew up a backbone cable, they made it into a long term storage facility and downloaded a copy onto a flash drive and gave it to the govt handler agent ... who got mugged, and somewhere in the mess the flash drive was destroyed.

Uh ... *one* copy of this super-top file? Why didn't they make like seven copies, stash two of them in secret locations buried in the dirt, upload another copy into the darknet in the cloud, and more?

I'll let y'all come up with a third category if y'all think of one.

I do say it has to be a bit tough on writers to write for characters with a combined IQ of 700... I don't mind if they miss little details, but it's the glaring ones that annoy me just a little.

Thoughts?

Edvard:
From the trailer, I knew it was going to be bad.  Then I read a review of the pilot, and it was even worse than I had imagined.  The best comment was along the lines of "I'm glad for bad shows like this that make my job in infosec look so much more exciting than it really is".  I don't have TV anyway, so by default I can't really comment, but... yeah.

Renegade:
Uh ... *one* copy of this super-top file? Why didn't they make like seven copies, stash two of them in secret locations buried in the dirt, upload another copy into the darknet in the cloud, and more?
-TaoPhoenix (October 29, 2014, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just Hollywood having another wet dream on itself - imagining that files can only be moved, and never copied. It's in virtually every single TV show and film. Apparently the word "backup" doesn't exist in Hollywood.

Yeah... I know... It drives me nuts as well.

For the actual show, I've seen some, but it just seems rather bland so far. The entire premise seems stupid to me. But then again, "Person of Interest" started pretty lame and actually has turned out to be somewhat decent. PoI now addresses some actually interesting things, though the underlying premise is still pretty dystopian. Scorpion might pull itself out of the fire. We'll see.

TaoPhoenix:
-TaoPhoenix (October 29, 2014, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just Hollywood having another wet dream on itself - imagining that files can only be moved, and never copied. It's in virtually every single TV show and film. Apparently the word "backup" doesn't exist in Hollywood.

Yeah... I know... It drives me nuts as well.

For the actual show, I've seen some, but it just seems rather bland so far. The entire premise seems stupid to me. But then again, "Person of Interest" started pretty lame and actually has turned out to be somewhat decent. PoI now addresses some actually interesting things, though the underlying premise is still pretty dystopian. Scorpion might pull itself out of the fire. We'll see.

-Renegade (October 30, 2014, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, they were in fact talking about a backup, but my gripe was there was only one backup - on a tape drive to start with. Then they only made *one more* backup onto a single flash drive. That's where I started groaning.

But even then, Agent Cabe / Robert Patrick has a decent poker face, so they could have even just had a dummy second flash drive with nothing on it at all and just faked it when he got mugged! (This is why I'd love if studios could get over copyright and do series crossovers - where's Patrick Jane when you need him? He totally would have pulled something like that!)

Patrick Jane is smart, maybe IQ 130, but more to the point he's just *sneaky*. But the scorpion team of 170+ IQ types didn't think of any of that...

Can you imagine some of the crossover possibilities? Monk really does get an extremely rare sickness and has to go see Dr. House?
;D

Renegade:
Patrick Jane? He rocks! Great character! Love 'em!  :Thmbsup:

Robert Patrick? Great actor! Loved 'em since he was a terminator. He's been kicking ass ever since.

Now, put Patrick Jane's deviousness in a T1000, and... dystoptian HELL! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version