ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Moving clips within folders

(1/1)

sosimple:
How do you move clips within folders?

Let's say I have two (sub)folders within the main "All" folder. These subfolders are named "Stuff1" and "Stuff2".

I have a new clip in the "All" folder. Let's call this "Clip1"

I drag "Clip1" from the "All" folder, the the "All/Stuff1" folder.

At this point, "Clip1" is seen in both the "All" folder, and the "All/Stuff1" folder, and I assume this is normal.

Question 1:
Is it possible to have "Clip1" only seen in the "All/Stuff1" folder (removed from the "All" folder), or is it the nature of the program to show *All* clips in the "All" folder?

--

At this point, "Clip1" is still seen in both the "All" folder, and the "All/Stuff1" folder. If I select "Clip1" in the "All/Stuff1" folder, and then choose "Delete", I see that "Clip1" is removed from the "All/Stuff1" folder, AND it is also removed from the "All" folder (removed "everywhere").

Question 2:
How do I remove "Clip1" from the "All/Stuff1" while leaving "Clip1" in the "All" folder?

--

With "Clip1" still seen in both the "All" folder, and the "All/Stuff1" folder, suppose I *also* want to see "Clip1" in the "All/Stuff2" folder. So, seen in both the "All/Stuff1" folder, and the "All/Stuff2" folder (and I assume it will always be seen in the "All" folder).

Question 3:
How do I have a clip available in multiple folders, as in this example case, in both the "All/Stuff1" folder, and the "All/Stuff2" folder?

mouser:
These are all good questions..

First let me explain the basic approach of CHS:

* Every clip has one and only one group that it lives in.  Let's call this the "home" group of the clip.  In your example above, your clip's home group is "Stuff1".
There are two scenarios where a clip will APPEAR in other groups:

* First -- by default when you click on a group that has child subgroups, CHS will show clips in the selected parent group BUT ALSO SHOW IN GRAY all clips in all child groups.  This is by design.
* Second -- CHS lets you create "virtual" groups using sql database statements, that can show certain clips from any other group.  By default CHS comes with a few such virtual groups (such as the Favorites group, which will show clips in any other group that have the Favorite? column checkbox set, and the URL group which will show clips from any group that have http:// in them).
Any action you perform on clips that are shown in these other (virtual or parent) groups, will effect the original group -- whether that's deleting it or moving it.  There is only ever one copy of the clip. You cannot have a clip live in two real groups at the same time.

With all that said, let's answer your questions specifically:

Question 1: Is it possible to have "Clip1" only seen in the "All/Stuff1" folder (removed from the "All" folder), or is it the nature of the program to show *All* clips in the "All" folder?
--- End quote ---

Yes, if you disable the default feature where CHS shows the contents of child groups when you click on a parent group (uncheck the first option here):

Question 2: How do I remove "Clip1" from the "All/Stuff1" while leaving "Clip1" in the "All" folder?
--- End quote ---

Select the All/Suff1 group, then drag your clip into the All group.

Question 3: How do I have a clip available in multiple folders, as in this example case, in both the "All/Stuff1" folder, and the "All/Stuff2" folder?
--- End quote ---

Cannot be done.  The best you could create a virtual group using sql statement that select from both groups. For example, you could put info in the Keywords column of clips and then make a virtual group that showed all clips in any groups with certain keywords.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version