topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684586 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #700 on: December 21, 2015, 07:55 PM »
With no pending updates, wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference between Home & Pro.

I'm on Pro and have the latest version.

Did you defer updates?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #701 on: December 21, 2015, 08:59 PM »
With no pending updates, wouldn't have thought there'd be that much difference between Home & Pro.

I'm on Pro and have the latest version.

Did you defer updates?

On the desktop x64 they are but I've just upgraded the netbook x86 (it doesn't have deferred updates) and it's now sitting at 10586.14 with no pending updates, same as the desktop.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #702 on: December 22, 2015, 12:09 AM »
I have a netbook with Win10 Pro x86 on it ... and it's stuck at v10.0 Build 10240 with no pending updates.  Think I'll have to reinstall that.

On the desktop x64 they are but I've just upgraded the netbook x86 (it doesn't have deferred updates) and it's now sitting at 10586.14 with no pending updates, same as the desktop.

This reminded me to check my netbook. It is still on Build 10240, but Windows update says it has an update available for 1511 10586. It's currently downloading. I'll find out what version number it ends up at when it's done and report back.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #703 on: December 22, 2015, 03:07 AM »
This reminded me to check my netbook. It is still on Build 10240, but Windows update says it has an update available for 1511 10586. It's currently downloading. I'll find out what version number it ends up at when it's done and report back.

I upgraded it using the 10586.0 ISO and then let it update.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #704 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Microsoft really needs to stop trying to be "cute".

I opened my laptop this morning to the messages:

• "Hi."
  • "We've Updated your computer"
  • "All your files are right where you've left them"
  • "We have some new features we are excited about" (something like that)

The bad thing?  "Hi" didn't stick around for long.  Neither did the second line.  After I looked up, I saw the third line.  And it stayed there, unresponsive for over 5 minutes!  Thankfully, I knew that I'd told it it could install, so it didn't freak me out too much.  But some people are going bonkers when that comes up, and doesn't give any other information.

Thankfully, I changed it so that it has to ask me in order to restart my computer for installs.  I was notified that it needed to restart, and scheduled it for 3:30 AM.  That sort of straddles the line between leaving it on, and giving them full carte blanche.

That message *did* scare me, however. 

Again, Microsoft needs to stop trying be "cute", and err on the side of being clear.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #705 on: December 22, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Oh, and I didn't see anything about what the fall update entails, so I figured I'd post this:
https://www.thurrott...ndows-10-fall-update

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #706 on: December 22, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Microsoft really needs to stop trying to be "cute".

I opened my laptop this morning to the messages:

• "Hi."
  • "We've Updated your computer"
  • "All your files are right where you've left them"
  • "We have some new features we are excited about" (something like that)

The bad thing?  "Hi" didn't stick around for long.  Neither did the second line.  After I looked up, I saw the third line.  And it stayed there, unresponsive for over 5 minutes!  Thankfully, I knew that I'd told it it could install, so it didn't freak me out too much.  But some people are going bonkers when that comes up, and doesn't give any other information.

Thankfully, I changed it so that it has to ask me in order to restart my computer for installs.  I was notified that it needed to restart, and scheduled it for 3:30 AM.  That sort of straddles the line between leaving it on, and giving them full carte blanche.

That message *did* scare me, however. 

Again, Microsoft needs to stop trying be "cute", and err on the side of being clear.

I read a rant on Facebook where someone said he saw those messages and thought his computer was infected by ransomware. e.g., he was expecting something along the lines of "Your files are where you've left them... but you'll have to pay $XXX to get them back!"

I thought he was just trolling for the sake of Microsoft-bashing, since from the very beginning of Windows 10 (and probably Windows 8) Microsoft has been using similar messages during installs/updates. But after reading your experience, I'm starting to feel it's more plausible that he was being sincere (albeit exaggerating somewhat due to frustration).

If you don't like the cuteness, watch out for the new BSOD screen. It shows a sadface emoticon! :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #707 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05 PM »
^Yeah, there's a thread on reddit about it too, and some people drew the same conclusions about ransomware.  If you're automatically updating something, err on the side of communicating what you did.  A simple expedient of making the prior messages scroll to the bottom, or at least stay on the screen would be clearer.  Especially if you're still doing stuff.

I actually like the BSOD screen- it gives more user usable info than before.  That's the way I want them to go...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #708 on: December 22, 2015, 01:48 PM »

I upgraded it using the 10586.0 ISO and then let it update.

