ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Your favorite cartoons of yesterday and today?

<< < (5/10) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
... beavis and butthead!!  totally forgot about that, lol, ...
-superboyac (October 07, 2014, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have to say, B&B is the single toon that annoyed me most in all of time. I barely get its like nihilistic humor, sorta Waiting for Godot for the 90's, but for me even horrifically badly written anything is better than that particular style of humor.

But I do get that you can't knock someone who gives people what they want. Mike Judge is certainly clever, and I liked King of the Hill a bit. I just didn't care for B&B. People get to be people.

40hz:
For Oldies:

* Rocky & Bullwinkle
* Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies - especially Daffy Duck as 'Duck Twacey' in The Great Piggy Bank Robbery. And Elmer Fudd in What's Opera Doc?
* Fractured Fairy Tales
* The Pink Panther - the original 'no dialog' ones.
* Top Cat
* Popeye - the old B&W episodes.
* Koko the Clown - as a kid, I used to be terrified of clowns in general. Watching Koko was like watching a horror movie when I was 4-years old.
Here's an example of Koko. Pretty heavy watching for a little kid. Amazing what they used to show kids back when:

For newer:

* Aeon Flux - the original animated series. Also The Maxx, plus and pretty much everything else on MTV's Liquid Television series.

Sorry Charlize...your Aeon might be quite lovely to behold - but she doesn't hold a candle to the animated character.

Then there's The Maxx...impossible to summarize the plot. Go watch it.

and...

* Spawn - the original animated HBO series

* Plus...virtually everything on the PBS International Festival of Animation series hosted by the lovely Jean Marsh.
For current:

* South Park (Much as it embarrasses me to say it.) ;)
* The Simpsons - as the series got more into it, and the town of Springfield and its denizens got more fleshed out, it just kept getting better. The episode about Homer & Marge's early married years - and the birth of Bart - was a masterpiece. (Homer: Do you know why I married you Marge? Marge: Because you knocked me up? Homer: Besides that...)[/list]

Edvard:
I remember Saturday mornings spent at my Grandmother's watching cartoons and eating Cheerios, then my Grandma would switch on her game shows after the cartoons were over, and after an hour or two she'd fall asleep in her easy chair, then my brother and I would switch it to "Mystery Theater" which showed all the old black & white Japanese monster movies (Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, etc, etc,).  I loved those days...

Some Saturday morning cartoons that I used to watch when i was young:
-mouser (October 06, 2014, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
How about Grape Ape, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, Tennessee Tuxedo, Mr. Magoo, and don't forget those mainstays the Flintstones and the Jetsons... oh, how I miss those days!
Also don't forget the cartoons that were in-between Pink Panther episodes, like the Ant & the Aardvark, Misterjaw, and the Texas Toads.  Ant & the Aardvark had some killer one-liners that still crack me up today. ("Hey ant, you're pretty good... you'd be even better with jelly on toast!")

And don't forget those classic Krofft Brothers' live-action shows.  Maybe not cartoons, but there they were on Saturday morning with the rest of them; H.R. Pufnstuf, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, the Krofft Supershow (Elektrawoman and Dynagirl were my first crushes), Land of the Lost, Far Out Space Nuts... * Edvard lapses into a temporary coma of reminiscence...
I'll have to confess there were some that I hated with a purple passion.  I hated the Smurfs and all the clones (Snorks, Trollkins, etc), I couldn't stand Scrappy Doo, and when the networks started in with the "Junior" versions of classic cartoons (Pink Panther & Son, Muppet Babies, Pup Named Scooby-Doo, etc, ad nauseum), I was done.

Renegade:
The Star Wars cartoons are pretty darn good. The new series "Rebels" is also starting really strong.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned them yet.

techidave:
Mr. Magoo, hasn't he been around like forever?

oh Magoo, you've done it again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version