topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: when will we eventually be able to  (Read 27184 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: when will we eventually be able to
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Ford unveils a car seat which detects when a driver is having heart attack

No High Tech needed there.  The guy just got a look at his monthly car payment.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01 AM »
it doesnt really make much sense that you keep trying to convert those with the latter approach, to your enthusiastic approach.

Not to mention the futility of trying to innovate a dinosaur. Nobody is going to waste the time and effort to create a new and better payphone...because they are simply no longer needed. Gas stations are in an earlier yet much the same situation. There is no point in streamlining/improving a process that will start dying out in another 20 or so years.

I don't object to hybrids...I just find the toothless emasculated ones to be obnoxious. There are a few on the market that don't completely suck.

Hydrogen filling stations, yes.
Charging stations, yes.
Gasoline stations ... Let. It. Go. The risk/reward factor just ain't there.

look here what they develop, while we already have driveless technology
and it's not a small project, they want to make it detect even electrolytic imbalances!
they spend so many money and effort, while the future is clearly driveless!

You do realize that that assertion is rather obtusely predicated on the assumption that it is perfectly fine for any or all of the other occupants in the vehicle to drop dead...right?

Just because a vehicle is/was/would be driverless doesn't mean having it arrive at its destination with a corpse in it is to be considered a win.

That technology has potential, and a definite future in many applications - Kind of like Life Alert for your car.

No High Tech needed there.  The guy just got a look at his monthly car payment.  :)

I don't know if one can actually win a thread...but this is definitely a contender.. :D :Thmbsup:

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28 AM »
it doesnt really make much sense that you keep trying to convert those with the latter approach, to your enthusiastic approach.

Not to mention the futility of trying to innovate a dinosaur. Nobody is going to waste the time and effort to create a new and better payphone...because they are simply no longer needed. Gas stations are in an earlier yet much the same situation. There is no point in streamlining/improving a process that will start dying out in another 20 or so years.

I don't object to hybrids...I just find the toothless emasculated ones to be obnoxious. There are a few on the market that don't completely suck.

Hydrogen filling stations, yes.
Charging stations, yes.
Gasoline stations ... Let. It. Go. The risk/reward factor just ain't there.

look here what they develop, while we already have driveless technology
and it's not a small project, they want to make it detect even electrolytic imbalances!
they spend so many money and effort, while the future is clearly driveless!

You do realize that that assertion is rather obtusely predicated on the assumption that it is perfectly fine for any or all of the other occupants in the vehicle to drop dead...right?

Just because a vehicle is/was/would be driverless doesn't mean having it arrive at its destination with a corpse in it is to be considered a win.

That technology has potential, and a definite future in many applications - Kind of like Life Alert for your car.

I insist it's useless and you know why? because if we want to monitor health of frail individuals, we should do it constantly, not only inside the car

I had in mind wearable devices that will monitor your health and report in case of emergency, that's why you don't need car seats to do this!

it's the health organizations and medical devices companies that should take care of this, not automotive companies!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:39 AM by kalos »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I insist it's useless and you know why? because if we want to monitor health of frail individuals, we should do it constantly, not only inside the car

There are all sorts of technologies in modern cars that are not needed...but there anyway. Like the ever detrimental entertainment systems that can only serve to distract the driver. e.g. any silly assed bit of kit that can help fill out a brochure can be offered as an upsell option. So the driver - or other occupants - don't need to be frail...they just need to be interested in that level/type of "protection".

Anyone over 35 is at risk of a heart attack...statistically. ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21 AM »

I don't know if one can actually win a thread...but this is definitely a contender..

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00 AM »

Ford and other car makers are increasingly aware that the time may not be far away when a 100-year-old driver is unexceptional...

One hundred-year-olds driving cars will not be abnormal in the future.

Senior Moments are a problem now.  Hitting the gas instead of the brake.
How about steering wheel sensors to detect sudden stress and a microphone on the dash to hear all the screaming.  ;D

...as the car industry seeks ways to maximise profits at a time when the number of wealthy over-65s is growing rapidly.
Highway or public safety is not Fords main objective here.  Silly me.  :-\   I thought they actually cared.

Stress sensors, of some kind, may even help the current over-80s live to be 100.