topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Ideas Wanted!  (Read 30353 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ideas Wanted!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 10:49 AM »
On the bookmark manager utility I'd like to see an option to convert the input file type to the output file type with no assumptions as to the location.  As example, if I open a browse button for Firefox bookmarks as input and choose a file, then click a browse button for Opera as output, I can save the Firefox bookmarks formatted as Opera type .adr file, and vice versa.

IOW, I'd like to totally replace the target browser's bookmarks with those from the input, not merge.

Edit:  Preferably the input for Firefox should be able to handle and convert both .json and .html to .adr or whatever output.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Welcome pillbug!

Please do start a new thread on it, and i think it would be wonderful if you took on this task.

In preparation for doing this I downloaded a few examples of "wrapped" installers, but that's all i've done so far, and I'd be happy to provide you with those.
I found wrapped examples from cnet, brothersoft and softonic.

I have some ideas about what the dll should do and how it should react, which we can talk about after you start the new thread.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Finally made it back with what I think would be a great idea...at least for the Linux users out here.  A sed trainer/tester.  SED uses regex expressions extensively, but most/all testers I have found show the regex as not matching, when (in fact) it does.  I don't know if this is because it is a different version of regex, errors in the tester, or something else. 

Ideally, what I would like to see is something where you point to a file to upload (or paste it in if it is a windows utility, which would be fine) then type in a sed statement.  It would then show what the output would be without actually altering the file itself.

This idea came from a lot of Linux scripts I have been writing for work lately - scripts that must often alter existing configuration files.  sed is a perfect tool for this, but it takes extensive time to research the proper regex to apply, only to find out it isn't exactly right.  Moreover, once I DO find the right regex expression, making sure the replacement (most commonly), or other sed action, reacts properly is more trial and error.

For those unaware of the ever-powerful sed utility in Linux, this seminal work by Bruce Barnett provides a great detailed overview:

http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html

That said, reading it and doing it correctly (remembering all the rules, exceptions, switches, etc) are completely different, even when working with it on a regular basis.  Hence a tool that would test, and perhaps even suggest solutions to find targeted text could be imminently helpful to linux scripters everywhere.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Finally made it back with what I think would be a great idea...at least for the Linux users out here.  A sed trainer/tester.  SED uses regex expressions extensively, but most/all testers I have found show the regex as not matching, when (in fact) it does.  I don't know if this is because it is a different version of regex, errors in the tester, or something else. 

Ideally, what I would like to see is something where you point to a file to upload (or paste it in if it is a windows utility, which would be fine) then type in a sed statement.  It would then show what the output would be without actually altering the file itself.

This idea came from a lot of Linux scripts I have been writing for work lately - scripts that must often alter existing configuration files.  sed is a perfect tool for this, but it takes extensive time to research the proper regex to apply, only to find out it isn't exactly right.  Moreover, once I DO find the right regex expression, making sure the replacement (most commonly), or other sed action, reacts properly is more trial and error.

For those unaware of the ever-powerful sed utility in Linux, this seminal work by Bruce Barnett provides a great detailed overview:

http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sed.html

That said, reading it and doing it correctly (remembering all the rules, exceptions, switches, etc) are completely different, even when working with it on a regular basis.  Hence a tool that would test, and perhaps even suggest solutions to find targeted text could be imminently helpful to linux scripters everywhere.

+1.  I think I would find it useful.  I've used sed here and there but not nearly enough as I could have.  As you say, the trial and error with substitutions can be time consuming.  A tool such as you describe would be very cool.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Hm, I usually go to www.regex101.com to devise a proper regex find/replace, then head over to one of our HP-UX machines and use trial&error to fix-up the not supported regex signs like \d -> [:digit:] and similar sillyness. After that I've found a sed sequence that works on all our *nix platforms... :huh:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 10:41 PM »

Live preview of sorts?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Hm, I'd be able to start something relatively small like this sed tester, just to be able to join this NANY :tellme:
I'd start with a live preview feature, but don't hold your breath, it'll take me a couple of days to publish it here, only small time-slots available :huh:

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 08:30 PM »