topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684461 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1075 on: November 16, 2018, 11:12 AM »
That yellow font colour should be illegal.

What color would you suggest?

Something legible would be nice. How about black? Or if you must change the color, how about a nice, dark, forest green?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1076 on: November 16, 2018, 01:43 PM »
That yellow font colour should be illegal.

What color would you suggest?

Something legible would be nice. How about black? Or if you must change the color, how about a nice, dark, forest green?

Or just black.  Use Italics, Bold, and Underline for emphasis

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1077 on: November 16, 2018, 02:44 PM »

That's what I said. :Thmbsup:

Bold, italics, and underline added for emphasis. :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1078 on: November 16, 2018, 03:13 PM »

That's what I said. :Thmbsup:

Bold, italics, and underline added for emphasis. :P

Well, I had to add it for emphasis.  ;) :P ;D

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1079 on: November 16, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Too late, you can't unsee it. Maybe next time...

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1080 on: November 16, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Time MS allowed users control over updates again - won't happen but that is why I have gone back to Windows 7 on all my systems!!

Window 10 is an offer you can't refuse.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1081 on: November 17, 2018, 07:07 AM »
@Arizona Hot:
No, that is probably/not necessarily true. Though MS seemed to make it difficult - if not well nigh impossible - for users to revert to the prior OS version, there's nothing stopping the user from installing Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) - and thus expunging Win10. I contemplated doing that myself, but the trouble was that MS had cunningly bound up some new features in MS Office 2016 updates that apparently would only activate under Win10, and I wanted those features.   >:(
My "revenge" at the moment is that I have taken full control over the update process and won't let it get beyond Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2214) - or at least, not until the update path ahead is clear and becomes less risky. I feel that I have better (more useful) things to do with my cognitive surplus than let it be consumed by fixing incessant MS Win10 updates that are nearly always broken in some regard. Once or twice is OK, sure, but it's now gone beyond the pale.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1082 on: November 17, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I feel that I have better (more useful) things to do with my cognitive surplus than let it be consumed by fixing incessant MS Win10 updates that are nearly always broken in some regard. Once or twice is OK, sure, but it's now gone beyond the pale.
My "revenge" at the moment is that I have taken full control over the update process and won't let it get beyond Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2214) - or at least, not until the update path ahead is clear and becomes less risky.

Would they still be Microsoft then?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced - Win10 update fear and loathing; LTSB/LTSC versions.
« Reply #1083 on: November 18, 2018, 10:31 AM »
@Arizona Hot:
...Would they still be Microsoft then?
Heh. Well, if you're suggesting that they'll not change, even in the longer term, then you could be right, I suppose. They did change more recently though - I mean, take the case of Windows 8. There was not an awful lot wrong with Windows 7, as far as I could see, so what the heck was Windows 8? A mistake, presumably. So, Windows 10 to the rescue. If they keep screwing the Win10 updates up though, they could well be risking losing their monopoly. Google chrome is eroding that market already. The MS corporate licensing must be a complete mess, and all this instability presents a potential business risk and isn't conducive to smooth workplace processes, most of which will tend to depend on IT nowadays, to a relatively large extent.

In How to upgrade to the version of Win10 Pro that YOU want, Woody discusses the issues here. Ends up saying that:
"Windows 8.1 remains the most stable version of Windows."
If that's actually the case (I wouldn't know), then MS would presumably have known it, so one has to wonder, why not leave well enough alone - why all this incessant unseemly haste to get users back onto the update treadmill with Beta-quality updates in Win10? I suppose it's probably all about money, but it's become a serious time bandit and an unproductive resource hog for an awful lot of the planet. From experience, the usual cause of big problems like this (poor quality) can often be traced back to simple mistake/incompetence and especially where the relevant software development processes and test staging processes are below CMM Level 3 (because such processes are poorly-defined and poorly-understood by the people who are obliged to participate in them). Ultimately, that's a management-created problem (Deming).

It certainly seems to be in an awfull mess, in any event. Woody makes a valid point in the post: Ever consider dropping back to the LTSB/LTSC version of Win10?, where he links to the Computerworld post: FAQ: Windows 10 LTSB explained.
if I was advising corporate IT, I'd recommend that serious consideration be given to Woody's suggestion. For corporates, it would ultimately be all about cost containment and risk mitigation in a situation where the risks are daily becoming more evident.
That's why I wrote:
"...I have taken full control over the update process and won't let it get beyond Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2214) - or at least, not until the update path ahead is clear and becomes less risky."

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1084 on: November 19, 2018, 12:20 PM »
So my laptop's Windows 10 Home not only did a no-warning update on a reboot.

It also managed to clean out application stuff, like browser extensions. (Now I can't find Roomy Bookmarks for Firefox 56).
I had to redo screen settings, Classic Shell and stuff.

*** This must be what the thread is all about?  ***

Some places say to turn off the Windows Update Service. (However, will it stay off after a reboot?)
That might help for a couple of months.

I have another Windows 10, I think Pro, on a Desktop puter, it has not had these problems.  This Laptop recently got up to 1803,
the Desktop has been there for months without problem.

It is all quite strange.

Steven

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1085 on: November 19, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Relevant: https://www.donation....msg423151#msg423151

TL;DR - Check out windows update blocker.  It really does work.  The only annoyance I've found is that if you block with an update pending, it will keep warning you about that update.  I just click delay every day on that particular machine.  But Windows really never updates.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1086 on: November 21, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Win10 Update 11-21-18.jpgWindows 10 Announced 

I managed to get the October Update this morning and I seem to be the only one here who got it without serious incident. Anyone else? It must be working reasonably OK, I'm using it. The only problem was 1809 removed Sandboxie during installation, go to the link below to get a version that will work with 1809.

5.27 Beta Available USE THIS FOR WINDOWS 10 1809 [Latest version 5.27.2]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:24 PM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1087 on: November 21, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I managed to get the October Update this morning and I seem to be the only one here who got it without serious incident. Anyone else?

1809 still hasn't been pushed to me yet. I'm running 1803 and just checked for updates and it says there's nothing for me.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1088 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1090 on: November 24, 2018, 10:27 PM »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1091 on: November 24, 2018, 10:33 PM »

FTFY

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1092 on: December 03, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Interesting collection of links and suggestions at TinyApps blog post "If you must run Windows 10..."

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1094 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29 AM »
They should just buy Vivaldi

* rgdot hides

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1095 on: December 04, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10
my small experience of Edge is that it was/is actually a great browser -- never used it much though as not much in the line of addons. (I'm still avoiding Chrome myself, fwiw)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1096 on: December 04, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10
my small experience of Edge is that it was/is actually a great browser -- never used it much though as not much in the line of addons. (I'm still avoiding Chrome myself, fwiw)

You may want to try the chrome based Opera.  There is an Opera AddOn that enables it to use most chrome extensions.  Also it runs multiple exe instances but does not go crazy like chrome.  With default settings it uses fewer instances while still being fast.  A good compromise.  The start page quick launch thing may be kind of quirky but you can beat it into submission with patience.  :)

https://www.opera.com/computer/windows

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1097 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04 PM »
^ will try Opera. Thanks Miles :up:
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1098 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I managed to get the October Update this morning and I seem to be the only one here who got it without serious incident. Anyone else?

1809 still hasn't been pushed to me yet. I'm running 1803 and just checked for updates and it says there's nothing for me.

Microsoft finally decided to grace my PC with their October update.

I'm currently running 1809 OS Build 17763.168. Updating worked without issue, and everything seems to be running fine for me. :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1099 on: December 10, 2018, 09:16 PM »
I might actually re-enable the update service one machine at a time to see what happens... 🤞