ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

(Hypothetical): If DC Grouped Together...What could be achieved?

<< < (4/6) > >>

wraith808:
I always thought there were enough coding standards, documented "best practices" and development models that, by now, the days of starting with a a completely empty whiteboard wasn't a given. But I'm not a coder. The few real dev projects I was involved with go back before "objects" and the web. They involved several individuals, and getting everybody on the same page wasn't a challenge. We knew what needed to be done, what the deadlines were, who was best qualified for which roles and pieces, and it went from there to successful conclusions.
-40hz (October 26, 2014, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not a blank page.  You do reuse.  But what do you reuse?  What coding standards do you use?  VCS can be a big enough hurdle to get across as people see the differences as religions.  It is a very real application of Sayre's Law, i.e. the discussions are so heated because the stakes are so small.

First question.  What do we build?  If you get past that... what language do we build it in?  What framework do we use?  What about third party libraries?  What license?

If you don't have a product owner and architect to give the final answer to those questions- any of them can derail the project.  And do you need it for everything?  No.  But the larger the group of participants, the more likely it is to get derailed without it.

There is also another discussion when dealing with such- that's investment vs involvement.  You need to have someone invested in the project- or those merely involved can really derail a project.

Again, all of these things are not necessary... but the larger the project you get, the more likely it is to fail without it.  And if we're talking about every coder on DC, that's a pretty larger project.  Just looking at it realistically.

Hell, look at the recent CommonMark fiasco.  People take the slightest thing badly, and can't really be professionals and moderate decisions as much as they must choose a side and wage war over it.  It's not just politics and religion anymore.  Any discussion can degenerate... and we have those on DC.  So discussions during a project- if things are not decided up front, can easily degenerate into just another development fiasco, as so many have been.

superboyac:
Overall, this is probably one of the most depressing threads I've read in a long time.  :(

I'm not a coder. But I am a musician. And if musicians (as a collective) can routinely gather "fiercely independent personalities" (including the occasional hyper-talented albeit bona fide sociopath) to collaborate on artistically valid, and financially remunerative projects...I'm wondering why coders can't do the same?

Is this 'problem' real? Or is it just something coders have programmed themselves to believe? :huh:
-40hz (October 26, 2014, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
ok yes, you're right.  Let's do this!  Whatever the project is, DC 2.0 sounds great, I'd love to be a part of it.

app103:
Overall, this is probably one of the most depressing threads I've read in a long time.  :(

I'm not a coder. But I am a musician. And if musicians (as a collective) can routinely gather "fiercely independent personalities" (including the occasional hyper-talented albeit bona fide sociopath) to collaborate on artistically valid, and financially remunerative projects...I'm wondering why coders can't do the same?

Is this 'problem' real? Or is it just something coders have programmed themselves to believe? :huh:
--- End quote ---

I wasn't speaking about developers in general. I was speaking about here and from experience.

Check the date on this post and read through that thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25932.0

That thread was started after a discussion in the IRC channel, and mouser suggested I post about it and get some input from the community.

Almost 3.5 years later and I am sitting here with the feeling that I should have just gone ahead and done it, and handed it to mouser. And it still bothers me enough that I am considering just doing it and calling it my NANY project for this year.  :(

And I don't care if it ends up only being used for a few months, or ultimately, a few years.

So, it's not that there isn't a desire to contribute, and not that we don't want to work together. Some of us are still waiting for their assignments, have sat by and watched someone else end up with the assignment they were best suited for, watched that person eventually abandon the project, and are getting the feeling that they are never going to be taken seriously, and are trying really hard not to take it personally and feel insulted by it.

Is that how big projects get done? Obviously not, if 3.5 years later we still don't have a DoCo 2.0 or at the very least, a proper software repository.

40hz:

Almost 3.5 years later and I am sitting here with the feeling that I should have just gone ahead and done it, and handed it to mouser. And it still bothers me enough that I am considering just doing it and calling it my NANY project for this year.  :(

-app103 (October 27, 2014, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a plan! And why not?  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515:

--- End quote ---

I wasn't speaking about developers in general. I was speaking about here and from experience.

Check the date on this post and read through that thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25932.0

That thread was started after a discussion in the IRC channel, and mouser suggested I post about it and get some input from the community.

And I don't care if it ends up only being used for a few months, or ultimately, a few years.

So, it's not that there isn't a desire to contribute, and not that we don't want to work together. Some of us are still waiting for their assignments, have sat by and watched someone else end up with the assignment they were best suited for, watched that person eventually abandon the project, and are getting the feeling that they are never going to be taken seriously, and are trying really hard not to take it personally and feel insulted by it.

Is that how big projects get done? Obviously not, if 3.5 years later we still don't have a DoCo 2.0 or at the very least, a proper software repository.
-app103 (October 27, 2014, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version