ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

not freeware !!!

<< < (5/10) > >>

TucknDar:
I'd hate to see some time from now the download.com advertising freeware that you can for free 30 days then you'll have to pay if you want to use it for free   (some freeware).
--- End quote ---

I see this happening already - I'm on the same page with you on this one: I hate being lured in by the promise of a "free download" only to discover that it's for a 15 day trial. No arguments with you there...-Darwin (March 18, 2007, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, me too! Whenever I search for 'free someutility' or whatever I get a lot of "free download" that is apparently a free trial....  :-\ I think that's a long way from the DC way of doing it, although I did have some similar concerns as edyshor when I first came across DC.

dk70:
Reading those FREEWARE fighters complaints about DC I just cant distinguish between supporting a way of distributing software and the need to pay absolutely nothing like in being cheap - no offense to edyshor which seems to have more of an annoyance problem, partly based on technical rules of what freeware is. Not sure it relates to 2007 and how software chain works. Seems to be monetary interest no matter where you look - DC way of getting by is "light" compared to many other "schemes" CCleaner with its Yahoo toolbar (Uh we got lucky, he made a non-toolbar build just for us - it is saved!), free as bait for payware etc. Or may be site of program is getting so much traffic Google Ads kicks in! Wonder if Hijackthis was not sold to Trend Micro had it been DC ware. Winsnap author dont think so http://www.ntwind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652

Firefox is open source and freeware - also using the biggest money machine on internet. Same which try to guide me to ad-links while I read alt.comp.freeware :) Does not matter because it is freeware and 100% convinient to download and install. Yeah yeah but dont talk about ethics... How many Firefox users are aware they join the party while searching or using default start page? 1 out of 100, may be.

Ruffnekk:
I must say I can see why edyshor thinks our software is not pure freeware, but on the other hand classifying it as anything else isn't an option either. Technically it isn't donationware, because that would *require* a user to donate, right? The problem is that many software listing sites have a couple of categories to choose from, and usually none of them are 'freeware after registration'. In that perspective, freeware is the logical choice to classify our software. It's free, it will always be free and there's no scheme to get money from users. The amount of effort we put in coding our software can not even be compared to the minimal amount of effort needed to get a free license key. On top of that, registering with DC has additional benefits and the license key you get works on all supported software.

tomos:
hopefully not off topic, rather sidestepping the semantics:

when i think about this site,*
how well it's run, - &, how well it runs(!)
I'm always very impressed.

also,
when i think about this site,
I gotta think about the amount of money it must cost to keep it up and running
AND
the amount of time people invest in keeping it up and running - and looking good too  :-*

what more need i say,
i donate when i can - people can donate if you want, not if you don't ...

* "site" meaning software too  :)

edyshor:
Technically it isn't donationware, because that would *require* a user to donate, right? The problem is that many software listing sites have a couple of categories to choose from, and usually none of them are 'freeware after registration'. -Ruffnekk (March 19, 2007, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm sorry to see that you haven't read my entire post or you haven't payed attention to what I've written.

The difference between payware and donationware is the fact that, for payware, you have to pay in order to use the software, as for donationware, you are able to use the software without payment, hasslefree, but you are told (if you want) to give a small amount to the coder.

The DC software would be donationware, aside the fact that the user has to give you info about him and get a license key (which contradicts the traditional donationware model).

Now don't jump on me, I've said it before, I completely understand the need for money and the time invested in building great application, but do please choose another description with respect to every user worldwide, and in the cases you have to choose between freeware and shareware on applications sites, i believe is not that hard to include additional explications like the one for ProcessTame on download.com right? :)

These are just my opinions, you are free to do whatever you want, internet is a (mostly) free medium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version