topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY Q&A about what software can be submitted  (Read 12896 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY Q&A about what software can be submitted
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:42 PM »
If I have an unpublished program that I have already made, can I enter it in NANY?  Should I start a new thread for it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY Q&A about what software can be submitted
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Easy question to answer:

Any software that has not yet been released publicly can be entered into NANY.
Yes you should start a new thread in this NANY 2015 section for the app.

A more difficult question concerns software that was released in 2014.  I am of the mind that we should include any software first publicly released in 2014, rather than restricting NANY to only things that have been written in last few months.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00 PM »
A more difficult question concerns software that was released in 2014.  I am of the mind that we should include any software first publicly released in 2014, rather than restricting NANY to only things that have been written in last few months.

I agree with this, but only with the caveat that if Software falls under this category (Already released at some point this year) then the NANY release for it MST include MAJOR feature updates.  After all, NANY does stand for "NEW APPS for the new year" not "Stuff already released that we just want to give some publicity to" ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I guess I just feel that maybe NANY should be a celebration of software released in the last 12 months.  That way we aren't PENALIZING people for releasing stuff a few months early..
Imagine person #A releases a new cool program every month.  Person #B writes a program in february but doesn't release it until December.
By our rules, person #B qualifies for NANY but person #A doesn't, and person #A's programs are disqualified from any NANY.
I don't like that.

I've thought for a while that NANY should be a celebration of apps released in the past year.. Or at least indie releases that haven't gotten much public attention..

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11 PM »
I do somewhat agree, but still can't help but think that it some-what goes against the N in NANY which as we all know, stands for NEW.  Something released 9 months ago, isn't NEW lol. 

I know what you are getting at however so feel free to disagree with me completely lol

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Well you're point is valid too -- it's the other side of the coin.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 02:20 PM »
I must say, I am certainly not against the fact it will probably boost the NANY releases by a fair amount lol

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Yeah, that's a hard one. I've released a couple of things this year. But I've already announced them here.

I'd feel kind of as if it was cheating to claim those as my submissions to NANY 2015.

Then again, there's another Ludum Dare coming up in December which I'm planning to participate in. That's close enough that perhaps I could combine LD31 with a NANY 2015 release. Though honestly I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that idea, either.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Then again, there's another Ludum Dare coming up in December which I'm planning to participate in. That's close enough that perhaps I could combine LD31 with a NANY 2015 release. Though honestly I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that idea, either.

that's a good idea, I'd say (why not?)
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Why not do like NaNoWriMo?  They've had similar discussions... and decided what fit... and anything else just goes into the Rebel category.  We don't really want to be exclusive, I'd not think.  That just doesn't seem in the spirit of NANY.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47 PM »
After all, NANY does stand for "NEW APPS for the new year" not "Stuff already released that we just want to give some publicity to"

+1 - New means new, and any attempt at widening that scope detracts from the frantic comraderal push to create something within the time frame allotted. You can't be in the moment ahead of time...it just doesn't work that way.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Perhaps a compromise solution might be to list the normal NANY apps and do it as we usually do, but then have like a supplemental summary of OTHER RELEASES THIS YEAR by authors who participate in NANY?

So you must code something new but we will also list your OTHER new free software released this year, as a kind of "SEE ALSO"

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Well, what about an application that I've put on a webpage that noone knows about - not even Google, but is technically publicly accessible?  I have a nice program that I've spent a lot of time on that virtually noone knows about and isn't on any of the freeware sites and can't be found in Google - does that count as unpublished?  Mouser, I've sent you the link to my page before.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Well, what about an application that I've put on a webpage that noone knows about - not even Google, but is technically publicly accessible?
oh that's fine.  we don't do fineprint here. if it meets the spirit of the idea it's fine.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Great!  Thanks, Mouser.  I've watched the NANY's before because I was afraid of publishing my software on account of the extra work it brings.  But I have something that is pretty complete, so it might not be so bad.  I'll try to make my entry in the next week or so.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 11:43 PM »
After all, NANY does stand for "NEW APPS for the new year" not "Stuff already released that we just want to give some publicity to"

+1 - New means new, and any attempt at widening that scope detracts from the frantic comraderal push to create something within the time frame allotted. You can't be in the moment ahead of time...it just doesn't work that way.

I don't see how this is valid... or how the current rules even apply to this, truthfully.  You can work on it for as long as you want to under the current rules.  It just can't be *released* (which is a nebulous term) before NANY.  The only frantic push is if you put off developing your application until the deadline.  Some years... I've been in that number.  Others... not so much.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 04:07 AM »
Yes that is the irony.

I, myself think of NANY from January but do not start coding till October / November, in fear I may release it and it may become invalid for NANY.

It is true NANY should be for new apps, in fact most forums and websites gives special mention to NANY. But we should also make another, like mouser suggested "See Also", to add those released in that year.

This way programmer like me, may start earlier and save some of their hairs. But they must make one 'unpublished' app at the end of the year.

Well those are my points, others may have better suggestions.

Regards,

Anand