topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How much value would there be in an optional floating small clip window?  (Read 6809 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I think this has come up before, and I have been considering adding it.  It would be a non-trivial amount of work so i'm trying to figure out if it would be something that would be really useful to more than a handful of users.
The idea is for an optional tiny window (much smaller than the main window) which could be made-semi transparent and dragged around and resized on screen and would stay on top of other program windows.
It would show clips (only their excerpts, similar to what quick paste menu does) from a single group, and would server one and only one purpose: to let you double click an item to paste it into the last active window.

So essentially it is a hybrid of the quick paste (or group-specific popup) menu and the full window, and offers no features that the main window doesn't offer; the only benefit is that it would be much smaller than the normal window and could be left on top of the screen while you are working on something to allow you to quickly double-click a clip to paste it into the main window.

I'd like to hear from folks who think this would be useful or not..

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it would be helpful. It would be similar to Ethervane Echo?
I've been running both it and CH&S at the same time for awhile now so I would have that quick paste feature and also the ability of storing images with CH&S.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Over the years I've come to use CH+S as my only clipboard manager. That said, I don't think that what you describe would be of significant benefit to me.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The feature @mouser is suggesting could be potentially very useful, but I would not know without trying it out first.
Over the years I've come to use CH+S as my only clipboard manager. ...
-cranioscopical (October 04, 2014, 11:46 PM)

+1 from me.

However, I can't say that what @mouser is proposing definitely wouldn't be of significant benefit to me, because, well, how could I possibly know the future?
If there is one thing that I do know, it is that one does not fully understand one's requirements for a feature until one has tried out the feature - "suck it and see".
For example, it was only after some experimentation that I belatedly discovered that, in CHS, there is a potentially (for me) tremendously useful feature which (despite it's being somewhat constrained) is the ability to apply SQL filters to categorise and collect certain classes of information - such as my notes about using CHS:

CHS - using SQL filters for categorisation.png

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how could I possibly know the future?
I'm disappointed to infer that you can't, as I was hoping for the winner of the next race at Cheltenham.
I was considering the effort:potential ratio to which the great man referred  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I thought you were! So was I!    :)
Sorry to disappoint re the lack of forecasting for the nags at Cheltenham.

Clearly, he's been "considering adding it" for some time, so in his wisdom he presumably sees it as being potentially useful. Similarly (?) like his apparent lack of interest in providing a ruler in SC - 'cause it would seem to be redundant.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Similarly (?) like his apparent lack of interest in providing a ruler in SC - 'cause it would seem to be redundant.
I know, that just doesn't measure up to expectations.
Rightly or wrongly, a ruler is the first thing for which I look when manipulating sizes on screen. It's a work habit imported from other software.
(I just asked, in another thread, for this request to be considered.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:19 PM by cranioscopical, Reason: afterthought »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I would find it useful. I only use CHS in some specific situations because I find it is slow for me, but that would make it very fast & easy. (An assignable global hotkey for it would make it even faster, e.g. CTRL+SHIFT+1,2,3,4)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

motiontwelve

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is currently #1 on my CHS wish list.  Please make my dream come true.  8)
Just to add, Rich text formatting (insert pictures, tables, highlight, etc) is #2 lol

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The clipboard manager I use most is ArsClip, which has this:
The Clipboard Bar's main purpose is a clip viewer window.
This mouse-friendly window also acts as a Drag and Drop target, a Popup
trigger, and clipboard manager.
... and I don't use it.  Hence a "no" from me.

One of the features I most like about CHS is its Paste Templates, invoked by popup > Additional actions... on last clip.  The main popup menu has accelerator keys.  Please, could there be accelerator keys on the Additional actions menu too?