topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684597 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #800 on: June 20, 2016, 09:14 AM »
it's tempting to have a dig at MS there. Although my problem is mainly with this very persistent adware on Windows 7 that's trying to get me to update to 10 . . .

I guess it depends on whose crap is being flushed!!

Hmmm, whatever happened to good old vaporware?  It didn't cost anything or take up any storage.  And it never crashed!!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #801 on: June 20, 2016, 09:26 PM »
This afternoon Win 10 got buggy.  Classic Shell didn't supress live tiles, the task bar could only be black, the start menu was flat and you could only have one window open at a time. I was able to get rid of this using System Restore. I hope this wasn't a bad update.

Latest Win 10.jpgWindows 10 Announced

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:19 PM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #802 on: June 21, 2016, 01:42 AM »
Did you accidentally enable Tablet mode? Or accidentally enable full-screen Start Menu? (Or maybe the update changed your setting to a full screen Start?)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #803 on: June 22, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Did you accidentally enable Tablet mode? Or accidentally enable full-screen Start Menu? (Or maybe the update changed your setting to a full screen Start?)

I don't think so. I was browsing normally when suddenly Win 10 changed. I rebooted several times, and got the start menu back but everything else was still so unworkable that I used System Restore. Let me know how to enable tablet mode and I will let you know if I did that. I doubt it though.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #804 on: June 22, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Hah!  Just got an email this morning from Microsoft:

2016-06-23 11_53_41.pngWindows 10 Announced

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #805 on: June 23, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Hah!  Just got an email this morning from Microsoft:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There's nothing like having the latest and greatest!  I am still waiting for my "welcome email" from Slackware 2.0.  :)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #806 on: June 24, 2016, 09:42 PM »
This might have been answered somewhere in the thread, but I'm in a little predicament here...

Made the switch from 7 to 10 and it's just about the best upgrade I've ever done... however over the weekend I accidentally shorted a USB port and now I am getting many BSODs, random ones at that. I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 but have no idea how to get an installer without purchasing Windows 10 outright. I remember reading something about using my old Windows 7 key to get an installer?

I know the deadline for upgrading is coming up soon but I've already made the jump, I'm just not sure if I can obtain an installer after the deadline.
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #807 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14 PM »
Microsoft tweaks activation rules for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Asudem: Until July 29 you can probably just re-install Win 10. I downloaded the installer myself. If you can't reinstall Win 10 the way you did before because of the shorted USB port, it's a hardware problem not a software problem. You have until July 29th to get that fixed and reinstall Win 10.

The Hustle is Real Leading up to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The Hustle is Real Leading up to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:05 PM by Arizona Hot »

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #808 on: June 25, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Asudem: Until July 29 you can probably just re-install Win 10. I downloaded the installer myself. If you can't reinstall Win 10 the way you did before because of the shorted USB port, it's a hardware problem not a software problem. You have until July 29th to get that fixed and reinstall Win 10.

That's my question. How do I download a Wndows installer on a currently operating Windows 10 machine?
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #809 on: June 25, 2016, 05:26 PM »
https://www.microsof...e-download/windows10

The Microsoft page above contains the tool: 'mediacreationtool.exe' and instructions to create a DVD/Pendrive installer for a "fresh" copy of Windows.

You could have damaged more hardware than just the USB port though. This now faulty hardware in your computer could communicate wrong data sending the USB drivers from Windows to the fritz which in turn make the Windows filesystem unstable, resulting in those BSODs.

You could check if that is the case by rebooting your computer and disable USB in the BIOS/UEFI from your computer. If the BSODs dissappear, it is safe to conclude you busted all your onboard USB ports. If you depend on USB devices in your workflow, you could buy an expansion card with USB ports. Those are cheap enough and easy to come by.

Next time make sure there is a device in the connection between your actual port and the project you are working on. This device should break/terminate the connection the moment you make an electrical error. Saves you a lot of headache.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #810 on: June 25, 2016, 05:31 PM »
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10 using a USB or DVD, you can use the media creation tool below to create your own installation media

modified:
-oh, I came in second! Well, the chances of getting the installer have doubled

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #811 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07 PM »
I want to do a clean install of Windows 10

Windows 10 comes with a "Clean Install" option in the settings:

Windows 10 Reset.pngWindows 10 Announced

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:06 PM by Arizona Hot »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #813 on: July 01, 2016, 03:17 AM »
just for your information:

Hurry! Free upgrade offer to Windows 10 ends in 28 days, 22 hours, 41 minutes, 49 seconds . Upgrade today>
-Microsoft

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #814 on: July 01, 2016, 05:33 PM »
This might have been answered somewhere in the thread, but I'm in a little predicament here...

