ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who is your Favourite "Doctor"?

<< < (5/12) > >>

40hz:
I've only watched a few of the "modern" episodes and haven't found them anything like as enthralling.  Perhaps that's rosy-tinted nostalgia, but it just isn't the same show that I used to enjoy so much.
-rjbull (October 06, 2014, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more we are constantly evolving individuals. And it's hard to maintain that sense of wonder we occasionally have when we experience something for the first time. Our tastes change over time. And every additional experience we have has a direct bearing on our personalities and tastes.

In the case of Dr. Who or StarTrek ( and NG was far better IMHO) I think it's not so much we miss the old versions of the shows as much as we miss the old version of ourselves that got so much enjoyment from watching them.

'"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." as Heraclitus so aptly put it back around 450 BC.
 ;)

wraith808:
In the case of Dr. Who or StarTrek ( and NG was far better IMHO) I think it's not so much we miss the old versions of the shows as much as we miss the old version of ourselves that got so much enjoyment from watching them.
-40hz (October 07, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Had to give a shout out for DS9, which was my favorite for various reasons.

TaoPhoenix:
I think it's more we are constantly evolving individuals. And it's hard to maintain that sense of wonder we occasionally have when we experience something for the first time. Our tastes change over time. And every additional experience we have has a direct bearing on our personalities and tastes.
-40hz (October 07, 2014, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes this is here, but I think the broader evolution of SciFi is involved here too.

I remember as a child raiding a local chain of used book stores called "Annie's Bookstop" (I think) as a youth. Because their pricing was a bit sweetly-naively based on original cover prices divided by 2, as a youth I could get whole bags full of the "golden" and "silver" age story collections from the 40's-70's for twenty bucks. Harlan Ellison was my own personal holy grail, but the example I want to go into here is Isaac Asimov's story "Nightfall".

It's a fairly simple story, that relies on accurate wording to work. World has some 7 suns and bunches of moons, somehow not collapsing into chaos. (Astronomer PHD heaven!) But it just so happens every big bunch of years, say 400-700, you somehow get a total 7 sun eclipse and the entire world goes dark for a night. Chaos reigns. Civilization collapses in the chaos and looting.

It's a nice little story. But it somehow became its own SuperMeme and ended up being included in some thirty anthologies for thirty years.

We just don't do that anymore. As ______ (media/content/culture/lore) gets older, it feels like it really degrades far faster now.

40hz:
^I think the subtitle for the original Max Headroom series said it best: "20 minutes into the future."

With the pace of innovation and discovery as accelerated as it is today, it's become increasingly difficult for even the most forward thinking of scifi visionaries to get much further into the future than 20 minutes.
 8)

4wd:
Jon Pertwee for me.

BTW, if you're going to have Paul McGann in the list, you need to include John Hurt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version