ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (46/253) > >>

KynloStephen66515:

Windows 10 pricing If you’re not upgrading, it’ll cost up to $199  Ars Technica
-Arizona Hot (June 01, 2015, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

From the above link: As previously announced, upgrades from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 are free for the first year of availability.
--- End quote ---

Gotta love ambiguous statements...Does that mean if you upgrade within a year of release...it's free.......or does it mean tha a year after upgrading I will be stuck paying them however much?

The whole thing is becoming more confusing lol...although, I am 99% sure it is simply free if you upgrade within a year (With no sudden "pay us $X" at the end of it)

Jibz:
I wonder how software that uses machine IDs in license activation schemes will stop working. Some developers may get a lot of email come July 29th ;D.

Deozaan:
From the above link: As previously announced, upgrades from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 are free for the first year of availability.
--- End quote ---

Gotta love ambiguous statements...Does that mean if you upgrade within a year of release...it's free.......or does it mean tha a year after upgrading I will be stuck paying them however much?

The whole thing is becoming more confusing lol...although, I am 99% sure it is simply free if you upgrade within a year (With no sudden "pay us $X" at the end of it)-Stephen66515 (June 01, 2015, 09:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stephen, do yourself a favor and read the FAQ by Microsoft. It clears up almost every question you've asked in this thread.

But just because I know you're almost as lazy as I am (:P), the answer is that you don't pay to upgrade after the first year if you've done it within the first year.

It's not that Windows 10 is free for the first year, it's the upgrade that is free for the first year. After that, if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 (because you didn't do it during the first year), you'll have to pay for it.

TaoPhoenix:
Heh so everyone can mark May 1 2016 (or so) on their calendars to be within the upgrade window, and by then more information will be available! And probably at least two minor horror stories! Go Microsoft!

But well before that, it feels like the July 29 release will be pretty bumpy. I'm def interested in the overall evolution of this version of Windows, but MS is kinda known to be rough at the seams with a big OS release.

dr_andus:
Heh so everyone can mark May 1 2016 (or so) on their calendars to be within the upgrade window
-TaoPhoenix (June 02, 2015, 02:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, have just done that  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version