ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (144/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
Any tips for upgrading to Windows 10 now?
=> upgrading from 8.1, I'm going try keeping programmes unless advised otherwise.
I've installed all security updates for 8.1 (other updates *not* installed)

TIA  :up:
-tomos (January 06, 2016, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I never installed it on the metal.  Just in a few VMs and not lately.  There is a friendly bunch who have messed with it extensively on this forum who may have some good advice to share.

4wd:
Any tips for upgrading to Windows 10 now?
=> upgrading from 8.1, I'm going try keeping programmes unless advised otherwise.-tomos (January 06, 2016, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Image your drive beforehand :)

I bit the bullet and told it to 'Download Now, Upgrade Later' ... in my case, Microsoft's definition of 'later' was a bit different from mine.  The download started immediately and when it was finished it said it wanted to restart to perform the upgrade ... WTF!?

So I imaged it before I restarted, not the optimum solution.

Anyway, the upgrade was fine - all installed programs worked after upgrade, (eg. DaemonTools, DOpus, Sony Vegas, Malwarebytes AM, VPN software, etc), even ClassicStart.  I don't have an AV installed apart from Microsoft's.

The only things that screwed up were file associations, it now wanted to use Edge instead of PaleMoon, Reader instead of PDF-Xchange, and a couple of others.

It also had to download a newer video driver but that was all on the hardware side of things.

tomos:
^ thanks guys :up:

dr_andus:
I bit the bullet and told it to 'Download Now, Upgrade Later' ... in my case, Microsoft's definition of 'later' was a bit different from mine.  The download started immediately and when it was finished it said it wanted to restart to perform the upgrade ... WTF!?
-4wd (January 06, 2016, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? Is that how it works? Is there no backing out at that stage?

MilesAhead:
-4wd (January 06, 2016, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? Is that how it works? Is there no backing out at that stage?
-dr_andus (January 06, 2016, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since my System Restore does not work anyway, I have Windows Update set to Never.  For those who wish to leave the service running I think there are utilities to turn off the aggressive W10 forced updates.  You might check Softpedia and some of the other download sites.  In the Softpedia Windows Desktop News page I keep seeing mention of their release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version