topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684525 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #825 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Oh, I know what to do.  And I'm back in the upgrade mode after reinstalling a clean version of windows 7.  It's just how I was treated.  And I even gave him that out- that he might be under stress because of the million phone calls that I'm sure they're getting.  But he continued along the same path, even after I showed him I knew what I was talking about.  Meh... at this point, it doesn't seem worth it.  But I'm concerned for the unknowing that gets him, and then spend $119 on an upgrade they don't need because they think they're stuck.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #826 on: July 31, 2016, 10:17 PM »
I hate to do anything that might make someone's job more sucky, or them to lose it.

It appears he doesn't like his job, he has already made it "sucky" by his attitude.  If he talks that way to someone who knows what they are on about, I'd hate to see what his attitude is to people who don't.

But I'm concerned for the unknowing that gets him, and then spend $119 on an upgrade they don't need because they think they're stuck.

And that would be the number one reason to go ahead, it is pretty close to obtaining money by deception.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #828 on: August 04, 2016, 03:16 AM »
Linux Users Reporting Windows 10 Anniversary Update Hoses Their Dual Boot Partitions

FWIW, I got the Anniversary Update on my netbook, which also has Linux Mint and Remix OS installed. The update didn't break my dual-dual boot setup.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #829 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52 PM »
That makes it then a triple boot setup  :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #830 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12 PM »
That makes it then a triple boot setup  :P

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. :Thmbsup:

But somehow the grub bootloader only shows Mint and Windows. Then, if I select Windows, I get a Windows bootloader which allows me to choose between Windows and Remix OS.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #831 on: August 06, 2016, 04:48 AM »
But somehow the grub bootloader only shows Mint and Windows. Then, if I select Windows, I get a Windows bootloader which allows me to choose between Windows and Remix OS.

That is exactly how it works on my multi-boot system, too. Grub shows Xubuntu and Windows 10, then if you select Windows 10, you get the Windows bootloader with Windows 10 and the other 2 options that were installed prior to my installing Windows 10 (XP & Win7).

I'd say that in my case, Linux is definitely at an advantage here, giving me more incentive to break away from using Windows, by choosing the fastest loading option. The whole setup makes it a royal pain to want to boot up into anything other than Xubuntu. Takes too long just to select anything else!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #832 on: August 06, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I used to have that problem- it was solved by removing the other options.  If windows senses others installed, it shows you that bootloader menu.  Unfortunately, I forget how I got the others to not show up.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #833 on: August 06, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I used to have that problem- it was solved by removing the other options.  If windows senses others installed, it shows you that bootloader menu.  Unfortunately, I forget how I got the others to not show up.

EasyBCD?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #834 on: August 06, 2016, 01:09 PM »
No, it was something simple that didn't require any sort of software.

I see you can do it by using bcdedit from the commandline, or even easier, you can do it from msconfig.  The way I did it involved editing a file, but I don't remember what it was.

http://www.sevenforu...perating-system.html

UPDATE: I remembered right after I posted this - manually edit the boot.ini file.  I don't think you can do that as easily now.  You have to use bcdedit, or msconfig.

http://best-windows....ie.com/boot-ini.html

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #835 on: August 06, 2016, 01:20 PM »
You can change some of the settings straight from the Windows 10 bootloader by pressing the "change settings & other options" text at the bottom of the screen. I just adjusted it so that it automatically boots after 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds.

Oddly enough, I ran msconfig and it doesn't show any other bootable OSes aside from Windows 10, even though the Windows 10 bootloader always gives me an option.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #836 on: August 06, 2016, 10:48 PM »
msconfig in Win10 will only show you Windows versions, and only ones that don't use a boot.ini file. That means only Vista+. The older versions will still be available and show on the bootloader menu, but I am unsure if it only shows them all as a single entry of "older windows version" and just hands off to the old boot.ini if you select it, and you then get hit with another menu listing each OS listed in the old boot.ini, or if it will list each older windows version from that file individually. And I will probably never know, unless I am willing to wipe the whole thing and start over, installing more old outdated crap than I could possibly ever need.

