ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (185/253) > >>

holt:
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
-fredemeister (December 15, 2016, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)
-holt (December 15, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine's a Core 2Duo 3ghz, ran well with XP, also W10 runs faster, no lags unless I'm processing big photos.
-fredemeister (December 16, 2016, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Win10 cannot arbitrarily upgrade WinXP, or sift through XP's pix and word files to see if anything needs to be arbitrarily deleted because it 'infringes' or qualifies as slanderous or libelous 'fake news' thought crime.

fredemeister:
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
-fredemeister (December 15, 2016, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)
-holt (December 15, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine's a Core 2Duo 3ghz, ran well with XP, also W10 runs faster, no lags unless I'm processing big photos.
-fredemeister (December 16, 2016, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Win10 cannot arbitrarily upgrade WinXP, or sift through XP's pix and word files to see if anything needs to be arbitrarily deleted because it 'infringes' or qualifies as slanderous or libelous 'fake news' thought crime.
-holt (December 17, 2016, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eeesh!  True, but a bit tough for a Sunday morning.

Arizona Hot:

Microsoft Launches Windows 10 Build 15019, But It Comes With Bugs Aplenty

Anybody here in the Fast Ring with an interest in entomology?

Deozaan:
We should probably mark informational posts about Fast Ring/Insider builds as "beta" or "preview" releases so people who aren't part of the Fast Ring/Insider program don't worry they'll be affected by these issues. Otherwise it just seems a bit like fearmongering, IMO.

Related: I came across a site that somewhat nicely lists all the recent changes to Windows 10 builds, and even makes it clear who will be affected by the changes (Fast Ring, Release, Business, Xbox, Mobile, etc.)

https://changewindows.org/

With this you can see what actually changed, rather than the standard boilerplate of "This update improves functionality and security of Windows." or whatever it usually says. For example, here's what it says changed in 15019:

Click here to expand the changelogStart

*     The animation when moving tiles in and out of a folder has been polished further
*     The default tile lay-out has been updated
Microsoft Edge
Edge 40.15019

*     You can now let Edge read books aloud to you
*     If you click on an image, you can now use Ctrl + Mouse wheel to zoom in the e-book viewer
EdgeHTML 15.15019

*     When using emoji’s, Edge will now render them in full color by default
*     WebRTC 1.0 is now enabled by default
*     Re-deferral support
*     Chakra JIT is not out-of-process by default
*     Support for SharedArrayBuffer behind the Experimental JavaScript Features flag
*     Support for WebAssembly behind the Experimental JavaScript Features flag
about:flags

*     "Enable WebRTC 1.0" has been removed
Settings
System

*     "Blue light" has been renamed "Night light"
*     Night light has an updated range for color temperatures
*     Custom scaling has been added as a subpage
Personalization

*     The Wheel settings now list customizable apps alphabetically
*     The "Get more themes from the Store" button has been moved to the top of the Installed themes section
Gaming

*     Gaming has been added as a new category in the Settings app
*     "Game bar" has been added and allows you to manage the Game bar and hotkeys
*     "Game DVR" has been added with settings like storage location, FPS and more
*     "Broadcasting" has been added with settings to manage your broadcasts like audio quality and more
*     "Game Mode" has been added and allows you to enable Game Mode which will improve overall performance while playing a game
Privacy

*     You're now either in the "Basic" or "Full" group for feedback and diagnostics, with "Enhanced" removed
*     You can now disable Microsoft from using diagnostic data to provide a tailored experience
Update & recovery

*     Troubleshoot has been added as a new page and allows you to easily start troubleshooting a number of features in Windows
*     Under "Restart settings" you can now require Windows Update to show more notifications before restarting
*     The option to prevent Windows Update from installing drivers has been removed
Mixed Reality

*     "Holographic" has been renamed "Mixed Reality"
*     Settings on "Audio and speech" are now functional
*     "Environment" has been added and allows you to clear information about your environmnet
*     "Headset display" has been added and allows you to change display quality
*     "Spaces" has been added and allows you to remove holograms in your environment
*     "Uninstall" has been added and allows you to uninstall Mixed Reality
Ink Workspace

*     Improved copy reliability in Screen Sketch
System

*     The OOBE experience now includes a number of new privacy settings like Location, Speech recognition and Diagnostics
*     The OOBE now supports captive portal Wi-Fi connections
*     The OOBE has an updated design for signing into or signing up for a Microsoft Account
*     The OOBE now has pagination to indicate your progress
*     The OOBE now uses the new Windows Hello implementation to enroll
*     The OOBE now uses a recorded voice instead of a synthetic voice
*     The OOBE now supports subtitles
*     While you're account is being prepared after an upgrade or after installation, new strings will appear
Language

*     Latin-based languages now have an ellipsis child key when holding the period key on the touch keyboard
Apps
Mixed Reality Portal

*     "Windows Holographic" has been renamed "Mixed Reality Portal"
*     When clicking on "Get started", you'll now see a setup instead of the compatibility results
Windows Defender Security Center

*     Browser and app management has been added to the home page but is broken
Other features

*     You can now record with Beam
*     You can now resize Hyper-V windows in Enhanced session mode
*     17 games have been added to the list of full-screen supported with the Game bar
*     Paint now has a "Open Paint 3D" button in the ribbon
*     The on-screen touchpad has a new design to make to left and right button better visible
And further

*     The System (Enhanced) setting is now available in the Windows ADK for IT Professionals
*     Improved Settings reliability
Fixed issues

