topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684527 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Posting from within Spartan

Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.
Does it use multiple executables?
Yes, I'm showing 4 listed in TM just to get here - New tab == new .exe instance.
Does it do that for every tab? One of the things previous versions of IE was smart about, was doing tab/process grouping - so, unlike insane-o chrome, you don't end up with a zillion processes not executables. The separation of "UI" and "Worker" processes seems like a sound thing to do, but each site in its own processes is... ugh (sure, there's some security implications, but mostly it smells like a "uh, threading and async is hard" thing to me).
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2015, 09:56 AM »
^^ chromium had a command line switch to limit the number of exe instances.  It was something about max render whatever.  I searched for a similar switch in google chrome.  I couldn't find it.  Like right now I have 5 tabs open and there are 11 exe instances running.  It is fast though.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2015, 09:57 AM »
^^ chromium had a command line switch to limit the number of exe instances.  It was something about max render whatever.  I searched for a similar switch in google chrome.  I couldn't find it.  Like right now I have 5 tabs open and there are 11 exe instances running.  It is fast though.  :)

Has to be fast so it can be quick enough to send all your browser activity back to the mothership in real-time. :)

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2015, 03:04 PM »

Has to be fast so it can be quick enough to send all your browser activity back to the mothership in real-time. :)

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

That's why I try to use chromium.  It's open source.  But now they have it so flash won't work with it.  At least I couldn't get it to go.

As far as the mother ship goes, I come from a Paternalistic Planet.  What you Earthlings call the "Mother Ship" we call, roughly translated, the "Father Barge."  It's quite massive.  It moves slowly in space.  An Earthling on a bicycle could beat it 0 - 40 MPH easily.  But it moves quite quickly through time.  That's why you must forgive us if we seem annoyed.  It's just that we have witnessed all this planet's mistakes many times over.  The first 100 or so times it's like a movie where you can watch it again every now and now(for time travelers it is always the present) because you forget the one-liners.  But like M*A*S*H there comes a time when you know when Hawkeye is gonna' do his Groucho impression yet again.

Still, it manages to amuse sufficiently to earn benign neglect. No one has proposed obliteration in a long time now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30 AM »
didnt notice this mentioned (may have missed it)

For now Microsoft is keeping it quiet, but Build 9926 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview released last week can be downloaded and installed via Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
[...]
For now this method comes with a caveat: a small file is needed. Users go to Microsoft’s Technical Preview page and click the ‘Start upgrade now’ button. This downloads the file, you run it and afterwards you will be prompted to restart your PC. On first boot Windows Update will now show ‘Upgrade to Windows 10’ as an option.
-http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/02/windows-10-automatic-install/
my emphasis

is it really ready for fully upgrading OS?
(I wouldnt chance it myself, not yet anyways)
Tom

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2015, 03:00 PM »
is it really ready for fully upgrading OS?
(I wouldnt chance it myself, not yet anyways)
It's a preview, so obviously: no :)

(It's not on general Windows Update yet - WU is just the delivery platform if you opt-in)
- carpe noctem

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37 PM »
^ okay, got it :up:
(was confused by the accessibility via WU bit)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2015, 01:03 AM »

Sliding back a bit towards other parts of Win10, a couple of notes:

- I just saw an article that says a search bar (may?) be hard-coded to sit there starting at you in Win10, and it's part integrated with Bing.

I know that will annoy me, but I expect there's gotta be a way to hide it, at worst from a brilliant hack/tool from someone.

- I try to keep a light eye on what's *not* being said about a version of a Win OS. Here's a nice article that they already tried to clean up the code between Vista and Win7, presumed further in Win8. Win8's noise was mostly UI from what I heard as a layman. Same idea, those tech previews have been floating around for a while now, and except some preview-install silliness, I'm not hearing WinMe/Vista style horror stories.

http://www.osnews.co...t_Windows_7_s_Kernel

Paraphrased, "Win7 was the first time a version of Windows had a smaller footprint than its predecessor." It will be interesting if they managed to do even more of that in Win10.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 06:05 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Microsoft's 'Redstone' An update to Windows 10 due in 2016  ZDNet

It seems like the "one size fits all" OS is going to have big platform dependent modules after all.  ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Posting from within Spartan

Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.
Does it use multiple executables?
Yes, I'm showing 4 listed in TM just to get here - New tab == new .exe instance.
Does it do that for every tab? One of the things previous versions of IE was smart about, was doing tab/process grouping - so, unlike insane-o chrome, you don't end up with a zillion processes not executables. The separation of "UI" and "Worker" processes seems like a sound thing to do, but each site in its own processes is... ugh (sure, there's some security implications, but mostly it smells like a "uh, threading and async is hard" thing to me).

Sorry, it took me a while to get back to this (I didn't have time to fiddle with 10). It starts with 3 for the first tab/page, added a forth for the 2nd tab, then held there for the 3rd tab. Added another for the 4th tab, and held there for the next 7. The 8th tab finally added another instance of the .exe.

So...I'll go with yes on this one.

