ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Firewall

Outpost and WinXP SP2

<< < (4/5) > >>

tenseiken:
I'm starting to get BSODs while running Outpost now (none otherwise).  I recently switched from Win2k Pro to WinXP Pro, and had no problems before, both with the installation and use.  After scouring Agnitum's forums and seeing a dozen or so threads about BSODs, I'm starting to question the wisdom of purchasing Outpost (discounted or otherwise).  It doesn't seem like the underlying problem, whatever that may be, is being worked on by the developers... or if it is, it's just not being fixed.  I certainly don't want to use the integrated Windows firewall, and I don't really want to switch back to Sygate, but I'm not being left with many choices...

mouser:
here's what i can tell you, and i need to repeat, i am not a fan of official agnitum support team, and im not a salesman for outpost :)

1) i've been using outpost for several years now, and it has been rock solid stable for me.  ie it never crashes, never bluescreens.
now obviously you've got an issue, and you're not the only one given the forum, but it does mean that in general its not a buggy app, and given the volume of traffic on the forum it shouldnt be surprising to find some others with bluescreens.

2) outpost is actively developed, and win xp sp2 is a big user base, so i would be quite sure they care about making it stable on this platform.

i can only suggest to keep looking to try to figure out what is making it freak out - clearly its a problem not with you but with the app, but maybe you can try to figure out what is triggering it.. some other app may be trying to make a specific connection, or something like that..  actually there was a known bluescreen issue that a friend figured out a cause for.. it had to do with a certain cygwin-compiled app trying to establish a connection.. see if you can figure out what is causing the bluescreen... try disabling all plugins.

Scott:
Agnitum fixes (or tries to) BSODs in many of its releases.  I've run every firewall under the sun, and I've never seen another one with such an ongoing propensity for serious stability issues.

After becoming tired of devoting several hours a month to configuration and other related hassles, I decided to give up on software firewalls indefinitely.  I don't run one at all now, and they can all kiss my ass.

P.S.  I don't want someone to tell me that I should run a software firewall, at all costs.

mouser:
you should run a software firewall, at any cost.

JeffK:
Scott, you should run a software firewall, not at any cost, but at the cost of some smarty pants people on a forum telling you you should run a software firewall at any cost.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version