topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684582 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #775 on: April 25, 2016, 11:20 AM »
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update's best new features.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update's best new features

Are people here going to wish Win 10 a happy birthday?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #776 on: April 28, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Even weather forecasts aren’t safe from Windows 10 upgrade prompts | The Verge

Upgrade to Windows 10. You will upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade to Windows 10 now. Upgrade to Windows 10 during a live TV broadcast. Upgrade to Windows 10. Just upgrade. Now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #777 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58 AM »

Upgrade to Windows 10. You will upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade to Windows 10 now. Upgrade to Windows 10 during a live TV broadcast. Upgrade to Windows 10. Just upgrade. Now.

I can see an astronaut on the moon.  One of his cylinders is empty.  He needs to switch to the full air tank.  He swipes his touch screen.  Up pops the message that he must now upgrade to Windows 10.  He is holding his breath.  After a few minutes the screen displays the message "Windows was not upgraded to version 10.  Rolling back."

He turns blue waiting for the reboot.  :)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #778 on: May 06, 2016, 07:04 AM »

I can see an astronaut on the moon.  One of his cylinders is empty.  He needs to switch to the full air tank.  He swipes his touch screen.  Up pops the message that he must now upgrade to Windows 10.  He is holding his breath.  After a few minutes the screen displays the message "Windows was not upgraded to version 10.  Rolling back."

He turns blue waiting for the reboot.  :)
How about; then he wakes up, having dozed off in the simulator, and realizes it was all a dream; then he stares at his screen and realizes, it's just started to happen, for real. Then we get a look at his face, and it's Tom Hanks (or ??? -your fav actor-).

Seriously, I really did just wake up from a dream -for real- in which the 'dreaded Windows 10 updater' had just started to flash on Desktop, and I said to myself (in the dream), "But--I have Windows XP!" Then I woke up, and realized, I really do have Win XP (which is supposed to be immune/exempt from this).

That got me to thinking about it. I'm no programmer, but what if someone wrote a DC snack that created dummy files all with the names of the updates Win 10 updater looks for; then it sees the dummy files all neatly in place, and takes no further action? I suppose it would depend on two basic factors; how sophisticated is the updater, and how realistic would the dummy files have to be?

I kid you not; I really did dream what I said, and was I ever happy to wake up to my real world Win XP.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #779 on: May 06, 2016, 08:48 AM »
How about; then he wakes up, having dozed off in the simulator, and realizes it was all a dream; then he stares at his screen and realizes, it's just started to happen, for real. Then we get a look at his face, and it's Tom Hanks (or ??? -your fav actor-).

Or we find out that MS has created a world wide conspiracy to fool us into thinking that Windows 10 exists and is on more PCs than Windows 7.  That is why all these updates fail.  There really is no Windows 10 to put on!  The "Updates" that succeed just stick some theme changes on derived from Windows 8.  The other 2 GB of stuff it downloads is just to convince people there is something there.  But it is just ballast.

We won't really have Windows 10 until we really get to the moon.  Green screen simulations don't count.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:59 AM by MilesAhead, Reason: better smiley »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #780 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Microsoft denies forcing Windows 10 upgrades by killing the reschedule option.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft denies forcing Windows 10 upgrades by killing the reschedule option

How to escape that forced Windows 10 upgrade you mistakenly agreed to.jpgWindows 10 Announced

How to escape that forced Windows 10 upgrade you mistakenly agreed to

Deja vu !?   Windows 10 update uproar again.    Ve have vays of making you update to Windows 10! At this rate MS soon will have the same reputation as politicians.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:27 PM by Arizona Hot »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #781 on: June 14, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Another Windows 10 anti-spy program: Destroy Windows Spying

Source code is available for download for those who wish to inspect and compile from scratch.

2.pngWindows 10 Announced

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #782 on: June 15, 2016, 07:55 AM »
An anti spying program with source code from WZor ... Now that is interesting.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #783 on: June 15, 2016, 09:25 AM »

Why is that so interesting?  Just curious.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #784 on: June 15, 2016, 11:11 AM »

Why is that so interesting?  Just curious.