Ultimately, what I would like to do is add Xubuntu to the Win10 boot loader menu and have that menu be the default.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #837 on: August 08, 2016, 04:40 PM »
20 fixes for a Windows 10 update meltdown.jpgWindows 10 Announced

20 fixes for a Windows 10 update meltdown

I would like to find out if anyone here finds this article to be of any help.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #838 on: August 09, 2016, 03:49 AM »
^^ Thanks. Working through it slowly now...

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #839 on: August 10, 2016, 07:04 AM »
I saw in my Notifications window that there was an Update that wanted to reboot, so because I thought it was the Anniversary Update, I backed up Windows using System Restore, Paragon Backup and Recovery 14 Free and System GoBack Free. Afterwards when I used winver I found out it wasn't v. 1607.

Not the big update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

I checked Update history to find out what kind of Update it was since it wasn't the 600 pound gorilla I expected and found out it was just a v. 1511 Cumulative Update, but there was a button at the bottom offering the Anniversary Update. I was prepared for this, so I took the plunge and clicked the button.
4 hours later, I emerged relatively unscathed(sure Classic Shell didn't work, but after I went to the site and downloaded and installed the latest version(which they said worked with that update) I was back to normal).

The big update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Also I just got the notification that Malwarebytes just updated it's virus signatures so that is still working also. I activated Windows Defender(it said that another program(ESET NOD32) was being used so it would just be scanning periodically), so now I have 3 programs protecting my computer. Stupidity can still emerge triumphant, but I have 3 layers of protection.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:29 AM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #840 on: August 15, 2016, 07:53 PM »
What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10 (Is Windows Defender Good Enough).jpgWindows 10 Announced

What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)

An article that recommends Malwarebytes. Who here doesn't like it?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anti-Virus in Win10 - MSE/Defender and MBAM?
« Reply #841 on: August 15, 2016, 11:04 PM »
What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)
An article that recommends Malwarebytes. Who here doesn't like it?
  • an AV (Anti-Virus) app.
The AV is/was an apparently highly-regarded  commercial Microsoft product previously released under the name of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for $FREE, for domestic and (if I recall correctly) SMBs (Small-to-Medium Businesses).
The engine in MSE is/was used by businesses and banks because it was apparently very good - or so I was told by a network systems engineer in a Kiwi bank. I wrote a review of MSE on the DC forum, starting after MSE was first released for $FREE, and following it up in ad-hoc fashion as the product evolved. It was and continues to be an excellent product, actively developed and supported by Microsoft, and has clearly become an integral part of their Windows OS today.

The McAfee/Norton/Symantec/whatever branded virus tools that come bundled as "FREE" apps with Windows on new OEM PCs seem to be largely targeted at the domestic/single-user market, and typically seem to start nagging for annual subscription payments after the first year, or something. Most consumers likely regard them as useful/necessary, not realising that they are actually redundant at the outset.
I noticed (and I think I have commented elsewhere about this on this forum) that Norton/Symantec aggressively even inhibited the start-up and/or installation of Defender (virus checker) and Malwarebytes in Win8/10, and so had to be expunged with prejudice before one could install/run them cleanly. I consider this cuckoo-like behaviour against competitive products on the customer's own ruddy PC to be a predatory and unethical commercial practice, and I would argue that such AV vendors should be shunned for engaging in such sharp practice.

I have also written a review of MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) on DC forum and followed it up in ad-hoc fashion as the product evolved. For the reasons given in the review thread, MBAM seems to be an excellent product - but that is for the $PAID version.

What I would point out is that:
  • (a) MSE ($FREE in Defender) is a very good AV app (QED) and
  • (b) MBAM ($PAID) as a very good AM (Anti-Malware) app, and
  • (c) that the two things do not perform the same function, though they can at times seem to overlap in functionality - e.g., when it comes to detecting some PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs).

So, what this would seem to indicate is that the Windows OS has an excellent $FREE AV app (or at least, the cost is included in the OS cost) within Defender, and thus making use of other AV apps as an alternative could possibly be a WOT (Waste Of Time) - as they could be inferior, not necessarily any better, and certainly redundant and also would probably be NOT $FREE. So most informed users would probably not need to consider using them, except perhaps as (say) an academic exercise or a suck-it-and-see trial (as I tend to do).

