I don't really think that would be a sound business model for competitors, "You're having trouble implementing DRM on your open source platform? Sure, here take the source code for our version and see if it helps bring your product onto the shelf next to ours."
I think the problem is they suffered from DN3DS, (Duke Nukem 3D Syndrome), and instead of delivering what they promised to start with, decided to use even newer and shinier parts as they became available over they course of the project, thereby pushing the date out.
They could of gone back to the funders and asked what they really wanted but I think that would of seriously disillusioned most of them even more considering that we already knew and wanted what we signed up for in the first place.
However, rather than continuing down the same road DN3D did, they've decided to cut their losses and do the right thing by the funders.