topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY PRE-RELEASE: Dedicated Windows client for Slack  (Read 53878 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY PRE-RELEASE: Dedicated Windows client for Slack
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 07:36 PM »
This might be of interest:

The WordPress project is testing out Slack as our main real-time communication platform, replacing IRC and ad hoc Skype chats. When compiling a list of things people liked about our existing options, it was obvious that Slack was all of that and more, including:

Open for everyone
Friendly user interface
Easy asynchronous conversation
iOS and Android apps
Powerful customization abilities
Excellent search
Wait, replaces IRC? Yes. WordPress has always used Freenode for its real-time communication, and we’re especially grateful for what Freenode and IRC have done for Free and Open Source Software projects.

More at
https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 01:39 AM »
You should make a DonationCoder slack team. :Thmbsup:

So I've noticed that when it's minimized to tray, if I double click or right-click and select "Show Main Window" it will make the window show up in the task bar, but it doesn't actually show the window until I click it in the task bar. So that's kind of useless.

Also, while it's in the state of still minimized but showing in the task bar, it also still shows it in the tray, which I think it should only do when it's minimized. Which... erm... I guess it is/does. So once you fix the first problem, this second one will also go away.

I'd also like to request a portable/zip/non-installer version.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:00 PM by Deozaan »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 03:15 AM »
It would be nice if you could discover what was enabling the audio alerts before, since they are no longer working for me. :(

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 06:17 AM »
It would be nice if you could discover what was enabling the audio alerts before, since they are no longer working for me. :(

Not going to lie...those audio alerts are driving me insane...It's not that they "don't" work, as I didn't remove anything to kill the functionality.  It seems that there is something bugging it out making them stop working for no reason at all...not sure why to be honest and really something I have to look deeper into.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46 PM »
This might be of interest:

The WordPress project is testing out Slack as our main real-time communication platform, replacing IRC and ad hoc Skype chats. When compiling a list of things people liked about our existing options, it was obvious that Slack was all of that and more, including:

Open for everyone
Friendly user interface
Easy asynchronous conversation
iOS and Android apps
Powerful customization abilities
Excellent search
Wait, replaces IRC? Yes. WordPress has always used Freenode for its real-time communication, and we’re especially grateful for what Freenode and IRC have done for Free and Open Source Software projects.

More at
https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

Somehow missed yours and Deos posts before..not sure how :(

Bookmarked this and will see if I can use it to my advantage haha

You should make a DonationCoder slack team. :Thmbsup:

So I've noticed that when it's minimized to tray, if I double click or right-click and select "Show Main Window" it will make the window show up in the task bar, but it doesn't actually show the window until I click it in the task bar. So that's kind of useless.

Also, while it's in the state of still minimized but showing in the task bar, it also still shows it in the tray, which I think it should only do when it's minimized. Which... erm... I guess it is/does. So once you fix the first problem, this second one will also go away.

I'd also like to request a portable/zip/non-installer version.

Potable Version will hopefully be available with the next build of SlackyApp

Bugs have been identified and resolved and will no longer be in the next build :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:01 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed formatting »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 05:50 PM »
We now have our own Slack team site on slack.com!

Anybody who wants to be part of it, please inbox me with your e-mail address and I will send you an invitation :)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Update: 30th October 2014

2 Issues have been identified within SlackyApp.  These issues are outlined below:

Known Issues
• If large amounts of data are passing through Slack at any one time (IE: Oeruse of the Giphy Integration), Window will go blank due to a possible memory leak - Bug has not been identified fully but I am aware of this happening.
• Cache and Memory not being cleared properly. - Resolution for this has been (hopefully) identified and will be resolved in the next build.

Issue #1 - I have no clue how to fix this at the moment, but will figure it out I hope
Issue #2 - I can think of several possible solutions for this, so a bit of trial and error will be in order to resolve this.

Another "Issue" has been pointed out, but it happens randomly and I can't be 100% sure if it a bug with SlackyApp OR the user in questions system.  This issue causes the audio notifications to randomly stop working (Although they do start back up again) - This could be an issue with how SlackyApp is handling the Desktop Notifications feature (Which, I will admit...It doesn't handle this very well).  This can hopefully be resolved very soon.

As it stands, I am really thinking about totally dropping the current WebCore that I use (Awesomium).  I seem to be highly limited by using this Core and it is causing more problems than it is solving.

It is entirely possible that the project as it stands will be scrapped in favor of another Core...but nothing is set in stone yet.

If I do decide to change everything then everybody here will be informed and I will let you all know how to work with the new build.

~Stephen

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Where is the file? Slack just released an official Windows app, and yours is better. I can't promote yours if people can't download & try it.  :(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 02:26 AM »
I asked for a special portable edition (no installer needed) which I still have. I could mirror/host/post it if needed.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 04:17 AM »
I asked for a special portable edition (no installer needed) which I still have. I could mirror/host/post it if needed.

Can you edit the first post in the thread to add the link? I don't want anyone to have a hard time finding it.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Ah crap yeah, forgot the file was on my old domain...gimme a min and I will drop a link here.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25 AM »
OK, Portable version has been uploaded and link updated in OP.  Removed download links to update website and full version (installer) downloads.  Will try get updates working again when I have a free moment.  Just moved house so I have a million and one things to do :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 01:30 PM »
Link to portable version still isn't working for me. Maybe you should host it somewhere more reliable. Like a dcmember server, or Google Drive/Dropbox?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 02:37 AM »
Works now :)

2 Things were wrong:

• I didn't put Portable.rar in the link
• DC added another http:// to the link and turned it into http://http://www.

:wallbash:

Ah well, it's up now, will mirror it as well xD

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 03:08 AM »
2 Mirrors Added:

• MediaFire.com