Because they're one of the more reputable groups (quality product...) on the darker side, so they are trust worthy and they have the impetus to be through in their analysis and handling of getting the OS hushed up properly. And with the source code provided there is also great learning opportunity about what all needs to be done.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Thanks!  Puts it into perspective.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #786 on: June 15, 2016, 01:07 PM »
Because they're one of the more reputable groups (quality product...) on the darker side
Who are they? Never heard of them before.
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #787 on: June 15, 2016, 05:00 PM »
For me, Windows 10 has by far been the operating system that has been the easiest to have. The easiest to install and the easiest to use - the easiest to "live with". I also think it has been easier for both my laptop and for my PC to run Windows 10, rather than Windows 7 (I have never tried Win 8.).

I recommend http://www.getblackbird.net/ or similar. I have not tested WZor DWS http://dws.wzor.net/ .

Blackbird removes W10 Upgrade Popups.Block Win10 upgrade (GWX) messages on Windows 7/8
Blackbird will remove downloaded Win10 pre-install files/folders.Prevent your PC from auto-installing Windows 10 while you're not looking.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:21 PM by Curt, Reason: table »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #788 on: June 16, 2016, 06:41 AM »
Because they're one of the more reputable groups (quality product...) on the darker side
Who are they? Never heard of them before.

I never dealt with them directly, but they've been online for over a decade. And back when, if you needed an "Extended Demo" of something they were guaranteed to have a quality, fast downloading, EvilWare free copy of it. I never got a burnt cornflake from them once...and I used to "trial" a lot of software back when ... To further my (self) education.. :D

They always had a very short list of 6-10 items ephemerally available, but it was always top shelf best-of-the-best kind of stuff.

As of late (last few years) I think they've basically gone legit...or at least are sticking to the upper end of the gray area.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #789 on: June 16, 2016, 10:19 AM »
burnt cornflake

;D  Is that your term?  Or an actual term?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #790 on: June 16, 2016, 11:23 AM »
burnt cornflake

It's from the old expression: I feel like the one burnt cornflake on the bottom of the cereal box of life.

So it's me euphemistically trying to imply something without actually saying it. What's that Irish phrase they're currently in hot water for at the UN - Surely you know for yourself! - It's kinda like that. :D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #791 on: June 16, 2016, 11:56 AM »
burnt cornflake

It's from the old expression: I feel like the one burnt cornflake on the bottom of the cereal box of life.

So it's me euphemistically trying to imply something without actually saying it. What's that Irish phrase they're currently in hot water for at the UN - Surely you know for yourself! - It's kinda like that. :D

I got it just from context.  It just seemed cool :)  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #792 on: June 16, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I got it just from context.  It just seemed cool

I tried looking it up in the Urban Dictionary. There are some alternative definitions there that may generate a laugh or two.  One in particular I don't even want to paraphrase here.  Let's just say I laughed out loud even though I am sitting in a library(shhhh!)  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #793 on: June 16, 2016, 01:23 PM »

I tried looking it up in the Urban Dictionary. There are some alternative definitions there that may generate a laugh or two.  One in particular I don't even want to paraphrase here.  Let's just say I laughed out loud even though I am sitting in a library(shhhh!)  :)

I'm personally afraid of the urban dictionary after a few encounters.  Things I never wanted to know, and hope were jokes.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #794 on: June 16, 2016, 01:53 PM »
'm personally afraid of the urban dictionary after a few encounters.  Things I never wanted to know, and hope were jokes.

I don't know if this definition was a joke.  But it was bizarre enough to make me laugh.  While I was there I also found out a "corn flake" is a synonym for cracka' or redneck.  I wonder what it means if they call you a corn check?  A Central European Cracka' maybe?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:01 PM by MilesAhead »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #795 on: June 16, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I've heard that as a nickname before.  Or maybe it wasn't a nickname, but slang?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2016, 05:12 PM »

I'm personally afraid of the urban dictionary after a few encounters.  Things I never wanted to know, and hope were jokes.

Amen to that!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #797 on: June 17, 2016, 12:19 AM »
Clipboard01.jpgWindows 10 Announced

The latest Win 10 update. I was wondering if there was going to be one before the Anniversary version.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #798 on: June 18, 2016, 11:22 AM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #799 on: June 18, 2016, 05:14 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microsoft wages war on 'crapware' with new Windows 10 tool

;D
it's tempting to have a dig at MS there. Although my problem is mainly with this very persistent adware on Windows 7 that's trying to get me to update to 10 . . .
Tom