*     Unknown fixes and enhancements to the OOBE
*     Fixes an issue where right-clicking the night light quick action and clicking on Settings would open the main Settings screen instead of the night light settings
*     Fixes an issue where waking your device from sleep or connecting a new monitor would make Windows ignore the night light setting
*     Fixes an issue that would cause Explorer to hang if night light was enabled
*     Fixes an issue where connecting an Xbox 360 or One Controller to your PC would crash the DWM
*     Fixes an issue where in some games using Alt + Tab would cause both the game and the newly focused window to flicker
*     Fixes an issue where Narrator might not speak or say "No item in view" in Edge while tabbing or using other navigation commands
*     Fixes an issue where pasting on top of selected text in a Web Note would cause Edge to crash
*     Fixes an issue that kept users from viewing Twitch.tv streams in Edge
*     Fixes an issue where sharing a PDF in Edge would cause the browser to crash
*     Fixes an issue where typing [ in the F12 Developer Tools window would not work on the Hungarian keyboard
*     Fixes an issue where Taskbar preview icons would be small on high-DPI devices
*     Fixes an issue where tapping outside a textbox with focus in an UWP app would not dismiss the on-screen keyboard
*     Fixes a typo in the compatibility option to override high-DPI scaling
*     Fixes an issue where newly pinned secondary tiles would appear in the Recently Added list
*     Fixes an issue that prevented you from dragging the final tile from a folder onto the same row as the folder tile
*     Fixes an issue where using Hey Cortana could cause SpeechRuntime.exe to use a high amount of CPU
*     Fixes an issue where Notepad when maximized with enough text to require a scrollbar would result in the scrollbar's right-most edge not responding when trying to drag it
*     Fixes an issue where pressing Alt to set focus to the menu bar in some apps would cause that app to become unresponsive if pressing Ctrl or clicking inside the app's child window
*     Fixes an issue where Cortana could crash when typing out a UNC path to slow when that path has been used in Cortana before
*     Fixes an issue where Default apps would crash when you clicked on an app under "Choose default app" and selected the option to look for an app in the Store
*     Fixes an issue that could cause some apps to crash after using the Open dialog to rename or open a folder
*     Fixes an issue where Win + Shift + S would not work in the Snipping Tool if it was set to something other than Rectangle
*     Fixes an issue where Windows would open multiple Snipping Tool processes when using Win + Shift + S and hitting Esc to stop
*     Fixes an issue where some file attributes, like +s, would get lost when copying or moving a folder to another partition
*     Fixes an issue where using the Command Prompt with some fonts would cause conhost.exe to use a lot of CPU
*     Fixes an issue with Windows Ink where undoing and redoing a point erase would cause the ink to reappear in the wrong order
*     Fixes an issue where the mouse and keyboard would become unresponsive for a few seconds at a time
*     Fixes an issue where some apps would crash when switched to Tablet Mode
*     Fixes an issue where calendar appointments that are marked Tentative or Out of Office would show up as Free in the Taskbar clock and calendar flyout
*     Fixes an issue where slideshows would not work when selecting multiple folders in the Background Settings
*     Fixes an issue where pages would flash when navigating from and back to the Theme settings
*     Fixes an issue on the Bluetooth & other devices settings page where it would show "Systemsettings.Viewmodel.settingentry" at the bottom
*     Fixes an issue that could cause the Netflix app to crash on launch
*     Fixes an issue where the Netflix app would crash when starting a movie on certain hardware types
*     Fixes an issue where DOTA2 would not launch correctly
Known issues

*     The download indicator when downloading a new build is broken
*     Nonstop exceptions in the Spectrum.exe service may occur resulting in audio not working and disk I/O becoming very high
*     Some Google sites will not load due to an implementation of a new security model
*     Microsoft Edge extensions do not work in this build
*     The F12 Developer Tools may crash, hang or fail to accept input
*     "Inspect Element" and "View Source" options don't work correctly in Edge
*     Windows Insiders will see a "Mixed Reality" entry in the Settings app
*     Some captive portal Wi-Fi networks will fail to connect in the OOBE
*     Yes and No commands in the OOBE will fail
*     Quicken will fail to run with an error stating .NET 4.6.1 is not installed
*     Dragging apps from All apps to pin them on the Start screen won't work
*     Some Tencent apps and games may crash or work incorrectly in this build
*     Windows Update might claim that "Some Settings are managed by your organization" despite not being managed
*     Audio could stop working with a "Device in use"-error
*     The Action Center could appear blank and transparent
*     Clicking some elements in desktop games might cause the game to minimize without being able to restore it
*     The Game Mode setting will initially be displayed incorrectly
*     Some games may experience crashes or black screens when loading
*     Broadcasting to Beam from the Game bar will require some Privacy settings to be changed
*     The broadcast live review window in the Game bar may flash green when broadcasting-https://changewindows.org/build/15019/pc
--- End quote ---

All that said, I'm not exactly sure how to see what the current standard release is. According to "winver" I'm on 14393.693 and Windows Update says there are no new updates for me. But that website says the latest "Current" is 14393.726. However, it says the latest "Current" for Mobile is 14393.693, which is the version I'm currently running even though I'm on PC. And I don't have "Defer Updates" enabled in my update settings. :-\

Maybe the discrepancy is a result of Microsoft doing "rolling updates" and I just haven't been selected yet to receive the latest "Current" version.

Curt:
latest version "here" on my laptop in Denmark is Version 1607 build 14393.693

but right now Windows Update MiniTool is offering me 14393.594    :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version