topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 4.10 todo list  (Read 11876 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor 4.10 todo list
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:05 AM »
On my todo list for next update is:

• Allow user to save + load object editing tools settings (arrow sizes, fonts, etc.)
  • Allow user to configure how Ctrl+C (copy) behaves; right now it is context sensitive (in object editing mode if you have an object selected it will copy the object only); some people would prefer Ctrl+C always copy the full flattened image bitmap.
  • Possibly some kind of ruler or measurement thing

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:19 AM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 4.10 todo list
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Possibly some kind of ruler or measurement thing
I'm giving that two thumbs up (but now I can't hold my mouse properly).

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:55 AM »
Thanks to your recent changes I re-discovered the clipboard functions. For some reason I had this TB-button disabled, a bad idea, because it contains great features (both, to and from the clipboard) that I 've not seen anywhere else. Great stuff, and also thanks for the improved update.

• Allow user to save + load object editing tools settings (arrow sizes, fonts, etc.)
Really looking forward to this one. It will speed up workflows tremendously and help maintain consistency of visual appeance.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Early beta preview of version that can save and load object preset settings: here (or portable).  See Objects menu.

How to use the new feature:
  • You can save your object panel settings (line, arrow, highlight, textmemo, etc.) to files.
  • Once you do they will appear in the Object-> Object Presets submenu.
  • To apply previously saved settings to one or more EXISTING obejcts, select the objects (in object mode), and THEN load the previously saved object settings from the submenu.
  • To load previously saved settings for subsequent object creation, just ensure you have no objects selected and then choose the previously saved object settings from the submenu.
  • The object settings files are just text files, you can edit and delete them manually.
  • Advanced users: If you want to make object settings files that only affect certain properties (for example arrow properties) without affecting other tools, just edit the files in a text editor to remove the properties you want to leave untouched.

Let me know how it works for you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:10 PM by mouser »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Just a kind of off topic question, dev's versioning systems has always amused me a little. (See the recent browser "big number wars"!)

You're def "old school" where tweaks are minor versions and you save the "big gun" for something heavy.

What would be way down the pike to kick it into 5.0?

I remember seeing bits of talk on Slashdot about Linux kernels/etc staying on something like 2.6.24 for years and then there was a minor fuss when Linus Torvalds kicked it over into the 3.x series.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Funny question since once of the features i had on my list to bump it to v5 was saving+loading object presets..  I'll have to check my todo list for any other major features planned.

Sometimes I try to only advance a major version when it heralds a bunch of big new features.. But occasionally I'll just look at the features added since last major version and decide it's time for a major version bump.  In other words, I don't have a well defined rationale for when to increase major version numbers -- other than the general idea that Version X+1 should have a ton of stuff that version X does not.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37 AM »
Well, it's not quite what I was hoping for. No objections to saving the whole set, but to speed up workflows, such an ini-file would look more like this:

CustomTool_1
Caption="Red Arrow thick"
LineColor=#EA1C1C
LineWidth=8
CustomTool_2
Caption="Yellow Arrow thin
LineColor=#FFFF00
LineWidth=1
CustomTool_3
Caption="-----"
CustomTool_4
Caption="Textbox big"
FontSize=80

This would constitute its own user dropdown menu. CustomTool_3 is a separator with no other function than organizing the presets in the dropdown. The important thing to notice: You can have multiple presets for the same object (red arrow AND yellow arrow) within one ini-configuration.

You'd simply pick your "Red Arrow thick" and start drawing. Without having to worry what other (unwanted) object changes this change entails. Because it won't change any of the other objects. The next textbox will NOT come up with a totally weird and out-sized font just because you happened to need it one time only, unfortunately in that same session when you stored your arrow as a preset.

Your remedy to avoid this - manual tweaking of the ini-file - may be a tall order for some users, especially if English is not their native language. Non-progammers are not very comfortable with finding and deleting specific lines in ini-files.

Maybe I missed something and you had other advantages in mind that I fail to see? My expectations are primed by other software, which led to a certain workflow over the years. Always ready to ditch the old ways, so if you found a more efficient workflow, please explain.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 04:43 AM »
Funny question since once of the features i had on my list to bump it to v5 was saving+loading object presets..  I'll have to check my todo list for any other major features planned.

Sometimes I try to only advance a major version when it heralds a bunch of big new features.. But occasionally I'll just look at the features added since last major version and decide it's time for a major version bump.  In other words, I don't have a well defined rationale for when to increase major version numbers -- other than the general idea that Version X+1 should have a ton of stuff that version X does not.

Your prog doesn't seem to be in range, but a lot of progs seem to be tied elsewhere, as in "we don't support below x". I know it's risking drifting off topic a bit, but looping back it seems each program goes through this. It's grand when it starts, yay a few updates, then it gets into support misery!

