ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (60/253) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I haven't had to sign in with my Microsoft account. I guess that's due to it being an upgrade from an existing Windows 7 installation.-Deozaan (June 21, 2015, 02:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a clean install if you want to use local accounts. You have to select the Company Owned Computer option ... Then it's the same game as Win8.x. If you select the It's My Computer option it's MS Live accounts only (during the OOBE).

Deozaan:
Pretty much identical to my Acer Aspire One ZG5 except I'm using a ZIF PATA drive because it was the first model only available with Linpus on an 8GB ZIF SSD, (AOA110).-4wd (June 21, 2015, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

My netbook originally came with a choice of HDDs, but within the past year I needed an HDD to use as external storage for my WiiU, so I bought an SSD to swap with the netbook's HDD, hoping it would help speed it up and keep it cooler.

Anyway, the point is that the SSD is a recent addition to the netbook. It (the netbook) came with a proprietary SATA -> ??? adapter that plugs onto the end of the drive and connects it to the motherboard/internals, which worked perfectly with the new SSD.

Jibz:
The upgrade notification icon has disappeared from my tray. After a little poking around I found there is an option to reserve your copy in Windows Update instead.

Curt:
I have reserved a copy of Win 10, but am still on Win 7. However, right now I am having a fit, because of this "You must create a Microsoft Account: One login to everything". I trust it's not planned to be misused any time soon, but at the same time I know, it's an evil route, this "you must login" (> Log in, so we can know everything about you <)!

But before I go completely insane, I should ASK if (on Win 10) I will have to login, just to open my PC and fiddle with my locally stored pictures, ebooks and such? Mind you, I am on Win 7, and even though I have a license key for Win 8 Pro, I have never even tried Win 8, mainly because I was told I would have to create a Microsoft Account and log in to it!

But maybe I misunderstood what it is. Maybe my fear of Big Brother made me overreact? So maybe I should first ask 'you' what this "log in to you account" is (or isn't)? Why MUST I have this "account" (I have not yet created such)? Was it not enough that Google knows eveything about me, now Microsoft wants to know even more?!! The pages about the subject tells a lot about what it is, but not about what it isn't. And I am scared of these Big Brother wannabes; they never know what they really are doing! Is the demand to login only if I want to use an online service, or is it also when I just want to use my personal computer (the one that used to be private)? Am I being taken hostage? Is this "login" an enemy in disguise?
:tellme:

4wd:
A Microsoft account is only required if you want to use Microsoft's services, eg. OneDrive, Windows App Store, etc

Otherwise you need only create a local account just like you did for Windows 7.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version