ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (77/253) > >>

rgdot:
When the insider program has the message that it's over (close to launch...), does this mean installing the last build on a pc for first time won't work or?
-rgdot (July 15, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is my understanding you need to either have W10 on already, so you can get the latest via update, or download the iso images from the net someplace.  I don't think MS has yet released iso for 10240 build.

If you can find an iso for 10166 with license key and put it on you will likely get the update for 10240.  The other guys at www.tenforums.com would know more than I.

-MilesAhead (July 15, 2015, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Will try it and see, thanks

Stoic Joker:
Damn if I can remember where I read it, but I got the impression that the Insider Program was not per se ending. Supposedly due to the - new and ominous - subscription based nature of Windows the brave few idiots were going to be able to test the new update wave(s) as they came about for the rest of the folks what use Winders..

MilesAhead:
Damn if I can remember where I read it, but I got the impression that the Insider Program was not per se ending. Supposedly due to the - new and ominous - subscription based nature of Windows the brave few idiots were going to be able to test the new update wave(s) as they came about for the rest of the folks what use Winders..
-Stoic Joker (July 16, 2015, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I remember something to that effect myself.  The best source of news I know of is the News subforum of ten forums.

Most stuff is going on there until W10 is actually released.  Then the other subforums will be purged of whatever accumulates in the interim and real problems will be posted.

ayryq:
Am I the only one for whom jump-list (both pinned and frequent) items on the File Explorer taskbar icon do not work? I "pin" all sorts of things and none of them—except "This PC"—open File Explorer or do anything. The same items in the "Quick Access" sidebar work fine, though. This has been the case for the last half-dozen builds or so… not quite sure when it started.

It's the sort of really frustrating bug that I'd think would have been commented on (and fixed) if it were common.
-ayryq (July 12, 2015, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Let me rephrase. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that File Explorer jump lists work in their copy of Windows 10, any build?

TaoPhoenix:
-Stoic Joker (July 16, 2015, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's in one of the FAQs.

And I have no idea about how any of this would work, but I can forsee one of those "2-man small biz operations" where they somehow bulk buy Win10 Pro/Biz copies and resell them to consumers, with the idea that the Microsoft Biz customers get the Biz edition of updates x months after the guinea pig free beta testers "consumers" get hosed by at least one colossal mistake. Then MS sends a memo to Marketing "Hai. Put the Spin Doctor team on this will ya? K-Thx." Then Biz gets the fixed normal update like any other normal update, laughs at the funny stories at lunch, and then they go back to work.

It would be interesting if we had a couple of extra Win-10 threads here and/or ongoing articles/blog columns.

Mouser, you were pondering ideas that after you got the bolts working of the new system, to add more "content". I'm suggesting things like a curated few ongoing blogs with organized info with the Microsoft FAQs, a (by then) "history" section with these pre-launch builds, and more.

I said "a few threads" because one should be neutral and just solve "where did I see that" kinds of things, and then a separate User Experience / Rant thread. (And maybe something else.)

(And to ArizonaHot) No, I can't get "excited" about Win10 - it gives me Heebee-Jeebies!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version