topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684649 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #950 on: April 12, 2017, 11:17 AM »
I'm not interested in the Creators Update yet. I think a lot of people here aren't. This is the update I have.

Win 10 update 04-12-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #951 on: April 13, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Surprise! I got the Creators Update anyway later.

Win 10 04-13-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

If anyone finds out how to re-arrange the Creators Update Classic Shell Start Menu to organize what is listed here, let me know.

Creators Update Start menu.jpgWindows 10 Announced  It looks like Classic Shell will have to produce a Creators Update version.The latest version                         there is 4.3, which I have.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:09 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #952 on: April 13, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I found this to be a decent overview of the major new features of the Creators Update:

Because of my very recent acquisition of the Creators Update, I found the article below interesting also(and it's not a 26 minute video). You may not mind that after the amount of time it takes to install the Update.

Windows 10 Creators Update -  the 10 best new features.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Creators Update - the 10 best new features

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #953 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Dynamic Lock lets you automatically lock a Windows 10 PC when you’re away from it.

Is this 1995 or something  :P

I know it's more than just that, well at least it better be lol.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Dynamic Lock lets you automatically lock a Windows 10 PC when you’re away from it.

I think the idea is that it detects the presence of a Bluetooth device (such as a smart watch) and locks when you're away and automatically unlocks when you come back.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #955 on: April 13, 2017, 10:30 PM »

I think the idea is that it detects the presence of a Bluetooth device (such as a smart watch) and locks when you're away and automatically unlocks when you come back.

It could also be an extension of Windows Hello, which is pretty cool now that I have it on my Surface Pro.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2017, 06:15 PM »
It looks like Classic Shell will have to produce a Creators Update version.The latest version there is 4.3, which I have.

I don't know what happened(maybe the Update wasn't settled yet), but now I can re-organize that menu.

Clipboard03.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #957 on: April 22, 2017, 01:27 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #958 on: May 10, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Win 10 update 05-09-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

I presume the possible exploits mentioned elsewhere were patched and/or fixed in this latest Windows Update.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #959 on: June 13, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Win 10 update 06-13-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Behold! the latest superhero conundrum from the caves of Microsoft here to vanquish all the villains besetting you.

Win 10 Update 06-13-17 b.jpgWindows 10 Announced

2 Windows Updates in one day! Woo-hoo!

Win 10 Update 06-13-17c.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The 64-bit Win 10 Update with outside indications that the Creators Update is coming to 64-bit Win 10.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:35 PM by Arizona Hot »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #960 on: June 14, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) here after the last blast of updates - That took an hour and a half to install.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #961 on: June 16, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Did the Creators Update on one of the machines here, and now all of the Explorer shell text is missing. Desktop icons, menus, dialogs, all text is gone ... Other than that the machine appears to run fine. FireFox worked fine and had text.

SFC = no effect, DISM = no effect, and I tried clearing the font cache to no avail ... Any ideas?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #962 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Did the Creators Update on one of the machines here, and now all of the Explorer shell text is missing. Desktop icons, menus, dialogs, all text is gone ... Other than that the machine appears to run fine. FireFox worked fine and had text.

SFC = no effect, DISM = no effect, and I tried clearing the font cache to no avail ... Any ideas?
Had the same (happened to quite some other upgraders too, afaics) issue when I update to CU in April. Found some procedures that should have solved it, and that even worked for a short while, until the next reboot... After trying to revert it wouldn't even boot up anymore >:( so I did a full re-install with W10CU on a spare hdd, works like a charm. All data was still on the (ssd) disk and available, so after installation moved all files over and then moved the entire image back to the (original) ssd.

Seems to be related to Comodo being installed for some, and uninstalling that has helped in some cases, but as I'm not a Comodo user, it couldn't help me :huh:

No reliable links here, but you could google for "windows 10 creators update text missing display broken" for more suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:17 PM by Ath »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #963 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12 PM »
This might be useful: Print Management/Auditing software was the cause of the missing text issue.