This is far from the thread to get too far into theory; it is just an attempt to get one specific local data nugget to chew on. Having just checked, I am on 4.85, but then I basically only needed that one little left click feature you put in ages ago, so I'm fine.

Just scouting out local-wide how a long running project develops.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Maybe I missed something and you had other advantages in mind that I fail to see? My expectations are primed by other software, which led to a certain workflow over the years. Always ready to ditch the old ways, so if you found a more efficient workflow, please explain.

Well, I can envision rare cases where you want to save whole sets of object tool settings at once, BUT no, you didn't miss anything -- it would be better if the program let you choose which single object tool settings to save in the file at the time of saving, so you could choose without having to edit the manually edit the file.  Or I'll just make it so, if you are on a specific tool panel, it will only save that tool settings, but if the tool panel is closed, it will save all.

I will try to add this asap.

As far as more than one entry in a single file and custom separators -- that won't be possible the way i've done it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:55 AM »
New beta uploaded;  this version only saves the currently selected tool settings in the preset file.  If you leave object mode or just get out of a specific object tool mode, it will save all.  You will get a hint about this in the Save dialog.
This should make it considerably easier to work with object tool presets.

Two other items to note:
  • The Tool Preset menu, built from filenames, is sorted.  You can use this to help you arrange the menu in the order you want.
  • In the More Interface Options tab, you can choose to show the Object Presets menu on the root main menu (instead of a submenu of the Objects menu); this may be useful for those of you who will be switching presets frequently.

Let me know how it works for you.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 01:18 AM »
Sounds good. Want to try it on a real project, but cannot find the correct download. Would you please point me to the link for the latest beta?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:34 AM »
 here (or portable).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 06:41 PM »
any reports?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Works for me, though I've not tried every setting.
Moved object presets to the main menu etc.
 :Thmbsup:

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51 AM »
Much better. I also enabled the main menu option, quick access, no dangling through fly-outs necessary. And I like your idea of saving the whole set if no specific object is active.  :Thmbsup:

It were nice to click and start drawing right away. This would also make it easier to find your way among the very tiny buttons, because you simply replicate your favorites with descriptive names in your user drop-down. Upon selecting, the corresponding object button will highlight and offer its settings.

Ideally, drawing right away would allow triggering objects that are not on the toolbar. To remove buttons you never tweak, being fine with the presets you have set up for them. Such a reduced toolbar also makes navigating the remaining buttons easier, without compromising your objects available - just get them from their descriptive name in the user dropdown.

It would help to access object selection mode with a key shortcut (Esc or Space or whatever). It's distracting to travel to the outer edge, aiming for the right button, then back again to the center of the screen, to resume where you left off. Alternatively, Ctrl D (deselect) could always snap back to object selection mode. Or a right-click menu that brings up the selection modes at the mouse pointer. Yet another way to de-clutter the toolbar.

I really like the direction this whole preset-improvement has taken. Achieving a consistent look across similar objects has become a lot easier. Warrants a new major version number, imo.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 05:22 AM »
Upon selecting, the corresponding object button will highlight and offer its settings.
good idea, i will add it.

It would help to access object selection mode with a key shortcut
good idea, i will add a hotkey to toggle in and out of object selection mode.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Thank you. Much appreciated. Looking forward to working ever more with SC  :up:

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15 AM »
It would help to access object selection mode with a key shortcut
good idea, i will add a hotkey to toggle in and out of object selection mode.

Is there a possibility this could also be available through a right-click context menu?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57 AM »
New beta is up that is smarter about switching to the object mode of the saved preset; fixed a few bugs related to saving and loading object presets.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:32 AM »
I am embarrassed to admit that once again, I am unable to locate the download for the latest beta.
The link you gave me last time still points to the older version.
Where do I find the beta-downloads anyway?

I will add a hotkey to toggle in and out of object selection mode.

Is there a possibility this could also be available through a right-click context menu?
Been wondering at times why there is no context menu at all. If this has to do with right-mouse panning, maybe this could be altered to reflect the way how panning works in most image software: Holding down Space and dragging.

This kind of temporary mode could also be made available for the object selection mode: Holding down Ctrl to select objects (like in Photoshop etc). The mouse pointer, however, should make this obvious. BTW, I wouldn't mind if the mouse pointer were different in object selection in general, showing an arrow to distinguish it from drawing mode.

Granted, I have become very conditioned by other software. Certain behaviors are getting reinforced continuously. Like pressing the right mouse button for a context menu to copy and paste etc, mouse-wheeling to zoom .... apropos, here comes my last BTW in this post: An option to reverse the wheel-zoom. It works the other way round in my other programs: Rolling towards the screen gets closer, zooms in, you're approaching the image - rolling backwards/ away from the screen makes the image smaller, zooms out.