ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

latex

(1/2) > >>

kalos:
hello!

it seems latex is the preferred system to write technical/math documents

but I find it hard to learn all these commands

the best method to learn them is by using them, but I don't want to check a book all the time to see which command I should use

instead, I would like a GUI (webpage or app) that will have buttons to generate the latex code for me

eg. will have a square root button and by clicking it, it should pop out the latex code

is there anything like this?

thanks!

KynloStephen66515:
Well...I must say, when I clicked this post, I was expecting something completely different..........

kalos:
Well...I must say, when I clicked this post, I was expecting something completely different..........
-Stephen66515 (October 15, 2014, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

like what?

Edvard:
The best graphical interface to Latex is (arguably) Lyx.  Read Superboyac's experiences (and the ensuing advice storm) with it here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=26079.0

As I said there:
Here's where I try to cut it short and say RTFM (Read The Free Manual).  As in, go through the Help menu; the Tutorial, Users Guide, Customization, etc.  Read ALL of it; it's very thorough and informative.
Really, it'll help A LOT.
--- End quote ---
Just sitting down and playing with the options will probably get you a few down the road, just not as far.

Lyx gives you a nice GUI and writing/tagging environment, which is what most people are comfortable with, but like anything, LaTex/Lyx has a learning curve.  If you can see what it will eventually do for you, then taking the time to sit down and learn it will be worth it.  

Check out this screencast.  If you're into the math functions, this demonstrates how easy it can be:
http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/LyX/Screencasts/LyXIntroPalette.htm

:Thmbsup:

kalos:
I did downloaded Lyx

but you must already know the latex commands in order to type them and use them

I, instead, need something that will visually help me type latex code and thus help me learn latex

isn't there anything like this?

or maybe I miss something with Lyx?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version