ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we care about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray?

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
So far I haven't, being willing to let the formats hammer it out and wait to see who wins. Companies are split on the formats, although Microsoft has sided with HD-DVD. I'd love the extra disc space, but DVD is so cheap I don't want to go back to paying a $1/disc again.

Carol Haynes:
Personally I can't really see the point - what ever they produce is only going to produce marginally better pictures for films and the rest of the stiuff will be crap like most of the extras they put on DVDs now. Unless the movie companies are going to start paying for some real WOW factor extras where is the incentive to move up to a larger capacity format.

Can't help feeling that home recording is going to be prone to huge numbers of errors too - no one actually lives or works in an hermetically sealed sterile environment and I can't see how the density of data will be acheivable constistently in a normal environment. Presumably they will have to build in some error recovery system to cope with all the glitches!

Whilst HD-DVD/Blu-Ray would potentially be great for backing up hard discs dual layer DVDs have never really captured the market that much - and the media is still ridiculously expensive (at least in the UK). I think it will be an awful long time before the prices drop enough to make them cost effective - and if the movie industry has their way theyu will stay at high prices as long as possible.

Final thought - if they do start pushing out anything useful I would tend to side with anything non-Sony - after their rootkit debacle I think everyone should boycott any format they come up with!

vegas:
I've had a Hi-Def 720p projector for about 18 months now.  I love it and I have wanted more things to play in Hi-Definition because satellite and cable channel selections still pretty much stink.  But I actually have no interest in what they are peddling,  too many restrictions that can be implemented at ANY point in time down the road.  When all of the protections are cracked and everything can be controlled by ME, I would happily spend $15-$25 per title on various movies in such quality.  And no, I'm not some big pirate, as I have spent more money than I care to recall on DVD's (think big, really BIG).  I will continue to buy DVD's when I feel the 'Best' version has been released of a particular movie and NOT the first plain version that comes out, which is followed by a version with special features, which is followed by an extended version, then by a extended version with the features included, etc...  The industry just doesn't have my support or attention, and I try to make everyone I know as aware as I have kept myself, hopefully everyone will not cave in to this new RESTRICTED technology, until it can work in their best interest.  Instead of enabling media industries, which constantly position themselves to take every single penny they can get from every person in every which way.
/end rant

mouser:
i agree with the above posts: i'd love more space for backups, but until they can get them really cheap, it's not a viable alternative to using an external hard drive.

superboyac:
I'm already pissed that all those years I spent meticulously backing up my mp3s on cd's and cataloguing them, can now fit on about 30 dvd's as opposed to 200 cd's.  Now, with blu-ray or whatever, I can fit it all on like 4 of those discs.  But, actually, I'm planning on moving to a somewhat sophisticated hard drive backup system.  But that's off topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version