ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (113/253) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I might be crossing threads, but this looks like "they let the spokesman out of the cage" about a year late.

"Is this going to be the norm from now on? If the August [cumulative] update breaks something, will there be a broken chain from there?" asked Goettl, afraid that if one of those updates crippled, say, a specific application used by a business and Microsoft was not able to fix the problem, the customer would be stuck not only with a busted app but also out of the future patch loop because patches will only download and install on an up-to-date system."

We've been hollering about this for a year ... nice to know it finally hit "media". And "a specific app used by a business: .. could be anything. No clear mention of "what are first or second or third line apps". So for ex my MyInfo notes program could be "used by a business" ...

And I seem to recall "broken chains" with some kind in Win 8 / Win 8.1 mess!

Bleh!

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Torrent trackers freak out over perceived Windows 10 anti-piracy measures  PCWorld

Deozaan:
I might be crossing threads, but this looks like "they let the spokesman out of the cage" about a year late.

"Is this going to be the norm from now on? If the August [cumulative] update breaks something, will there be a broken chain from there?"-TaoPhoenix (August 23, 2015, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

In theory, you should be able to do a system restore if an update breaks your system. But that assumes you can get booted back into your system long enough to perform the restore.

Stoic Joker:
Torrent trackers freak out over perceived Windows 10 anti-piracy measures  PCWorld-Arizona Hot (August 24, 2015, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, comments on that article lead to this one which I found to be quite a condescending attempt to justify the behavior while misdirecting the actual issue. The problem isn't that there are, or are not, reasons for the data being collected for sharing amongst ones devices. The problem is that the data collected is kept in a shareable state for usage by MS and their "partners". This to me is akin to why DropBox's reputation when to shit overnight when it was exposed that all of the information stored there was master keyed to allow the DB staff to access it at will...instead of being properly encrypted on a 1-to-1 basis, so you the individual were the only one with the key and therefore access to your data.

Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

^That^ is the real problem. My information is no longer just my information because it is at all points being mined for behavioral traits that some entity may wish to exploit.

wraith808:
Anandtech Reviews Windows 10

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9543/the-windows-10-review

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version