However, MBAM has a lot going for it on its own - as an AM app to augment the defense of the system security, regardless of whichever AV app one uses. MBAM can mitigate risks that might not necessarily be caught/treated by the AV app, and can also be used (by design) to clean up PC's hard drives that have already been infected with a PUP/Hijack/virus or general malware, and it (the $PAID version) also has a very handy and effective real-time monitoring tool of user web-browsing activity. For most users, web-browsing, file downloads and reading of online email could potentially provide the most likely channels for a PC to become infected with a virus or other malware. MBAM can fill an important security gap here, and this could make MBAM valuable - if not essential - for that reason, in these malware-abundant times.
For example, having used MBAM with a vengeance and having experienced some of its capabilities whilst cleaning up other people's malware-infested PCs, I reckon my children's online browsing and game-playing is certainly that much more secure because of MBAM.
The reason why I use MSE and MBAM together is that they complement each other, overlap to a limited extent, and both have a precautionary approach - better-safe-than-sorry. Using them both together, nothing seems to have fallen between the cracks so far, over several years and several PCs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:03 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #842 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Win 10 update 08-23-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft has struck again.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After some procrastination - because I knew it was not going to be straightforward - I bit the bullet and sorted the Toshiba laptop which had been having the endlessly looping Win10 update cycle (approx. 30 minutes, every time).
First, I did a lot of backing-up and then donned a pair of brown trousers - just in case - before going to Use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to Create Installation Media or Upgrade PC and downloaded the MCT onto a USB and then forced the clean install onto said laptop.

Of course, it expunged an awful lot of stuff in addition to the old OS (Win10-64 PRO), especially the Program Files, so I are now in the process of slowly rebuilding/reinstalling a swathe of proggies, not the least of which is MS Office 2016. Good job I keep track of all the necessary licences (well, I hope I have).

28_470x473_A0CFC29B.png

Oh, and by the way, it comes free with its own peculiar bug (seems to be common):
(Which is curious, because I'm not on the Insider Program.)

28_682x329_03F9783D.png

I now have the Win10-64 Home system, and am wondering whether to get the PRO version reinstated on that laptop or swap it to another one. This is apparently possible now if the OS was licenced via one's Outlook account ID.
What an unproductive exercise it has been so far though. I dread having to waste more time on it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:52 PM by IainB, Reason: Title changed to make it easier to find. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #844 on: September 01, 2016, 07:15 PM »
I mentioned above how I did a forced clean install of Win10-64 Basic/Home onto a laptop that had Win10 installed, but could not run the Win10 "Anniversary update".

I later got the PRO version reinstated, but not on that laptop, by inserting the licence key in the appropriate box on the Windows Update section of Settings. It worked just fine. Painless.

By the way, there is an alternative approach to getting ISO downloads for Win7, 8, 8.1, 10 etc. documented here:
Download Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 ISO Images Direct From Microsoft

That really is a superb article. It got me out of a hole today as I needed to install a Win7-32bit Home Premium on a new hard disk for a friend’s laptop whose disk had corrupted horribly and which was unrecoverable. All he had was the Licence Key and no restore disk or anything.
The procedure described in the article worked a treat - though it was a bit technical - and the author had the forethought to provide the SHA1 checksums for the various ISO files downloaded. Microsoft seem to have taken that page down for some reason.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #845 on: September 13, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Win 10 update 09-13-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced    Win 10 Update 09-13-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The latest from Microsoft Rex.  I have both 32-bit and 64-bit Win 10. On the same machine at the same time along with 128-bit Windows.

Update: Both computers now run the same version of Win 10. I guess the 64-bit Win 10 required 2 updates.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:15 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #846 on: September 14, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Gole1 is an Affordable Windows 10 Mini PC with Multi-Touch Display.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Gole1 is an Affordable Windows 10 Mini PC with Multi-Touch Display

Welcome to you're ''DOOM!''.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Welcome to you're ''DOOM!''
It says "Windows 10 Setup" in the upper left corner.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #847 on: September 14, 2016, 03:42 PM »

Who the hell has pockets that big??

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #848 on: September 14, 2016, 05:03 PM »

People who like cargo shorts(like yours truly) and those who wear farmer bib denim overalls.  :)  Oh and Kangaroos.  :)

I wonder if the Kangaroo is the mascot for some OS I never heard of?  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:59 PM by MilesAhead »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #849 on: September 15, 2016, 01:58 PM »

I think the pocket is a back one. They are usually bigger than the front ones, even in female jeans.