ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (183/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Surprise! A second update this month. The Microsoft article doesn't say anything about fixing the previous Update.

IainB:
Yep. I let the 1st one through and after it had finished, to my great surprise there was a 2nd big one waiting in the queue to hog bandwidth.
Looks like a bad case of OS update constipation.

rgdot:
Before, after updates and so often in between windows modules installer worker keeps eating resources, despite its own shortcomings glad I am spending most of time on linux

Deozaan:
The good news is that Microsoft is working on an update mechanism that will just update directly to the latest version instead of having to download an outdated update before being able to download the most recent one.

MilesAhead:
The good news is that Microsoft is working on an update mechanism that will just update directly to the latest version instead of having to download an outdated update before being able to download the most recent one.
-Deozaan (December 14, 2016, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Device users may be comfortable with the mechanism.  But for Desktop/Laptop machines it is too prone to breaking working systems.  There should be a "service pack only" setting to only update when bunches of fixes have been tested together after applying to a system running the last service pack.  If they want to call them "cumulative updates" that's fine.  But I cannot think of a more band aid approach than patching your OS as every vulnerability is found.  There are just too many side effects in coding to get all that stuff right.  Often it takes awhile for a regression to turn up especially if it causes only intermittent problems.

Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.  As I say, this may be fine for phone or tablet.  But not a great way to service desktop type environments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version