ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for good external hard drive solutions?

<< < (10/13) > >>

nudone:
i've just realised - i'm a samsung fanboy.

Carol Haynes:
I'm not taking your criticism personally as you noted, but I know my stagnant brain tells me not to buy anything but Seagate.  Considering purchases for myself and other peoples computers over the last 3 years, I have bought over 35 seagate drives 120gb-400gb (mostly 120gb/200gb 7200.7 series) Not a damn one has had an issue yet.  I don't see why I would change a thing with a hard to beat track record like that. By the way steer clear of the 7200.8 series from seagate and consider the 7200.9 or 7200.10 stuff if anyone does consider them.
-vegas (June 23, 2006, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ironically Seagate Barracudas are the only hardware I have ever bought that I sent back for a full refund ;) (and got it)

JavaJones:
For my part I'm aware of the Samsung advantage in noise so I definitely recommend them for any low-noise needs. But they *are* less generally available than other brands and they also tend to have less deals than say Maxtor or Seagate, both of whom often have very low prices with rebates on Outpost.com, for example. I've also been a bit unclear on whether *all* Samsung drives are "low noise" or if they have a special low noise type of drive. I've gone through the trouble of trying to find models in the same group as a well-reviewed quiet drive before but I don't often want to go to the trouble. If I can assume they're all equally quiet I'd be a lot more inclined to buy and recommend them. Otherwise, if their noise level truly does vary from product to product, then it may be too much work to research for anything but a low-noise PC purchase.

- Oshyan

nudone:
i'd just like to add that, i once bought a couple or three western digital drives there were meant to be 'silent'. well, the reviewer concluded they were fantastic all round quality drives so who was i to argue...

i sold the drives as soon as i could get rid of them - they weren't silent at all - they had that all too common hard drive whine that is about as easy to ignore and a persistent fly buzzing around in your room.

i mention this as a month or two later the same reviewer decided that samsung drives where the quietest. so, i'm just saying that silent doesn't always appear to mean silent. let's face it, no hard drive is truly silent.

regarding samsungs current crop of drives - i believe the spinpoints are all built using the same fluid bearing so they ought to offer the same low operational noise level.

Carol Haynes:
For my part I'm aware of the Samsung advantage in noise so I definitely recommend them for any low-noise needs. But they *are* less generally available than other brands and they also tend to have less deals than say Maxtor or Seagate, both of whom often have very low prices with rebates on Outpost.com, for example. I've also been a bit unclear on whether *all* Samsung drives are "low noise" or if they have a special low noise type of drive. I've gone through the trouble of trying to find models in the same group as a well-reviewed quiet drive before but I don't often want to go to the trouble. If I can assume they're all equally quiet I'd be a lot more inclined to buy and recommend them. Otherwise, if their noise level truly does vary from product to product, then it may be too much work to research for anything but a low-noise PC purchase.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (June 24, 2006, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seagate Barracudas are also very quiet (but they get hot as a result because the noise is kept down by insulation)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version