After Ath's confirmation of my suspicions I did a bit more searching and found this discussion on the SpiceWorks forum talking about Printer management/auditing software being the cause of the missing text ... And indeed it was for us also. Specifically HP's JetAdvantage Print Scout service.

Now how many other of this type of software is/will/can cause problems I don't know ... But it's definitely something to look into.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #964 on: June 16, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Glad you found it!  Not sure of the best way to handle this type of issue - I don't see it as MS's fault or responsibility, honestly

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #965 on: June 16, 2017, 06:21 PM »
This might be useful: Print Management/Auditing software was the cause of the missing text issue.

After Ath's confirmation of my suspicions I did a bit more searching and found this discussion on the SpiceWorks forum talking about Printer management/auditing software being the cause of the missing text ... And indeed it was for us also. Specifically HP's JetAdvantage Print Scout service.

Now how many other of this type of software is/will/can cause problems I don't know ... But it's definitely something to look into.

That's really interesting because I rarely use my printer but noticed that the Creator's Update made all my computers forget how to interact with it, requiring me to set it up/install printer drivers again.

At first my primary computer stopped being able to print. Then a couple weeks later the other computer stopped being able to print. I didn't notice the connection at first between CU and the breakage because:

1. It was a few weeks after I installed CU on my primary PC before I first tried printing anything from that computer.
2. I installed CU on both computers several weeks apart, so the 2nd PC still hadn't been updated when the 1st PC's printing broke. Then when the 2nd PC got updated and the printing broke I made the connection.

So it seems the update breaks things having to do with printers.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #966 on: June 16, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) here

and today it was "here"

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #967 on: June 20, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Yesterday I tried the latest 64-bit Win 10 update on my other computer(seems to be Creators Update). It froze at 32% and I had to shut it down and restart with the power button. The installation then restored my previous version and I got wushowhide from Microsoft and hid that. I hope the next version is fixed.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #968 on: June 20, 2017, 05:22 PM »
I tried the Windows Update again and this time it failed at 40%, gave an error message and restarted and restored my previous Windows version after clicking on the OK box on the error message. I may be in the Insiders program without knowing it because I am getting such a buggy Update and I get to use the Feedback Hub to report these failures. I took these screenshots with my camera because I doubted I would be able to do it with the Print Screen key. I have checked the Windows Insider page and it says I am not in, but then why am I getting these Updates? I have already done the privacy settings review mentioned, so this IS the Creators Update.

DSC00517.JPGWindows 10 Announced    DSC00518.JPGWindows 10 Announced    Windows 10 Creators Update is here.jpgWindows 10 Announced

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:03 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #969 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Temporarily Disables Third Party Antivirus Software After Major Updates.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Temporarily Disables Third Party Antivirus Software After Major Updates

Don't get flustered. It says they only disables some(few) antivirus software. Most are compatible.

Windows 10 S security brought down by, of course, Word macros.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 S security brought down by, of course, Word macros

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:48 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #970 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14 PM »
Win 10 update 07-11-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

A minor uneventful 64-bit Update.

Windows 10 Build 16241 gives the best sneak peek yet at the Fall Creators Update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Build 16241 gives the best sneak peek yet at the Fall Creators Update
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:04 PM by Arizona Hot »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #971 on: July 15, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Hi all. I read through most of this topic - admittedly quickly - and naturally I found a lot of pros and cons regarding Windows 10. Of course threads like this tend to draw those having difficulties more so than those for whom it is working smoothly. Human nature, I suppose.

I presently have two computers, both running Windows 7-x64: A desktop PC and a notebook, both custom built by Puget Systems. (BTW I can't say enough good about Puget. Outstanding company!) Anyway my desktop is approaching six years young, though my notebook is only two and a half years old. I will probably be looking hard at desktops in the next six months, though the one I have seems like it will run longer than that. Specs of my desktop are still current now, at least current enough to do everything I need. Core i7 Sandy Bridge, 12 processors, 16 GB fast memory, etc. Puget Systems is building their boxes now with Windows 10, but they will still install Windows 7 if requested. Or at least they were doing that when I last spoke to someone there a few months ago.

