ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (74/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
Perhaps the difference on Vista is due to the fact I bought HP "Media Center" towers.  The HD was totally hogged by Windows Media Player running mobsync.exe to test if every file in the system was a media file.  Also if you installed from retail media I am sure you were better off than buying a machine preloaded.  Between Norton AV and mobsync trying to take over the machine it was totally useless out of the box.  Later I got another tower running Vista x64 SP1 and it was fine.-MilesAhead (July 04, 2015, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vista was a little sluggish when it was first released. It didn't crash, but it was uncharacteristically slow. Once SP1 came out, Microsoft got performance up to where it was supposed to be. Couple that with the shovelware that most OEMs cram on their machines in order to maximize revenue then it's no surprise you felt like you were trying to run in molasses.
-Innuendo (July 05, 2015, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

The annoying part was that most of the problems could have been fixed with tweaks.  The slow file copy needed a code fix.  But the state of the services indicated they just shoved it out the door.  Since Vista was a departure from XP it required a bit of time and study to learn what to tweak.  Probably why it wasn't done somewhere along the line.  Why pay someone when the end user will tweak it for free?  Oh well.  I learned about Vista and ended up on all those W7 W8 W10 forums as well as Vistax64 forum.  :)

4wd:
**Minor caveat when running the Sysinternals SDelete.exe tool, is that in the process of "Zeroing Out the Free Space" it will cause a Dynamically Expanding .vhdx to expand to its full configured size. So if you're overlapping the physical drive space by double-booking it ... This will byte you in the ass.-Stoic Joker (July 05, 2015, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would using cipher /W <drive> be any better?

Deozaan:
No additional software was ever added to the install, so it is only Windows 10 playing games with ~5GB of space. Where is it storing what and why?? The clean install has been running for 24hrs, and is still sitting at it's original ~7GB so I'm assuming it isn't the indexing service(s) using up the space. And trying to get a birds eye view with SpaceSniffer didn't yield anything useful in the way of what was using the space either.-Stoic Joker (July 05, 2015, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that it keeps separate "images" (snapshots) so it can revert to a known working system if an upgrade goes bad.

Stoic Joker:
**Minor caveat when running the Sysinternals SDelete.exe tool, is that in the process of "Zeroing Out the Free Space" it will cause a Dynamically Expanding .vhdx to expand to its full configured size. So if you're overlapping the physical drive space by double-booking it ... This will byte you in the ass.-Stoic Joker (July 05, 2015, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would using cipher /W <drive> be any better?
-4wd (July 05, 2015, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unknown. It's really not a encryption/decryption issue I'm trying to address. It's an issue with compacting a .vhd/.vhdx drive (that has dynamically expanded due to the build update) to reclaim the unused free space. The SDelete -c run was supposed to assist with that according to a TechNet article about how to compact an uncooperative .vhd. And while it did do just that, it also shutdown the lab by overflowing the Host drive ... Which is a - perhaps in retrospect obvious - behavior that was not mentioned in the article.

No additional software was ever added to the install, so it is only Windows 10 playing games with ~5GB of space. Where is it storing what and why?? The clean install has been running for 24hrs, and is still sitting at it's original ~7GB so I'm assuming it isn't the indexing service(s) using up the space. And trying to get a birds eye view with SpaceSniffer didn't yield anything useful in the way of what was using the space either.-Stoic Joker (July 05, 2015, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that it keeps separate "images" (snapshots) so it can revert to a known working system if an upgrade goes bad.
-Deozaan (July 06, 2015, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought of that, but there is nothing I can see. cleanmgr.exe took care of Windows.old and $Windows.~BT, and I checked for shadow copies and file system Previous Versions ... Nothing, nothing, and nothing.

Right now I've got 2 clean loaded 10162 VMs, one pro, one home. Both are sitting at just over the 7GB mark. I'm going to keep a weary eye on them to see if/when one of them starts to bloat, to see if I can figure out why.

TaoPhoenix:

Some quick links:
http://betanews.com/2015/07/06/first-windows-10-rtm-candidate-is-build-10176/

https://buildfeed.net/build/5440

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/6/8899919/microsoft-windows-10-rtm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version