- I just saw an article that says a search bar (may?) be hard-coded to sit there starting at you in Win10, and it's part integrated with Bing.

It is currently the - search every with tiled MSN like web highlights (ick) - default, but there is an option to remove it ... Which I'd sincerely hope they never drop.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Sorry, it took me a while to get back to this (I didn't have time to fiddle with 10). It starts with 3 for the first tab/page, added a forth for the 2nd tab, then held there for the 3rd tab. Added another for the 4th tab, and held there for the next 7. The 8th tab finally added another instance of the .exe.

So...I'll go with yes on this one.
So they still use tab/process grouping, instead of a process per tab - good :)
- carpe noctem

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2015, 12:10 AM »
What is the difference between windows 8 and windows 10?
-vencelylalas (April 13, 2015, 12:05 AM)

The big news is they rolled back some of the User Interface "UI" weirdness. Some more tweaks in the core. But I'm not sure quite what else between the lines.

I'm waiting for the "sneaky" stuff to appear in the news, and it's surprisingly not here yet - Betas have been floating around a lot, and I haven't seen the surprises I sorta expect. Don't ask me what kind, just that the early news feels like it's got gaps in it somewhere I can't pin down.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2015, 03:54 AM »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Inside Device Guard Microsoft's attempt to keep malware out of Windows 10 PCs

This one made me nervous. They've been trying to turn Windows into iOS for a decade. And they're getting better at "boil-frogging" us. They build in the restrictive tech, sold/marketed/brainswashed as "for X and Y uses", "optional", as defined by a very narrow couple of software settings.

Then later they "make it non-optional in some cases", which is too complex of a story for the general public to follow so they give up and go back to Facebook. MS Wins. They're doing some of that already on the boot loading stuff.

The XP-Win7 lineage seemed to be "mostly harmless" to the user, as "just an OS". But I'm getting the feeling now MS is starting to build groundwork for a few sneaky little tricks this decade, and I'm now going to depend more than ever on top level tech news reporting to tell me where a few of them are so I can try to avoid them!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:06 PM by Arizona Hot »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2015, 05:39 AM »
Build 10074 ISO for download to Insiders

http://www.tenforums...review-iso-file.html

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2015, 03:26 PM »
I was still having problems installing the latest Windows 10 images in VirtualBox.

It turns out that updating VirtualBox appears to have resolved the issue.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2015, 04:38 PM »
I was still having problems installing the latest Windows 10 images in VirtualBox.

It turns out that updating VirtualBox appears to have resolved the issue.

I've given up.  All these things will go on VMWare Player.  But it is so slow on my Laptop I can't stand to run any of them.  I've been messing around trying to boot VHDs directly.  But so far the only OS that actually booted and ran quasi-normally was Windows 2012 Server R2.

For some reason following guides how to boot from a USB stick with UEFI almost never works.  Out of maybe 7 OS I tried I got Windows 8 Pro to actually boot from a stick.  Way disappointing.  I know a lot more of this stuff would work with the old MBR systems.  The transition isn't much fun so far.   ::)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty sluggish for me in VirtualBox.

Another sad thing is that I've gotten to the point with Windows 10 that I did with Ubuntu a few years ago. I get all excited about installing a new version, but once it's installed I just kind of look at the fresh/pristine desktop and think "Now what?"

Other than Windows itself, I'm not really into the Microsoft ecosystem. So I don't want to try out Outlook, or Excel, or Word, or any of the other included apps/programs. The one thing I did want to try out was Project Spartan, but even though Windows 10 popped up something asking me if I wanted to use Project Spartan to open websites, I couldn't find Spartan. Pressing the Windows key and typing in "spartan" led to no search results. :huh:

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2015, 05:11 PM »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty sluggish for me in VirtualBox.

Another sad thing is that I've gotten to the point with Windows 10 that I did with Ubuntu a few years ago. I get all excited about installing a new version, but once it's installed I just kind of look at the fresh/pristine desktop and think "Now what?"

Other than Windows itself, I'm not really into the Microsoft ecosystem. So I don't want to try out Outlook, or Excel, or Word, or any of the other included apps/programs. The one thing I did want to try out was Project Spartan, but even though Windows 10 popped up something asking me if I wanted to use Project Spartan to open websites, I couldn't find Spartan. Pressing the Windows key and typing in "spartan" led to no search results. :huh:

I missed this memo, and haven't read up on what they're doing with Excel. I want to do that when I get some of my focus back.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29 PM »
I don't know if they're doing anything special with Office (except making it an online service, I guess). My point was just that anything I'd want to do on Windows, I wouldn't want to do on a VM that runs so slow. I'm more interested in games, or programming, or stuff I can already do in the browser on my host OS.

I'm not really interested in exploring Windows 10 as an OS. Whereas I felt that Windows Vista/7 brought enough new features and nifty design changes that I was more than willing to jump the ship from XP. But thus far I don't see anything in Windows 10 that is appealing enough to make me want it in place of Windows 7.