topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Laboratory-Grown Penises Ready To Be Tested In Humans  (Read 17529 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Laboratory-Grown Penises Ready To Be Tested In Humans
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Scientists at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine could be offering new hope to men with genital abnormalities or injuries in as little as five years, thanks to one of their many tissue engineering endeavors: lab-grown penises.

While that may sound a little far-out, these guys are among the world leaders in regenerative medicine and they’ve achieved some remarkable things in the past. Back in 1999, they became the first in the world to successfully implant a lab-grown organ into humans—a bladder. Since then, they’ve transplanted engineered vaginas into women born with defects or without vaginas entirely, and have started working on growing tissues and organs for more than 30 different areas of the body.

Team leader Anthony Atala began this genital journey back in 1992, but it was not until 2008 that the scientists proved transplanting engineered penises was theoretically possible. Having spent a considerable amount of time working out the best way to engineer these tricky organs, the team managed to grow 12 functioning penises for rabbit subjects. After grafting them on to the recipients, all tried to mate with a female, eight successfully ejaculated, and four produced offspring. While these results were certainly encouraging, gaining approval for human trials is another kettle of fish. However, Atala is confident that it could be granted by the FDA within five years if they can prove the technique is safe.

So how do they do it? They first obtain a donor penis and strip all the cells from it with a detergent. The researchers are then left with a collagen scaffold which they then seed with a combination of cultivated smooth muscle and endothelial cells from the recipient. Using the patient's own cells eliminates the risk of immunological rejection that often occurs when transplants are given from another individual. However, because the cells are taken from the male’s genitals, it means that the procedure could not be used for female-to-male sex reassignment surgery.

The team has already engineered six human penises that are ready for transplantation; if approval for trials is granted and they prove to be a success, the researchers hope that they could be used all over the world to help people with a variety of problems. In particular, they envisage them being used in men who have suffered from traumatic injuries, for example those returning from the battlefield. However, they could also be used in individuals with congenital abnormalities, or children born with a disorder known as ambiguous genitalia. In the majority of instances, boys born with this condition are given a sex-change at birth, which can lead to serious psychological problems throughout life.

Read Full Story: http://www.iflscienc...ady-be-tested-humans

BAC1972

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Laboratory-Grown Penises Ready To Be Tested In Humans
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:43 PM »
 :-[ :)very interesting ......and spooky..at the same time :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Did you really mean 'In' or should it have been 'On' ?

After all, it is an external appendage - or maybe your referring to the final 'Size Does/Doesn't Matter' test ?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Penises! Just what everybody needs!

I'm so glad they focused on getting that squared away first, as opposed to expending resources on something less useful...like a replacement leg...or arm...or eye or.... :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:50 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Would this then be the one single surgery where you actually want it to be a real cock-up? :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:15 PM »
Would this then be the one single surgery where you actually want it to be a real cock-up? :P

Groan! Ok kiddies...that's one for the hall o' fame. ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22 PM »
^ I also do fart jokes.  :o

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Penises! Just what everybody needs!

I'm so glad they focused on getting that squared away first, as opposed to expending resources on something less useful...like a replacement leg...or arm...or eye or.... :P

Well, they are extending resources to give one a leg up on the competition.. I mean if you really just want them to help you stand for something...is the angle at which it's done really that critical?? And there's no point in needing/having/wanting longer arms, if you can reach anyway...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Well, they are extending resources to give one a leg up on the competition.. I mean if you really just want them to help you stand for something...is the angle at which it's done really that critical?? And there's no point in needing/having/wanting longer arms, if you can reach anyway...

Remember the great Microsoft strategy of the 1990's?

"Embrace, Extend, ... "

... uh...

:tellme:  ;)

Suggested distribution wrapper:

Magnum_Gold_Wrapper.jpg

I just don't know why this isn't in the NSFW humor thread.

