ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Emergency Broadcast System ?

<< < (4/8) > >>

40hz:
Do or did nuns actually smack with rulers?  That seems to be the Standard Catholic Nun behavior in tv comedies.
-crabby3 (October 28, 2014, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Dominican nuns in the school I went to did.

These ladies in case you never met one.

Sister Ann Christopher had a backhand a tennis pro would have envied.

Some of the older ones used to whack with one of those 40" rubber tipped wooden pointers too.

But the times were a changin' (and those metal rod reinforced pointers too easily bruised) so the yardstick became the nun's weapon of choice for school discipline.

(They'd also throw chalk sticks. One of those in the back of the head was a painful reminder not to pass notes in class.) :huh:

crabby3:
Do or did nuns actually smack with rulers?  That seems to be the Standard Catholic Nun behavior in tv comedies.
-crabby3 (October 28, 2014, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Dominican nuns in the school I went to did.

They used to use those rubber tipped wooden pointers too.
 (see attachment in previous post)
But the times were a changin', and pointers too easily bruised, so the yardstick became the tool of choice for school discipline.
 (see attachment in previous post)These ladies in case you never saw one.

Sister Ann Christopher had a backhand a tennis pro would have envied.

(They'd also throw chalk sticks. One of those in the back of the head was a painful reminder not to pass notes in class.) :huh:
-40hz (October 28, 2014, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sister Mary Elephant is the only nun i know but she didn't smack... she yelled   ;D

SeraphimLabs:
I still think the old fashioned mechanical SD-10 air raid sirens that went off at noon every Saturday post WWII till about 1980 were the most reliable. (A steady siren meant: "alert" A rising and falling tone meant: "Sit down; face the nearest concrete wall; put head between legs - kiss ass goodbye!" as the saying went.

At least with those you could always hook a gas engine or car battery up to them (by design) and get them to work. If the grid is down, all the technology in the world becomes nothing but inert PC boards stuffed with electronics.

-40hz (October 28, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I remember the scout camp I went to had an old ambulance siren mounted to the roof of the medical lodge. When it sounded, we were to report immediately to the parade ground unless the weather was severe- in which case the location to report to was the main dining hall.

It was operated off of a 12v battery on a high shelf in the medical lodge waiting room, since the camp was in a remote location and was frequently without grid power after severe storms.

Also there was a 3T22 in the town I used to live in. I only ever heard it signal the alternate wailing fire alarm, but upon finding the type on youtube learned that it also had a steady-high alert as well as a hi-lo wailing signal for air raids. If coupled with the proper power equipment, a horn like that would still be very effective at making sure people know if they need to take action.

(Sample of a 3T22 testing all three modes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5-fl3VtVc )

And lets face it. In a truely end of the status quo scenario, technology newer than 1960s or so may very well simply not work due to loss of a fuel/energy source or because of damage from EMP or other disaster. Prior to the 1960s, equipment would take a beating and keep right on going, and anyone handy with a wrench could sort it out promptly if there was a problem.

app103:

Stoic Joker:
I still think the old fashioned mechanical SD-10 air raid sirens that went off at noon every Saturday post WWII till about 1980 were the most reliable.-40hz (October 28, 2014, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

We were less than a mile - as the crow flies - from the tower ... Man talk about a shit your pants level attention getter! :Thmbsup: I can still hear that damn thing now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version