ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Malware blocked at DC !?!

<< < (5/5)

SeraphimLabs:

Hopefully it was a coincidence.

I don't use a router.  Maybe an IE-9 Internet option?

...- but it begs the question of how did those requests get to your computer in the first place.

--- End quote ---

I know I'm infected with something.  There are Internet Options that cannot be changed.  I have file folders that are not visable.

I had the FBI scam infection a while back.  MBAB's Chameleon killed the process and gave me internet access again but i haven't addressed any damage.

I ran unhide yesterday but found no changes.
-crabby3 (October 25, 2014, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have to ask.

Why would you not use a router if at all possible? They usually include a decent firewall capability to protect your machine from exploits floating around the public network, including inbound UPNP exploits that would trigger malwarebytes like so.

Its just one extra level of protection, allowing you to keep your stuff on a clean network while still being able to access the rest of the world from behind the safety of that firewall only allowing stuff in that you've asked for.

Running without a router, anyone could port scan your system directly or try to exploit it along with everyone else on your ISP by using attacks that work over range broadcasts.

Also no. Internet Explorer has no ability whatsoever to filter your internet connection, other than by relying on sites that Microsoft has programmed it to blacklist.

You need at minimum a decent third party firewall software or a good router to protect your system. The default Windows Firewall is usually wide open by default with several key ports open that cannot be closed including the often abused port 139.

app103:
You need at minimum a decent third party firewall software
-SeraphimLabs (October 25, 2014, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that most firewall apps pop up alerts like crazy, accusing the entire internet of trying to attack you, and letting you know that they protected you from all those "attacks".  They want to make you paranoid enough to pay and keep using their product. And even the reputable firewall apps do this. :mad:

You will want to find that setting that turns just those tin foil alerts off, first thing. Otherwise, the coincidence of the popups coinciding with your PC activities may make you wrongly believe some very innocent people are up to no good.

crabby3:

Hopefully it was a coincidence.

I don't use a router.  Maybe an IE-9 Internet option?

...- but it begs the question of how did those requests get to your computer in the first place.

--- End quote ---

I know I'm infected with something.  There are Internet Options that cannot be changed.  I have file folders that are not visable.

I had the FBI scam infection a while back.  MBAB's Chameleon killed the process and gave me internet access again but i haven't addressed any damage.

I ran unhide yesterday but found no changes.
-crabby3 (October 25, 2014, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have to ask.

Why would you not use a router if at all possible? They usually include a decent firewall capability to protect your machine from exploits floating around the public network, including inbound UPNP exploits that would trigger malwarebytes like so.

Its just one extra level of protection, allowing you to keep your stuff on a clean network while still being able to access the rest of the world from behind the safety of that firewall only allowing stuff in that you've asked for.

(Edit)

Also no. Internet Explorer has no ability whatsoever to filter your internet connection, other than by relying on sites that Microsoft has programmed it to blacklist.

You need at minimum a decent third party firewall software or a good router to protect your system. The default Windows Firewall is usually wide open by default with several key ports open that cannot be closed including the often abused port 139.
-SeraphimLabs (October 25, 2014, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

One word:  Procrastination.  I have a router but it's still in the box and so on...   :-\

I do have Kaspersky Pure 3.0 and it's firewall.

I found these yesterday and unchecked 'em

I ran Rkill yesterday as well and it terminated 4 processes

The MBAM alerts were every other day, Wednesday then Friday then..., see what happens today.   :)

-----------------

BTW  Thanks for your thorough description, your 3rd paragraph of how to exploit other peoples computers, for any hackers out there.   :down:

You had already made your point.  ...overkill.

MilesAhead:
I did this by doing the following:

[ attach=1 ]
-Stephen66515 (October 24, 2014, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was looking for something like this.  Just pasting the image would be cool.  But this is close.  :)
-MilesAhead (October 25, 2014, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh?  :huh:
-Stephen66515 (October 25, 2014, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some sites allow you to paste images directly into the form editor thing.  I asked Mouser if he could add that.  But this is close enough.  Albeit tangential.  :)

Edit:  At first I did a simple quote of the post I followed but that pasted in the graphic again.  That's why I only put the "attach=1" line for reference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version