topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Emergency Broadcast System ?  (Read 19092 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Emergency Broadcast System ?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 05:57 AM »

Do or did nuns actually smack with rulers?  That seems to be the Standard Catholic Nun behavior in tv comedies.

At my school they were sicker than that.  They made you smack yourself across the knuckles with the ruler.  As you are hitting yourself the nun tells you "Harder.  Harder.  More." etc..

I refused to do it.  It was just too pervy.  It was better to let them call my house and have my father kick my ass when he got home from work.  At least I wasn't beating myself up.  When I got to 8th grade the nun who was home room teacher just laughed when I clowned around.  She was cool.

Yes... to too pervy  ;)  Nuns all the way to 12th?

I don't think I've ever seen a live nun.   :huh:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 06:11 AM »

Do or did nuns actually smack with rulers?  That seems to be the Standard Catholic Nun behavior in tv comedies.

At my school they were sicker than that.  They made you smack yourself across the knuckles with the ruler.  As you are hitting yourself the nun tells you "Harder.  Harder.  More." etc..

I refused to do it.  It was just too pervy.  It was better to let them call my house and have my father kick my ass when he got home from work.  At least I wasn't beating myself up.  When I got to 8th grade the nun who was home room teacher just laughed when I clowned around.  She was cool.

Nope.  In highschool they had Brothers to smack you around.  I was informed by my older brother who attended a Catholic highschool that they were skilled at giving you a short punch in the ribs in the corridor while shielding it from view.  I was signed up to attend the same school.  Fortunately for me we moved to the burbs and I switched to regular public school.  No uniforms.  The desks weren't bolted down.  No corporal punishment.  Nirvana.  :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41 AM »

Nope.  In highschool they had Brothers to smack you around.  I was informed by my older brother who attended a Catholic highschool that they were skilled at giving you a short punch in the ribs in the corridor while shielding it from view.  I was signed up to attend the same school.  Fortunately for me we moved to the burbs and I switched to regular public school.  No uniforms.  The desks weren't bolted down.  No corporal punishment.  Nirvana.  :)

I had forgotten uniforms.  Public school detention, suspension and expulsion are worse.  Of course by 9th most have matured?   ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Random thought: I want a Faraday cage.

It needs to be grounded to be effective: http://en.wikipedia....romagnetic_radiation
 (see attachment in previous post)

Hey! My hat happens to be professionally made from high-grade foil.

I'm considering upgrading to a copper-infused version with a Jolly Roger on the front.

Interesting to see how many people here got beat as kids.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Random thought: I want a Faraday cage.

It needs to be grounded to be effective: http://en.wikipedia....romagnetic_radiation

Hey! My hat happens to be professionally made from high-grade foil.

I'm considering upgrading to a copper-infused version with a Jolly Roger on the front.

Wondered where Wiki got this

ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12 AM »

Nope. Not me. Mine is far better~! :P

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15 AM »

I should have shopped his tongue sticking out   ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 09:51 AM »
I had forgotten uniforms.  Public school detention, suspension and expulsion are worse.  Of course by 9th most have matured?

In the old days, in the city, even the public schools had corporal punishment.  I remember one day I was walking by the public elementary school, since School Street went right across the top of my street.  I noticed something was up.  The whole schoolyard was filled.  But it wasn't recess.  It looked more like a graduation ceremony.  Each class was grouped as a rectangle.  Turns out it was a punishment ceremony.  The entire student body was turned out like on the deck of The Bounty to witness the wrong doer taking his lashes.  In front of the whole school the kid had to hold out his hand as the principal swatted it with a wooden rod.  Pretty medieval.

Afa maturity by 9th grade, the ones who didn't run for Congress, President etc..   :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 10:10 AM »

I should have shopped his tongue sticking out   ;D

That would have been an improvement! :P :P :P :P :P

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I had forgotten uniforms.  Public school detention, suspension and expulsion are worse.  Of course by 9th most have matured?

In the old days, in the city, even the public schools had corporal punishment.  I remember one day I was walking by the public elementary school, since School Street went right across the top of my street.  I noticed something was up.  The whole schoolyard was filled.  But it wasn't recess.  It looked more like a graduation ceremony.  Each class was grouped as a rectangle.  Turns out it was a punishment ceremony.  The entire student body was turned out like on the deck of The Bounty to witness the wrong doer taking his lashes.  In front of the whole school the kid had to hold out his hand as the principal swatted it with a wooden rod.  Pretty medieval.

Afa maturity by 9th grade, the ones who didn't run for Congress, President etc..   :)

There may have been corporal punishment at my schools as well... i never tested the systems.  I didn't want to piss off my parents.  It was hard enough defending my C- average.  Didn't want any U's on the report card.  Didn't want to invite any reprisals.  Neither one hit me but mom had cut-off my Oreos and tv before and dad never seemed to run out of extra yard work.  Goofing off just wasn't worth it.

Afa maturity... my 9th was still part of Jr. High (middle school).  The girls had magically lost their cooties and gained some makeup.  What a nice change.   :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:39 AM by crabby3, Reason: typo # 490 »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 11:24 AM »
The girls had magically lost their cooties and gained some makeup.  What a nice change.

Is that what they call it now?  Losing their cootie?  ;)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I still think the old fashioned mechanical SD-10 air raid sirens that went off at noon every Saturday post WWII till about 1980 were the most reliable. (A steady siren meant: "alert" A rising and falling tone meant: "Sit down; face the nearest concrete wall; put head between legs - kiss ass goodbye!" as the saying went.

I can't prove it, but I think Billy Joel borrowed the rough concept of an air raid siren in his musical structure for his song "Leningrad". (And that's unbelieveable musicianship to make something like that into a listenable song!! )

And his musical structure rose and fell...
:o

That quote above just made me go download it, and I'm going to do a couple of my little sets of modified versions in Audacity. I haven't done one of those in a while.

I think I got my "magic formula" - "Echo 4 4" aka Delay .04 seconds and decay factor 0.4, twice. It evokes for me those cut rate cheap PA speakers one of my schools used to use for stuff. Then a couple more variants for the set, depending on the mood I am in. (After the double echo.)

A. Tempo up 15%, to give it some urgency
B. Then some pitch down adjustments, because I often like bass pitched versions of stuff. My standards:
B1 15%
B2 25%
B3 37% (This one is tricky, it can sometimes be too much. It works best when the original starts with a high tenor or soprano.)

These kinds of homemade adjustments really open new avenues for me to explore a song with.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:50 PM by TaoPhoenix »