topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684652 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 03:38 PM »
The more I look at where Microsoft wants you to "go today" after Windows 7, the happier I am I made the switch to Linux. 8)

I noticed an article, 3 Ways to Run Normal Linux on a Chromebook

Maybe some people who would not ordinarily try Linux will come in through the back door if someone sets it up for them.

I want to give it another go when I can set up some desktops.  I notice just from playing in VMs it's not as frustrating as it used to be.  Some key bindings like for copy and paste are the same as Windows etc..

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 03:32 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Build 9926 ISO

Edit:  Note that you are expected to sign up for the Windows Insider Program if not already enrolled.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:00 AM by MilesAhead »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 07:30 PM »
The $35 credit card sized computer just got much faster.jpg

The $35 credit card sized computer just got much faster    (Raspberry Pi)

Would you want it to run Windows 10?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Preview Microsoft's Universal Office Apps for Windows 10 Now.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Preview Microsoft's Universal Office Apps for Windows 10 Now

But would it run on a Win 10 Raspberry Pi?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Preview Microsoft's Universal Office Apps for Windows 10 Now

But would it run on a Win 10 Raspberry Pi?

Please note that the freebie Windows 10 for the Pi isn't without some gotchas. It's not a free release for general use. It's part of  a developer program:

Windows 10

For the last six months we’ve been working closely with Microsoft to bring the forthcoming Windows 10 to Raspberry Pi 2. Microsoft will have much more to share over the coming months. The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

Visit WindowsOnDevices.com today to join the Windows Developer Program for IoT and receive updates as they become available.

If you go to the above referenced Microsoft page, you will see a lot of exciting and lovely things to read about. Plus information about how to join the program. But it's only if you scroll way to the bottom that you'll finally see this:

Screenshot from 2015-02-04 19:21:44.png

So those of you who are thinking in terms of business and commercial uses, please understand Microsoft isn't going to be doing anything to get you there for free. This deal is for "makers" - or "tinkerers" as I like to think of them. The EULA can be found here. This part (highlighted) is where it's shows the restriction:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Installation and Use.

·         You may install and test one copy of the software on your premises.

·        You may not test the software in a live operating environment unless Microsoft permits you to do so under another agreement.

b. Third Party Programs. The software contains third party programs.  The terms that come with those programs apply, unless otherwise stated in those terms.

Strictly for dev testing. No live use. 8)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:12 PM by 40hz »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the screenshot. I'm glad to see that the developers finally have control of their Caps-Lock key, so the menus can have lowercase letters as well! This has been one of the two things I hate most about the current version.

(The other thing I hate about the current version is that you can no longer set Outlook to show the first few lines for only *new* messages.)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Windows 10 for RPi 2 isn't what people think it will be. From what I've heard, it will essentially turn the device into an Arduino with an MS-DOS prompt. You wouldn't want to use it for anything other than development testing anyway.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2015, 03:19 AM »
I've tried the latest Win 10 preview a bit in Virtualbox. Like it! I can so far only see improvements compared to 8.1. Like before we can opt out of logging in with a Microsoft account at install. 10 feels like the heir to Win7 Microsoft should have made in the first place.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2015, 03:52 AM »
I've tried the latest Win 10 preview a bit in Virtualbox. Like it! I can so far only see improvements compared to 8.1. Like before we can opt out of logging in with a Microsoft account at install. 10 feels like the heir to Win7 Microsoft should have made in the first place.

that sounds promising!
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34 AM »
Also there seems to be hints that Aero may make a comeback.  I get the feeling they would like to see people request it or "vote" for it via feedback.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Clipboard.jpg
The number of the beast. Does this mean that Deozaan is more evil.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 04:39 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)The number of the beast. Does this mean that Deozaan is more evil.

Heh.  A lot of cab companies here in Miami have phone numbers like 444-4444(so the drunks can just keep jabbing one finger I suppose.)  I've also seen 777-7777.  But I haven't seen a cab with 666-6666 on its side.  :)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 08:01 AM »
I was going to put this in its own thread, but I guess I'll just toss it in here - Win 10 Outlook & Exchange not playing nice.