I just finished the update from Windows Update and it's at 1511 10586.36. So now both my Win 10 Pro x64 desktop PC and my Win 10 Pro x86 netbook are at the same version.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:00 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #709 on: December 22, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I'm at 1511 10586.29 - Windows Home 64 bit.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #710 on: December 23, 2015, 12:12 AM »
Just upgraded a Win7HP x86 system to Win10 x86 using 10586.0 ISO then let it update and it shows v1511 b10586.36 - so go figure  :-\

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #711 on: January 05, 2016, 12:52 PM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #712 on: January 05, 2016, 03:52 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microsoft Windows 10 active on 200M devices

I wonder how many of the 200 M devices have owners trying to figure out
Just upgraded a Win7HP x86 system to Win10 x86 using 10586.0 ISO then let it update and it shows v1511 b10586.36 - so go figure  :-\

What happened to the "one size fits all" scheme?  It seems every day on Softpedia the Windows 10 news is about some new specialized release.  Or maybe I was behind the door when they abandoned it officially?  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #713 on: January 05, 2016, 10:47 PM »
What happened to the "one size fits all" scheme?  It seems every day on Softpedia the Windows 10 news is about some new specialized release.  Or maybe I was behind the door when they abandoned it officially?  :)

It may just be a symptom of the "rolling releases" thing, where the latest version doesn't immediately release to every person/computer/device. :-\

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #714 on: January 06, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Any tips for upgrading to Windows 10 now?
=> upgrading from 8.1, I'm going try keeping programmes unless advised otherwise.
I've installed all security updates for 8.1 (other updates *not* installed)

TIA  :up:
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #715 on: January 06, 2016, 05:58 PM »
=> upgrading from 8.1, I'm going try keeping programmes unless advised otherwise.
I've installed all security updates for 8.1 (other updates *not* installed)

TIA  :up:

I never installed it on the metal.  Just in a few VMs and not lately.  There is a friendly bunch who have messed with it extensively on this forum who may have some good advice to share.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #716 on: January 06, 2016, 06:09 PM »

Image your drive beforehand :)

I bit the bullet and told it to 'Download Now, Upgrade Later' ... in my case, Microsoft's definition of 'later' was a bit different from mine.  The download started immediately and when it was finished it said it wanted to restart to perform the upgrade ... WTF!?

So I imaged it before I restarted, not the optimum solution.

Anyway, the upgrade was fine - all installed programs worked after upgrade, (eg. DaemonTools, DOpus, Sony Vegas, Malwarebytes AM, VPN software, etc), even ClassicStart.  I don't have an AV installed apart from Microsoft's.

The only things that screwed up were file associations, it now wanted to use Edge instead of PaleMoon, Reader instead of PDF-Xchange, and a couple of others.

It also had to download a newer video driver but that was all on the hardware side of things.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #717 on: January 06, 2016, 06:27 PM »
^ thanks guys :up:
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #718 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50 PM »
I bit the bullet and told it to 'Download Now, Upgrade Later' ... in my case, Microsoft's definition of 'later' was a bit different from mine.  The download started immediately and when it was finished it said it wanted to restart to perform the upgrade ... WTF!?

Really? Is that how it works? Is there no backing out at that stage?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #719 on: January 06, 2016, 07:10 PM »

Since my System Restore does not work anyway, I have Windows Update set to Never.  For those who wish to leave the service running I think there are utilities to turn off the aggressive W10 forced updates.  You might check Softpedia and some of the other download sites.  In the Softpedia Windows Desktop News page I keep seeing mention of their release.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #720 on: January 06, 2016, 10:44 PM »

No, it just happened to be what that machine did.  I've got two others that i chose the same thing on and they haven't decided to upgrade whether I like it or not.

I made damn sure I chose the right option to start with since I wasn't ready to do it right at that moment.

I just happened to find Murphy waiting around the corner  :-\

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #721 on: January 07, 2016, 02:56 AM »
Yes: Check with the manufacturer of the computer if an upgrade to Windows 10 is supported.
In hindsight I found out why my upgrade adventures failed for my Lenovo Y580 laptop: Lenovo states that it is not possible to upgrade that specific model (and a few others) to Windows 10. At least not without doing a full re-install, after either removing the 32 GB mSata SSD 'disk-enhancer' add-on for the 1 TB HDD (based on specific Intel mainboard technology) or replacing the disk-combo with something else (I replaced it with a ~500 GB SSD).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2016, 03:06 AM »

I'd recommend disconnecting your device from the internet once you've downloaded the update. In my experience, it takes forever "Checking for Updates" multiple times throughout the upgrade process when you're connected. I also had problems with failed upgrades which magically resolved themselves when I disconnected the internet connection during my upgrade attempt.

I don't know if that's necessary or if it does any good. All I know is that it helped me get past failed upgrades on two machines. YMMV.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #723 on: January 07, 2016, 04:43 AM »
Yes: Check with the manufacturer of the computer if an upgrade to Windows 10 is supported.
In hindsight I found out why my upgrade adventures failed for my Lenovo Y580 laptop: Lenovo states that it is not possible to upgrade that specific model (and a few others) to Windows 10.

thanks Ath,
that knocks the idea on the head -- it's a Lenovo (n581) that is included in that list as not recommended. It doesnt clearly state why (that I could see), so I probably wont bother following up on it.
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #724 on: January 07, 2016, 06:26 AM »
I'd recommend disconnecting your device from the internet once you've downloaded the update. In my experience, it takes forever "Checking for Updates" multiple times throughout the upgrade process when you're connected. I also had problems with failed upgrades which magically resolved themselves when I disconnected the internet connection during my upgrade attempt.

+10 - I've run into that one myself enough times to make it a policy.