8)

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:09 AM »
They first obtain a donor penis and strip all the cells from it with a detergent

I think I will 'hold' onto mine or should I say keep mine for another while.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23 AM »
I wonder who the first person to have one grafted to their forehead will be, and whether it will be voluntary or some kind of punishment. And will a scrotum be included?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11 AM »
I know where this will be going:
Screenshot - 1_15_2015 , 9_10_28 AM.png

And if breast implants are any indicator, it's gonna get crazy!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 11:36 AM »
wonder who the first person to have one grafted to their forehead will be

Huh? Aren't there several persons in very high government office that already have? :huh:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:43 AM »
wonder who the first person to have one grafted to their forehead will be

Huh? Aren't there several persons in very high government office that already have? :huh:

No, that is their forehead ... Ren was referring to adding an additional appendage.. ;)

@SB - Freakin' nailed it man - Totally reading my mind on that one. :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 12:10 PM »
@SB - Freakin' nailed it man

Yep! That just about says all that needs to be said. ;D :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16 PM »
And if breast implants are any indicator, it's gonna get crazy!

I dunno. There's a difference between breast implants and breast transplants.

I'm not sure there will be such a large percentage of men willing to have their penises removed and replaced with a different one as there are women willing to have their breasts cut open and some silicone added. Also, from what I've heard, it isn't uncommon for women who have gotten breast transplants to lose feeling/sensitivity in their breasts due to nerve damage. If something similar happens in penis transplants, that alone would probably be enough of a deterrent to keep it from being widely adopted in men whose penises are already perfectly functional (if not a bit aesthetically unsatisfying to their owner).

In other words, while I'm sure there are some men who would do such a thing no matter the cost, I think most men would only do it to restore some semblance of normalcy if e.g., some accident/injury/birth defect caused them to lose their penis.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04 PM »
In other words, while I'm sure there are some men who would do such a thing no matter the cost, I think most men would only do it to restore some semblance of normalcy if e.g., some accident/injury/birth defect caused them to lose their penis.

Or - much like in the woman's case - feelings of inadequacy compelled them to want more.

Woman: Guys wont look at me because flat chested.
Man: I can't get any dates because I'm hung like a pinky.

Does either make any sense in reality? No. But they're both still sales opportunities..

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:08 PM »
And lets not forget: "The street finds it's own uses for things." as William Gibson so famously put it in Burning Chrome. Technology always reduces its use case to the lowest common denominator. 8)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 04:59 PM »
i love this thread.  thanks stephen!!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 05:04 PM »
i love this thread.  thanks stephen!!

You're...erm...........You're welcome?

My Thoughts
WHAT HAVE I CREATED?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 05:09 PM »

Or - much like in the woman's case - feelings of inadequacy compelled them to want more.

Does either make any sense in reality? No. But they're both still sales opportunities..

This is a valid point, but I still feel it's not perfectly analogous. The size/sensitivity of women's breasts isn't quite as directly related to their sexual utility. Breast size is (generally) more for the man's enjoyment. If what she cares about is turning on her man, then reduced sensitivity/feeling in her breasts generally doesn't really affect her enjoyment of sex.

Whereas the size of a man's penis may be related to both the man and the woman's enjoyment (though too large can be painful/troublesome for some women). But the sensitivity is definitely related to the sexual utility! He might not be able to even use it for sex at all if he's got no feeling in it.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 05:21 PM »

This is a valid point, but I still feel it's not perfectly analogous. The size/sensitivity of women's breasts isn't quite as directly related to their sexual utility. Breast size is (generally) more for the man's enjoyment. If what she cares about is turning on her man, then reduced sensitivity/feeling in her breasts generally doesn't really affect her enjoyment of sex.

Whereas the size of a man's penis may be related to both the man and the woman's enjoyment (though too large can be painful/troublesome for some women). But the sensitivity is definitely related to the sexual utility! He might not be able to even use it for sex at all if he's got no feeling in it.

Breasts too big = Back problems (Among other things)
Penis too big = Potential impotency issues due to reduced blood flow (Also other blood pressure issues)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49 PM »
[WHAT HAVE I CREATED?]

amongst other things -
https://www.donation....msg373664#msg373664
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 05:59 PM »

Nipples should never be wasted. ;) :D

I get where you're coming from. But I really don't thing this is a one-size-fits-all type use case. Sure with normal equipment and options it might seem quite risky .. But when pangs of inadequacy strike - and options are scarce - the sense of pride is much smaller.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 07:26 PM »
People on this thread be like:

Commenting Intensifies.gif