Would it be reasonable to go with Windows 7 again for a new desktop, knowing that the hardware will support an upgrade to Windows 10 in the future? Or am I better off just getting Windows 10 when it's built?

Thanks!

Jim

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #972 on: July 15, 2017, 11:14 PM »
@J-Mac:
12 processors? That must have been a very expensive computer...with 12 i7 processors in it  :P

1 processor with 12 threads is more likely what you bought, all those years ago. I still work/surf/watch movies (1080p/x265 HEVC encoded) without any problem on an almost 10 year old 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, practically without any problem (sometimes a minor stutter occurs and that is fixed by restarting the WMI service).

You would think that with the shitty power grid here in Paraguay my computer would have died a long time ago or that I was fed up with it. But it keeps working just fine and after adding a SSD hard disk to it, it works great. With that in mind, you hardly need to think about getting a new computer if your usage pattern is similar to mine. But if have not done so already, add an SSD hard disk and boot from that disk. Your i7 will perform better than new.

But ok, say you do buy a new PC from Puget. While Windows 7 will work just fine on any model of new processor (from Intel or AMD) you will notice very quickly that Microsoft will make your Windows 7 installation obsolete. That is, when updating Windows with (future) MS patches, you will get a message saying that your Windows 7 installation won't receive any patch anymore because it runs on a too modern processor.

So, you will end up with Windows 10. Maybe it takes 2 or 3 months after you purchased your new system, but by then the lack of MS patches will make you install Windows 10.

The AMD Ryzen 1700 series processor will beat the performance of your current setup easily and it costs much less than an equivalent Intel processor. The several 100s of USD that you save, can then be used to buy/upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise edition if possible. And if that is not possible, go for the Pro edition of Windows 10. Don't accept anything less, if you work with custom software on which you depend for your income.

All lesser forms of Windows 10 will be updated when Microsoft deems it necessary. You have virtually no control over this and your custom software may or may not survive that update. In case it doesn't, tough luck for you. The Pro and Enterprise edition allow you more time to verify if your custom software remains working or gives the makers of your custom software time to fix whatever problem it encounters. Of course, if you don't have such software and/or don't need the new system for your income, then you can go for Windows 10 Home or worse.

Please understand, I think that Windows 10 as an operating system on itself, isn't bad at all. And there are lots of free tools available that curtail the "phoning home" capabilities, if having a sense of privacy is important to you. My only experiences with Windows 10 are with the Enterprise edition and that edition works well for my purposes. But as I tried to explain earlier in this post, the "rolling release" update method that Microsoft imposes on any Windows 10 Home edition (or worse) is unacceptable for my needs.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #973 on: July 16, 2017, 02:01 AM »
My opinion is that if you like Windows 7 you'll probably like Windows 10, assuming you don't have to worry about older hardware that might not be properly supported these days.

I'm also using a machine approximately the same age as yours. I custom built it around this time of year in 2011.  It's a Core i7-2600K, with 16GB RAM. I've given it occasional HDD/SDD upgrades over the years, but other than that it has done well and still feels really snappy. The only thing I feel ever really holds me back (sometimes) is my GPU, which is an AMD Radeon HD 6870. But that's just for graphically intense things such as video games.

I've been using Windows 10 since it launched and have been very happy with it on this machine. As with all versions of Windows, Windows 10 has some quirks, but it didn't take me long to adjust and learn how to deal with them to the point which I no longer really notice them. That said, your experience may vary from mine.

Your current system is beefy enough (mine certainly is) that you could probably handle installing Windows 10 in a VM to give it a test drive. It won't have native performance, of course, but at least you'll be able to get a feel for things before you make the leap.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #974 on: July 16, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Well said, Deo, and I'm another anecdotal testimony to the fact that it works well on such hardware.  I built mine in 2014 or so, and my daughters in 2010, and they work fine.