Made the switch from 7 to 10 and it's just about the best upgrade I've ever done... however over the weekend I accidentally shorted a USB port and now I am getting many BSODs, random ones at that. I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 but have no idea how to get an installer without purchasing Windows 10 outright. I remember reading something about using my old Windows 7 key to get an installer?

Just happened to see this floating through and wish you luck.  Inmost systems I have dealt with lately the USB ports are daisy chained.  Shorting one shorted all for a given controller.  Desktops with 2 usb2 and 2 usb 3 I lost bioth usb2 at the same time when one shorted . 
But the worst part is that the 5 Vdc  is a common lead for all USB ports in that area. I had to unplug the cables going to the bad port to get the USB 3 ports to work properly.  I would think it likely the BSOD's could be from an erratic or low voltage issue if you have not completely disconnected the shorted port from the system.  I agree with Shades on that point 100%

Did not read enough to know if this is laptop or desktop?  But I can tell you that there are other ways to install Win10 even if you have no USB and no CD/DVD etc.  Do you have an SD Chip slot?

Anyway, depending on how long you have had 10 installed, MS may have already recorded the licensing.  I have been successful in loading  Win10 from an ESD image with no license at all.  As soon as it connected to the web, it authenticated itself with MS servers.
I usually do not even leave the original UEFI bios intact opting for the Legacy instead but taking that route is different for every system.  Something not advised unless you are into playing with places best not messed with.

If you haven't already figured it out, give me a shout and I may be able to help.   I had to convert close to 80 old windows 7/windows 8/window 8.1 laptops and desktops here at the office when 10 first came out.  Some of them I would have bet money would never run on Win10 at all but they all did :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #815 on: July 15, 2016, 05:54 PM »
​How to run the native Ubuntu desktop on Windows 10.jpgWindows 10 Announced

​How to run the native Ubuntu desktop on Windows 10

This presumes you already have Win 10 installed. How many here are going to install it before July 29 and when?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #816 on: July 19, 2016, 11:42 AM »
It rather looks like my luck has run out with Windows 10-64 PRO.
So far the Windows Update log shows 5 occurrences of Failed to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985) on these dates:
  • 2016-07-14
  • 2016-07-15
  • 2016-07-15
  • 2016-07-16
  • 2016-07-18

This event is no small matter. Once the update has been downloaded, each event has exactly the same pattern:
  • It takes about 10 minutes to shutdown and install the changes,
  • It then takes about 10 minutes to back out the changes when it finds that the update has not been successful.
  • It then takes about 10 minutes to restart the system and restore the old settings.

In a human, to keep trying to solve the same problem with the same unsuccessful solution is reckoned to be a sign of madness.
In computers, this sort of thing is sometimes referred to as "a bad loop" (a program error).
As I write this, a fresh attempt at the same update has been scheduled by the system for 0530hrs. The cumulative time spent in this failed update loop so far is 5 x 30mins = 2.5hrs.

There would have been more failed update attempts, but I have avoided the system being shut down - if it is shut down or restarted, then the failed update will be moronically attempted yet again, taking 30 minutes each tome to run its course.
I am unspeakably annoyed by this.

Nice one Microsoft.

I have posted a comment about this problem on the MS page for: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985), but am not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:50 AM by IainB »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #817 on: July 25, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I just upgraded my second computer to Win 10. I didn't want to wait until the last day to do it. I downloaded the setup program to a thumb drive get started, (but did need the internet after that(not sure)). Everything seems to be there and working and although it took several hours, the upgrade was boringly crisis-free. My screensaver now starts automatically again.

Clipboard01.jpgWindows 10 Announced

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:46 PM by Arizona Hot »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #818 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03 PM »
Current "up-to-date" status:

2016-07-26 10_53_30.pngWindows 10 Announced

Re-enable all the Spyware Telemetry and update:

2016-07-26 12_12_29.pngWindows 10 Announced

Then disable all the Telemetry again.

