ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (153/253) > >>

dr_andus:
Lenovo demands Microsoft extend Skylake Windows 7 support | Network World

As part of its Windows 10 push, Microsoft declared it will end support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on Skylake processors, on July 17, 2017, three years before the official end of support for Windows 7. This ruffled a few feathers when it was first announced, and now it's drawn the ire of Microsoft's biggest OEM.

(...)

I have to suspect that HP and Dell are also facing the same issue. Now that it's in the open, Microsoft might find it harder to resist, especially if the three OEMs link arms and stand together on this.

There is no reason for Microsoft to end the support early other than to drive Windows 10 adoption. And while enterprises have a high rate of interest in Windows 10, there are still many that are not ready to move for whatever reason, and their hand should not be forced.
--- End quote ---

xtabber:
Microsoft seems to have caved in to the OEMs on this one. As Ars Technica reported today:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this has resulted in some pushback from enterprises, and Microsoft has shifted its policy in response. The window for compatibility, reliability, and security fixes has been extended by a year to July 17, 2018. The limitations on security fixes have also been removed; now all security fixes will be made available—until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 and January 10, 2023 for Windows 8.1.

Arizona Hot:
Microsoft seems to have caved in to the OEMs on this one.
-xtabber (March 18, 2016, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

But will Microsoft turn evil in response and create a black lab for Windows 7 & 8 malware? Who would be in a better position to create an insecurity update to make your OS neurotic?  ;)

Samsung Overly Attached Computer - YouTube

Arizona Hot:
Does anyone here think the new File Explorer is an improvement on Windows Explorer? I had to reboot the computer to get the navigation pane to show the file tree when I first used it.

IainB:
I was trying to figure out how we could get back the Briefcase functionality in Win10.
There are discussions and Registry hack solutions for Win7 and Win8, but not proven for Win10 - for example:

* How To Restore The Missing Briefcase Feature In Windows 8 RTM
* Add Windows Briefcase in Windows 10 technical previewInterestingly, as someone comments in the latter item:
"...how Microsoft makes up words,  or changes the meaning of words to mean something completely different than common usage.   Instead of saying we (Microsoft) got rid of briefcase because we want to force users to use the cloud and eventually pay for storage, we deprecated (sounds nicer though) it."

--- End quote ---
Has anyone in the DC Forum succeeded in getting the Briefcase functionality back in Win10?    :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version