Okay, so for reasons that aren't important I needed to setup Outlook to connect to a users (Microsoft Hosted) Exchange mailbox. Being that for fun I though I'd try doing it in the Windows 10 VM ... I started with Outlook 2007 to see if/how compatible it might be. The auto configure ran, found the server, found the account, and then went into a loop prompting me for the credentials, which while correct were not being accepted.

Being that auto configure was new in/for 2007, I then upgraded it to Outlook 2010, and that too exhibited the same credential prompting ill behavior. I didn't have time to try Office 2013, so that option got skipped. I had to use a copy of 2010 in Windows 7 to get the job done.

One thing I did notice during this is when I attempted to go the hosted Exchange login page (portal.microsoftonline.com) in IE, I got redirected to some other (apparently new) MS service page I've never heard of. So I'm wondering if that redirection - which appears to be buried in the bowels of the OS - is what was killing the Outlook auto config connection. Neither the VM host machine, or any of the other VM's got bounced to this other (odd service that I can't remember the name of - Sorry) page ... And it was a vanilla install of the latest Windows 10 CTP.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Maybe the Outlook/Office you were using hadn't all the necessary patches? That would be my first guess. Besides, What version of Exchange is running? If your Outlook is 2 versions older than the Exchange it connects to...your usually SOL.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Maybe the Outlook/Office you were using hadn't all the necessary patches? That would be my first guess.

Yeah, mine too...that's why I did a quick upgrade to Outlook 2010 in case there was a hiccup in 2007's auto config code.

Besides, What version of Exchange is running?

It's a MS Hosted Exchange Server - Office 365 E1 package/Microsoft Cloud service.

If your Outlook is 2 versions older than the Exchange it connects to...your usually SOL.

Understood ... But this is something I've done many times from other OS's (WinXP - 8, phones, tablets, etc.) and never had a problem. It was only the Win 10 VM that wouldn't/couldn't connect. The Win7 VM I tossed together to use also used the same Outlook 2010 install...yet connected just fine. I tried 10 after 7 connected - incase it was a fluke - but still no joy. Last with Friday 10&10 no connect, this Monday, no connect, yesterday I didn't have time to screw with it ... And today (shortly after making to initial post) it strangely connected. But I also didn't get the redirected to a strange new service page when I tried taking Win 10 to the Exchange Online web access page today either..

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Windows 10 targets current pirates with free update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 targets current pirates with free update - CNET

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2015, 02:48 PM »
So those of you who are thinking in terms of business and commercial uses, please understand Microsoft isn't going to be doing anything to get you there for free. This deal is for "makers" - or "tinkerers" as I like to think of them. The EULA can be found here. This part (highlighted) is where it's shows the restriction:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Installation and Use.

·         You may install and test one copy of the software on your premises.

·         You may not test the software in a live operating environment unless Microsoft permits you to do so under another agreement.

b. Third Party Programs. The software contains third party programs.  The terms that come with those programs apply, unless otherwise stated in those terms.

Strictly for dev testing. No live use. 8)
Fair enough, IMHO - you can play with it for free, use it for hobby projects et cetera. Or you can use it while prototyping an idea - if it seems like you can monetize that idea, it's not really that unfair to pay for licenses :)
- carpe noctem

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Aside from all the Apps vs Desktop and plain Jane UI vs Glass, it seems each release of Windows sticks more stuff between the OS and the user.  It's to the point where just reading windows and moving them on the desktop requires utilities to Run As Administrator.  A bit silly really.  :)
Tightening up security is a good thing. Most stuff that breaks on newer Windows versions are usually violating basic rules that have been around since the days of NT4.

Not being able to read another process' windows without admin privs might be a bit of a chore, but it does up the bar for malware. Considering Windows is the OS for the 99%, this is A Good Thing(TM). And going through UAC (or, better, for us power users, providing credentials for the admin user since our main Windows user isn't an administrator) isn't really worse than using sudo on *u*x.
- carpe noctem