It rather looks like my luck has run out with Windows 10-64 PRO.
So far the Windows Update log shows 5 occurrences of Failed to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985) on these dates:

If you have any of the "we want to know everything you do" crap turned off, it might pay to turn it all on again and try to update - after all, my system was "apparently" up-to-date until I turned it all on again, (and that was one of the updates it installed).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #819 on: July 26, 2016, 08:28 AM »
@4wd: Trouble is, I kept no record of what I might have turned OFF!    :-[
The problem of this latest cumulative update simply not working seems to be very common. Huge long discussion threads, and not a fix in sight, and with MS "engineers" noticeably absent and only able to offer feeble/dud suggestions when they do materialise.
They evidently don't know what the general cause(s) is(are), otherwise they would issue a generic fix.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:26 AM by IainB, Reason: Typo correction. »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #820 on: July 26, 2016, 06:40 PM »
@4wd: Trouble is, I kept no record of what I might have turned OFF!

I ran Shutup10, saved the current configuration, reset to default, updated Windows, ran Shutup10, then reloaded the configuration I saved.

Only other thing I'd done was to tweak the Update settings in Group Policy editor.

Unless you've done a lot of manual registry editing, policy editing, etc, that should cover almost all of it since most of the Win10 anti-telemetry tools do similar things, except the ones that actually remove files.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #821 on: July 27, 2016, 11:25 AM »
@4wd: Thanks, Looks like a good suggestion. I shall download and try via https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
I could be wrong, of course, but, as far as I recall, I haven't made any manual registry edits and/or policy edits that should/would affect telemetry settings.
I'll report back on the outcome anyway. I dread the thought of triggering another 30-minute failed update. ...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #822 on: July 28, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Sadlement, it was another WWW (World-Wide Wait) - another failed update.    :(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #823 on: July 29, 2016, 06:38 PM »
So, I decided to see how the upgrade process would go for windows 10.  I was thinking about doing all 3 that I have that have windows 7.  At this point, I'm not sure.

I tackled my most thorny problem first.  I cycle through computers, so I have my main computer, and then the older one that I had before that.  That one (because I wasn't sure about 64-bit for windows at the time for gaming) is a 32-bit license I got from Microsoft at a developer conference.  I knew I'd do a clean install on that one, because I wanted 64-bit.  Everything went fine- until the registration of the key.  I have an extra Windows 7 Home Premium that I've not used- I bought it for Parallels on my Mac, but as I got rid of that, I never used it.  I entered the key... and lo and behold, it wouldn't work.  I looked around, and thought that I was going to have to install Win 7 and then upgrade.  Bleh.  I also saw hints that there was a way around that currently.  So I called upgrade support, and they were supposed to call me back in 30 mins.  It took longer, but that's to be expected.  But that's when it really went downhill.

I got this singularly non-helpful rep- Vijay.  He said- nothing for it, you have to buy a Windows 10 key.  I said, what?  I was just calling to see if there was a way around installing windows 7.  Some kind of activation he could do for me, as that's what a lot of the sources mentioned.  He said do you know the difference between an upgrade and a clean install.  I said, sure, taken aback a bit.  He said then, Why do you call and ask me these questions, then?  Why do you waste my time?  I paused a second, then asked to speak to a manager.  He said, I don't have a manager.  There aren't any managers.  I asked him for his rep id, knowing that they have them.  He said, there's no such thing.  I then said, you do realize that (a) this call is being recorded, (b) you're being very rude, and (c) even if you don't give me your number, I can call back, and have this incident traced, especially since it's recorded what number was called since this was a callback.

There was silence on the other end.

I said, can we agree that your tone was less than helpful?  He said that may be the case, but there is nothing to be done.  I said, why did you lie to me?  And tell me that I had to purchase a windows 10 key, and there was no way around that?  He said today is the last day, and you'd have to download... I interrupted him and said, I know exactly when it ends.  And I'm wasting time on the phone with you.  I know what to do.  It's your choice now whether to apologize for your behavior, and we can call this done.  Or, I can escalate after I hang up.  He made an excuse... and I hung up.

So I'm reinstalling Windows 7.  My question while I cool down... is this worthy of pursuing? Or just a waste of my time to call Microsoft and try to get some resolution over his behavior?  I know this is just opinions- but I think it's good to get alternate opinions.  I hate to do anything that might make someone's job more sucky, or them to lose it.

Thoughts?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #824 on: July 29, 2016, 07:39 PM »
It took me 2 hrs to sort out my problem with MS over the phone. So be prepared for that and make a judgement whether that's worth your time.

Considering that this is crunch time, it might be the luck of the draw as to what kind of support person you get at the other end. I was passed onto one that was a good one. The only problem was that the phone line quality was terrible, I could barely hear him, so he had to repeat everything three times, until he finally figured he needed to remote into my machine in order to communicate with me...

Good luck!

P.S. Oh, yeah, you could try the chat support I linked to, as a way to avoid the phone call.