ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Matchstick - A streaming stick using Firefox OS [Kickstarter]

<< < (7/7)

CWuestefeld:
I just got my refund. But I'd be happier if I had a MatchStick without DRM...

In any case, they are processing refunds as promised.

4wd:
But I'd be happier if I had a MatchStick without DRM...-CWuestefeld (August 31, 2015, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got to really agree with this, having used my one year old Chromecast for the first time last Friday.

Even though it's rooted, it is a severely crippled piece of technology that requires I provide it with an internet connection before it will do anything.  Think I'll stick it on ebay and go searching for a cheap Android on a stick solution.

Addendum: Just received my refund.

wraith808:
As someone on the outside looking in, I don't see why they didn't revert to that.  Tell people the ramifications, and see how many takers they had.  Refund the nays, Fund the yays.

TaoPhoenix:
As someone on the outside looking in, I don't see why they didn't revert to that.  Tell people the ramifications, and see how many takers they had.  Refund the nays, Fund the yays.
-wraith808 (September 01, 2015, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the thing with these crowdfunded things a lot, they sorta control their communications like they are big biz's. It's a bit like a Hold'em poker hand with a couple cards missing. I'm disturbed they couldn't get the DRM code from any one of the other people who got it right.

So there feels like a missing backstory going on here.

4wd:
I don't really think that would be a sound business model for competitors, "You're having trouble implementing DRM on your open source platform?  Sure, here take the source code for our version and see if it helps bring your product onto the shelf next to ours."

I think the problem is they suffered from DN3DS, (Duke Nukem 3D Syndrome), and instead of delivering what they promised to start with, decided to use even newer and shinier parts as they became available over they course of the project, thereby pushing the date out.

They could of gone back to the funders and asked what they really wanted but I think that would of seriously disillusioned most of them even more considering that we already knew and wanted what we signed up for in the first place.

However, rather than continuing down the same road DN3D did, they've decided to cut their losses and do the right thing by the funders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version