ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (96/253) > >>

Curt:
What happens when you type AppData in?  You should still have a data folder unless you are Guest.-MilesAhead (July 29, 2015, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I only get the Windows.old's AppData.

But now I have found my AppData; it was just hidden - and at first I couldn't figure out where to 'unhide' it (because I come from Win 7, I am not used to "Ribbon"). Now I have it visible but 'dimmed'. I  still need to be the boss of my computer.

Stoic Joker:
I finally got Windows 10 to install...-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect you may right about the symlinks causing the issue, as I had a few in my main workstation's configuration also and the upgrade handled them very badly. They still work...just not quite as intended. So it's making a real mess out of my OneDrive, which was linked to appear as being part of the Documents folder hierarchy.

4wd:
Apparently they're still checking to see if it'll work on one of my computers, (even though it's already running 8.1 which has the same requirements).

And I really doubt it's going to install on the other, (my old netbook), but I think I'll force the issue somewhat by grabbing the ISO  8)

Just clicked on the SysTray icon on the netbook, (that wouldn't install the previews), and it tells me that "This PC is compatible."

Time for some fun and games.

MilesAhead:
What happens when you type AppData in?  You should still have a data folder unless you are Guest.-MilesAhead (July 29, 2015, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I only get the Windows.old's AppData.

But now I have found my AppData; it was just hidden - and at first I couldn't figure out where to 'unhide' it (because I come from Win 7, I am not used to "Ribbon"). Now I have it visible but 'dimmed'. I  still need to be the boss of my computer.

-Curt (July 29, 2015, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hate a ribbon.  To me having one thing on a menu bar that pops up the rest of the menus is about as useful as a browser with only BookMarks Toolbar folder on the bookmarks toolbar.  When you click it you have to navigate down.  It's really lame.  Instead of the ribbon they should have a "context menu" but with a horizontal menu that pops up above the mouse.  That way if you have to do an extra click at least you save the space by avoiding a toolbar just to have one ribbon button.

TaoPhoenix:
Apparently they're still checking to see if it'll work on one of my computers, (even though it's already running 8.1 which has the same requirements).
 (see attachment in previous post)
And I really doubt it's going to install on the other, (my old netbook), but I think I'll force the issue somewhat by grabbing the ISO  8)

Just clicked on the SysTray icon on the netbook, (that wouldn't install the previews), and it tells me that "This PC is compatible."

Time for some fun and games.
-4wd (July 29, 2015, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

And please tell us!

This really seems to be entering a period when we can't "trust tech to just be tech" without agendas! Very vaguely it's reminding me to look hard at why my printer is chewing up color cartridges printing on grayscale settings ...

MS has a double edged marketing strategy that tries to make a mood of "This is Now!". Except half the time they later backtrack and go all "nah that was so three years ago".

MS did it to me again. This was supposed to be the end of my master plan from 2006, to wait out MS. Past Win 7, past Win 8.x's UI mess ... and into this. But now we're still a little early into their blinding marketing for me to decide anything coherent.

:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version