ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (193/253) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) here after the last blast of updates - That took an hour and a half to install.

Stoic Joker:
Did the Creators Update on one of the machines here, and now all of the Explorer shell text is missing. Desktop icons, menus, dialogs, all text is gone ... Other than that the machine appears to run fine. FireFox worked fine and had text.

SFC = no effect, DISM = no effect, and I tried clearing the font cache to no avail ... Any ideas?

Ath:
Did the Creators Update on one of the machines here, and now all of the Explorer shell text is missing. Desktop icons, menus, dialogs, all text is gone ... Other than that the machine appears to run fine. FireFox worked fine and had text.

SFC = no effect, DISM = no effect, and I tried clearing the font cache to no avail ... Any ideas?
-Stoic Joker (June 16, 2017, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Had the same (happened to quite some other upgraders too, afaics) issue when I update to CU in April. Found some procedures that should have solved it, and that even worked for a short while, until the next reboot... After trying to revert it wouldn't even boot up anymore >:( so I did a full re-install with W10CU on a spare hdd, works like a charm. All data was still on the (ssd) disk and available, so after installation moved all files over and then moved the entire image back to the (original) ssd.

Seems to be related to Comodo being installed for some, and uninstalling that has helped in some cases, but as I'm not a Comodo user, it couldn't help me :huh:

No reliable links here, but you could google for "windows 10 creators update text missing display broken" for more suggestions.

Stoic Joker:
This might be useful: Print Management/Auditing software was the cause of the missing text issue.

After Ath's confirmation of my suspicions I did a bit more searching and found this discussion on the SpiceWorks forum talking about Printer management/auditing software being the cause of the missing text ... And indeed it was for us also. Specifically HP's JetAdvantage Print Scout service.

Now how many other of this type of software is/will/can cause problems I don't know ... But it's definitely something to look into.

wraith808:
Glad you found it!  Not sure of the best way to handle this type of issue - I don't see it as MS's fault or responsibility, honestly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version